Sponsored by:

Question regarding sizing with a Boxster 718

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 01:37 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Question regarding sizing with a Boxster 718

Hello, tall lanky person (42" from waist to floor in my shoes) prospective owner of a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 is wondering if they will fit in the car with the seats set as far back as possible. I am asking because there are no cars in dealer showrooms to do a fit test.

Thanks in advance to all who reply to this post.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:50 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Should be no problem...there are a few u-tube tests where the driver is quite tall and has no problems fitting.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:01 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Just find any used 718, same interior space…
Old 08-14-2021, 03:18 AM
csklsc
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Hello, tall lanky person (42" from waist to floor in my shoes) prospective owner of a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 is wondering if they will fit in the car with the seats set as far back as possible. I am asking because there are no cars in dealer showrooms to do a fit test.

Thanks in advance to all who reply to this post.
Any 718 new or used will help with understanding sizing. Strongly suggest trying fit in person because reading all the threads will not give you a definitive answer.
For reference, I stand 43" waist to floor with no shoes and fit comfortably in my 2021 CGTS 4.0. From an overall size perspective, I am 6' 3" and about 220 lbs. I had previously ruled out ever fitting in a Cayman after at least 3 attempts over the last 10 years at various dealers who did not understand how fractions of an inch could make a difference and never bothered to differentiate between seat options. I finally found the combination that worked last year with the help of a very experienced Porsche salesperson of similar size in the SF Bay Area - 14 way seats with the sport steering wheel.

Note that I have since tried the 2 way, the 14 way, and the 18 way seats. For knee room, having the sport steering wheel instead of the carbon fiber steering wheel is also important for the slightly smaller diameter. There are several variables that may affect how others of similar proportions would fit including but not limited to: preferred driving position, heel and toe shifting vs PDK, track days which may require incremental headroom for a helmet, shoulder width which affects fit in the various seatbacks, preference or not of subtle or more pronounced leg bolsters, seat height which affects how far back the seat can be adjusted, etc... Certainly there are body types with similar dimensions who have probably found preference with other combinations.

Hopefully this has provided you some ideas on how you might proceed with exploring fit. Finding used 718's in the Bay Area at Porsche dealers to try fitting shouldn't be too difficult and while you're there, you can find out about allocations which may currently be the bigger challenge.

The following 2 users liked this post by csklsc:
Dan Nagy (08-14-2021), slilley (08-14-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 05:48 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm 6 feet 255 lbs dealer told me to get the F)(**)( out you fat bastard. I fit no problem. I have a '19 GTS. I was very happy to be able to sit in one at a dealer only an hour away. Was a '18 Cayman GTS WITH the 16 way seats. Then I found a '19 Boxster S an hour in the other direction to test drive. It had the base manual two way seats. And as such was a no go due to the backs of the seat being narrower. This makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. So be sure to try the different seats. There must be at least one Cayman/Boxster in your area you can 'ask politely to sit in.'

Mike

Old 08-30-2021, 08:51 PM
SunnySF
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 6', 165lbs, 42" from the waist to the floor. I fit perfectly fine in my 718 Cayman with a few inches to spare and equally so in a 718 boxster.
The following users liked this post:
aCayenneFan (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:56 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnySF
I'm 6', 165lbs, 42" from the waist to the floor. I fit perfectly fine in my 718 Cayman with a few inches to spare and equally so in a 718 boxster.
Now we are talking! Out of curiosity, what type of seats do you have in your Cayman? 18-ways? Or?
Old 08-31-2021, 12:19 PM
SunnySF
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Now we are talking! Out of curiosity, what type of seats do you have in your Cayman? 18-ways? Or?
I have the 14-way seats. For daily driving, I keep the seat adjusted low with some/moderate angle to the seat back. I still have about 2" of space to push the seat back more before it touches the rear firewall. On the track I'll adjust the seat about 2"-3" closer to the pedals for quicker steering and pedal response. And there's plenty of headroom with my helmet on.

Last edited by SunnySF; 08-31-2021 at 12:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aCayenneFan (08-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Question regarding sizing with a Boxster 718