Sponsored by:

Regular Driving Season coming to a close

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 12:02 PM
WJT718
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Regular Driving Season coming to a close

Living in NEO, the regular carefree driving season is coming to a close. My Cayman (my first Porsche) got caught in the Covid shutdown but still arrived in early July this year. Covid cancelled pretty much all of my longer road trip plans but I did manage to get through the break in miles. Now 5 months in I am still completely in love with it. The handling on the P-0 tires with the PVT and PASM is amazing and I know I have come no where near pushing this car to its limits. I have gotten out on some beautiful Sunday morning drives with the local PCA chapter, being in a line of 10-15 Porsches on some fantastic backroads is a lot of fun.

Going to take advantage of the nice weather that is predicted for part of the weekend and give the car a good wash and wax and then it will be into the garage to await the adventures of next year. I do have to say I am giving a lot of thought to getting a wheel and tire set with All season tires so I can extend the driving season.

I should be getting the Zunnsport front grill set and installing it over the winter.

A long winded way to say I really enjoyed the summer with my first Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by WJT718:
AlexCeres (11-18-2020), Vgj (11-17-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:12 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I understand, here in update NY (Snowbelt) mine will not be out that often soon. Not getting AS/or winter tires. I do take mine out if the roads are dry and even with the cold I just don t push the car or tires. I just feel better about starting and driving the car once in a while instead of having it sit. I once put AS on my 911 and then never really used it in bad weather anyway. It rode smoother and quieter but at a great loss to handling . Battery charger is standing by and I also signed up for the insurance driver plug in program which I have on my other two cars and it reduced my rates nicely (20% ish). With the car garaged and not pushing it even if it goes out in the cold my driving appears great, LOL.
The following users liked this post:
BoxsirGTS18 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:39 PM
Max718-19
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NC provides dry sunny day for a good drive at least once a month in Jan, Feb, Mar. I will tuck our Boxster in on the lift and charger after Thanksgiving. Dec will have a few commuting days. Snowmobiles keep the winter blues away.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:46 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

I have snow tires on my cayman s mainly for the softer compound, and i intend to drive all winter...just not with snow on the roads. In CT we get snow storms which tend to melt off within a few days. The 18" snows have more sidewall for the potholes that plows open up. The driving season isn't ending here
The following 2 users liked this post by modifieda4:
AviBen (11-18-2020), WJT718 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:28 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by modifieda4
I have snow tires on my cayman s mainly for the softer compound, and i intend to drive all winter...just not with snow on the roads. In CT we get snow storms which tend to melt off within a few days. The 18" snows have more sidewall for the potholes that plows open up. The driving season isn't ending here
Same here, run 18" snows on my GTS. Heated seats and steering wheel makes it a joy to drive in the colder months.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:36 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Todd B
Same here, run 18" snows on my GTS. Heated seats and steering wheel makes it a joy to drive in the colder months.
yup, heated seats are definitely an option that is worth every penny in cold climates.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:39 PM
BoxsirGTS18
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by modifieda4
Do you not mind the road salt and chemicals on the roads after snowfall, even though the snow may be gone?
Old 11-19-2020, 04:58 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Last two posts are from ma and ct, I m update NY and just took a short ride today to keep all the fluids moving etc... I have summer tires and just take it slow in the cold and never in ice or snow. I have had a few Porsches , some used all winter and some not. Looks like I won t use the GTS unless roads are clear/dry. A little salt dust won t hurt anything.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:12 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Originally Posted by BoxsirGTS18
Do you not mind the road salt and chemicals on the roads after snowfall, even though the snow may be gone?
i will mind, i wont drive on 'sloppy' roads. typically snow falls are followed by warm weather and rain which helps clear the roads.

Quick Reply: Regular Driving Season coming to a close