Sponsored by:

3M clear plastic to protect from stone chips

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 PM
louloumax
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M clear plastic to protect from stone chips

Is anyone applying clear plastic stone guard material to side panels of your 718? I had a corvette that came with factory plastic in front of the rear wheel wells. It worked well. I'm not sure what areas are in harm's way on the cayman and it would be better to know now not later. Looking for advice, please.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 PM
jimmuller
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer offered the clear plastic layer, for a price of course. I took it and am happy with it. It covers all the forward facing exterior, including the front of the mirrors. No side panels though.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM
louloumax
AutoX

Originally Posted by jimmuller
My dealer offered the clear plastic layer, for a price of course. I took it and am happy with it. It covers all the forward facing exterior, including the front of the mirrors. No side panels though.
Jim, let me know if you notice any nicks on the side as time passes.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Most folks here who have PPF installed, cover the rocker panels, the entire front of the car, and the side view mirrors. That's typically going to run you about $3K - $4K for professional installation, regardless if you use 3M or XPEL, or some other high quality brand.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 AM
napiers porsche
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, I had Xpel included at the Porsche Experience Center and the cost was $2,500 for the full coverage. I drive on the road a lot and am very happy with my choice, but it is expensive. Nose bras don't seem to be available these days.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:40 AM
jimmuller
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by louloumax
Jim, let me know if you notice any nicks on the side as time passes.
Rhetorical question: How much time needs to pass?

After 5500 miles I see no nicks on the sides.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 AM
louloumax
AutoX

Wink

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Rhetorical question: How much time needs to pass?

After 5500 miles I see no nicks on the sides.
Give it another 4500 miles and report back. Seriously, I was curious on the corvette how successful the factory patches worked. I started feeling roughness [not paint loss] after about 8k miles. By 60k, there was some primer peeking thru the paint below the plastic area at rocker panel height. Too low to repaint, but if I could go back I would extend the factory protection.
BTW, the windshield at 60k looked like it had been sandblasted with ex fine grit if the lighting and dirty were reflecting just right.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:23 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is what environment you drive in. Some areas are likely pretty easy on cars. In AZ where I live if you don't put PPF on every surface that is exposed to air/debris as your driving you are going to end up with a pitted surface quickly. Here most of us just factor PPF as a part of the acquisition cost. Personally I think the 3M product is far behind Xpel in terms of transparency.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:08 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

I had Suntek installed on both our Cayman and Boxster that covers the entire front clip and exterior mirrors. They also have the strip under the doors and around the side intakes covered. I originally had only half the front covered on the Boxster with Xpel and after a year it was very noticeable turning slightly yellow on the white paint. If you decide to PPF your car find the best installer you can find and wrap the entire front end. Don’t just wrap half the front clip. I found the Suntek to be clearer and sleeker than the XPEL. Both are self healing.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:25 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
I had Suntek installed on both our Cayman and Boxster that covers the entire front clip and exterior mirrors. They also have the strip under the doors and around the side intakes covered. I originally had only half the front covered on the Boxster with Xpel and after a year it was very noticeable turning slightly yellow on the white paint. If you decide to PPF your car find the best installer you can find and wrap the entire front end. Don’t just wrap half the front clip. I found the Suntek to be clearer and sleeker than the XPEL. Both are self healing.

Totally agree, never cover just the front part of the hood, fenders etc. To save a few hundred bucks but end up with that terrible seam is silly.

Quick Reply: 3M clear plastic to protect from stone chips