Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the base sound system really this bad???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:47 AM
AJAK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the base sound system really this bad???

Had my 718 Cayman base about a month now. Love it. Does exactly what I bought it to do, except one thing.

Mostly I listen to the engine and exhaust, not the sound system. But once in a while I like to turn up a song loud. So this past weekend I turned it up a little less than halfway. The song did not even have a lot of base. The front speakers were vibrating really bad. It sounded horrible. Is this normal? I have the factory settings on it as far as fade, balance, base, and treble are concerned. My 1998 stripper Toyota Tacoma stereo sounded better and it had 2 speakers.

Anyone else experience this? Did you tweak the settings to improve the sound quality? This just seems ridiculous for a car with otherwise outstanding engineering.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM
skeeter714
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah it's pretty awful. I have a reasonably loaded Cayman S with all the bells and whistles EXCEPT for the audio.

The only audio system that I can compare it to was the 'system' I had installed when I was a clueless highschooler (read: broke) in 1999 who took in his stripper 3-series to a back alley audio shop in Santa Ana, Ca. I got a neon light Jensen CD deck and puny, pathetic speakers to match.

My cayman sounds similar to that and I promise you I am not melodramatic - struggling to find a tweak to make it audible. I'm not some audiophile and listen to talk radio when I'm in my cayman if I listen to anything at all.

Sure I get it- these cars were made for driving and enjoying and all of that, but I never had this accute of an audio situation with any of my M3s before, even with the 'base' audio.

My suggestion to anyone speccing out these cars- budget that $1k for Bose at the very least.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:03 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This complaint never seems to go away. Neither of mine had great sounding systems either. And the shape of the deck makes it more complicated to switch out. I had to replace one of the units under warranty and forgot the 'cost' - but I about fell out when I saw it.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skeeter714
Yeah it's pretty awful. I have a reasonably loaded Cayman S with all the bells and whistles EXCEPT for the audio.

The only audio system that I can compare it to was the 'system' I had installed when I was a clueless highschooler (read: broke) in 1999 who took in his stripper 3-series to a back alley audio shop in Santa Ana, Ca. I got a neon light Jensen CD deck and puny, pathetic speakers to match.

My cayman sounds similar to that and I promise you I am not melodramatic - struggling to find a tweak to make it audible. I'm not some audiophile and listen to talk radio when I'm in my cayman if I listen to anything at all.

Sure I get it- these cars were made for driving and enjoying and all of that, but I never had this accute of an audio situation with any of my M3s before, even with the 'base' audio.

My suggestion to anyone speccing out these cars- budget that $1k for Bose at the very least.
Like you I enjoy listening to talk radio. These damn speakers even vibrate when I listen to NPR!
Old 01-28-2019, 02:04 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nifty911
This complaint never seems to go away. Neither of mine had great sounding systems either. And the shape of the deck makes it more complicated to switch out. I had to replace one of the units under warranty and forgot the 'cost' - but I about fell out when I saw it.
Oh I don't doubt it's the most expensive crappy sound system on the planet.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:14 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd like to come in on the other side.

2017 Boxster. Porsche standard sound system. It's pretty good, I have no complaints.
Although because I listen seriously at home, and because I drive top down most of the time the system gets drowned out at anything but city cruising speed. I've never tried to "turn it up!" as my hearing is already slightly damaged from enjoying loud music.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Max718-19
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very disappointed by base system in the 987 Boxster I almost bought. Ponied up for Bose in the 718 Boxster I ordered. My 2 cents are add 900 to base price and make Bose base. Sound is good top down at 80 in Mexico
Old 01-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have never paid for it in a new car, but the CPO 718 CS that I bought came with the Burmester sound system. I'm pretty happy that it did, as it rocks the car pretty good. Yay for extreme depreciation of such options on used cars!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM
napiers porsche
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just took delivery of a new 718 with the base audio and I don't have of the problems you describe. I am happier with the sound quality than I thought I would be.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by napiers porsche
I just took delivery of a new 718 with the base audio and I don't have of the problems you describe. I am happier with the sound quality than I thought I would be.
Interesting. Did you tweak the base & treble any particular way? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I'd like to come in on the other side.

2017 Boxster. Porsche standard sound system. It's pretty good, I have no complaints.
Although because I listen seriously at home, and because I drive top down most of the time the system gets drowned out at anything but city cruising speed. I've never tried to "turn it up!" as my hearing is already slightly damaged from enjoying loud music.
How did you tweak the settings? Thank you!
Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM
napiers porsche
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well yes, I went into the decision tree regarding the radio and adjusted the bass and treble. I like more treble and that seems to make a big difference in the sound.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche Lee (07-03-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:21 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by napiers porsche
Well yes, I went into the decision tree regarding the radio and adjusted the bass and treble. I like more treble and that seems to make a big difference in the sound.
I did as well and not much improved. Thought maybe I missed something. I guess I'll make the best of it. Small nuisance on an otherwise awesome car.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I found I had to turn the bass DOWN by a couple of clicks. When stationary the bass overwhelmed the rest of the music--and I can't hear it anyway when the car is moving at any sort of speed (i.e.--not parking lot speed).
Old 04-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there any aftermarket fix for the base system?

Quick Reply: Is the base sound system really this bad???