Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the base sound system really this bad???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 05:06 PM
Red991S
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

agree with others above about the bass/treble. I bought a car off a dealer lot with a base stereo. while it's not the best, its servicable. I did adjust the bass down and the treble up. When left factory the bass both vibrates the speakers a bit but also makes it impossible to hear lyrics in songs etc. a little tweaking and it's totally fine for everyday use. frankly the engine is so loud and sounds so good (despite what others say), who'd want to overpower it with a symphony anyway?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 AM
Tanaka
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJAK
Had my 718 Cayman base about a month now. Love it. Does exactly what I bought it to do, except one thing.

Mostly I listen to the engine and exhaust, not the sound system. But once in a while I like to turn up a song loud. So this past weekend I turned it up a little less than halfway. The song did not even have a lot of base. The front speakers were vibrating really bad. It sounded horrible. Is this normal? I have the factory settings on it as far as fade, balance, base, and treble are concerned. My 1998 stripper Toyota Tacoma stereo sounded better and it had 2 speakers.

Anyone else experience this? Did you tweak the settings to improve the sound quality? This just seems ridiculous for a car with otherwise outstanding engineering.

Thanks for the help!
I've got the base system in a boxster. I don't notice any problems with my helmet on. :-) Actually, it isn't that bad without the helmet, but I usually turn it off anyway. I can listen to music at home. I'm in the car for other reasons.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJAK
I did as well and not much improved. Thought maybe I missed something. I guess I'll make the best of it. Small nuisance on an otherwise awesome car.
Each audio source has it's own EQ settings. If you adjust the bass/treble/fader/balance for the tuner, when you switch to the CD player or CarPlay, you have to adjust them individually as well. Rolling off the back speakers, add in some treble, a little less bass and you'll be better off.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Good advice to set the bass/treble for each source. I increased treble on FM HD and when I listened to Sirius/XM the sibilance (s sounds) were horrific!! So I backed off the treble for Sirius, and its okay now. So far my speakers don't vibrate. At first, I thought about changing out the speakers but I don't think its worth the effort. The tweeters are in the vents, I believe.

FWIW, complaints about crappy stereo are common in most sports cars. I paid extra for Bose in my Miata and Corvette and was never satisfied with the bass heavy sound.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a 2018 Base Boxster 718 with the base audio and it is just OK. The overall sound quality is much better using media off my iPhone rather than the radio. Sirius XM is in between. I set the bass to one notch below middle. This system can't handle too much bass without booming. I also boost treble a notch or two with better sources. Audio is especially important as finally getting used to the sound of the engine and always drive in sport unless I need what I call stealth mode.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 AM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes
Old 06-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
Yes
You know, they complain about the base and optional Harmon-Kardan sound systems in the Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV. When I move from my Cayman (base sound) to my wife's Stelvio I think "wow, what a nice sound". Ha!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Porsche Lee
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha! The one option my dealership almost insisted on was the Bose sound system over the stock. It sounds very good although as an audiophile I wonder what the ribbon tweeters in a Burmester system could do. The Bose is especially good with Tidal and CarPlay even unfolds MQA files I listen to.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:11 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

We have the Bose system in our Cayman GTS. My wife dumped her iTunes to an SD card and i loaded that into the SD slot. I already have my iTunes in the other slot. I cranked up Deep Purple Highway Star while sitting in the garage without the engine running. I actually called her down to the garage to heat it because it sounded so good. This tells me that if the Bose isn't competing with road noise & engine noise it can sound quite good. We'll find out what it's like this weekend when we take her on a trip. We've already decided to start the trip with that tune. I'm hoping it's as awesome then as before.
My experience with my iTunes on SD (generally classical) is that music on SD card is infinitely better than either FM or satellite. I haven't tried streaming from a phone so can't comment on that.
I have no experience with the stock system.
FWIW & MOO
The following users liked this post:
Porsche Lee (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

here's your answer....I listen to NPR!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 550 Posts

These cars are so noisy, I'm not convinced any system makes much difference. The base system in the .2's is like the old premium system. I've had the base (in 991.2-3rs) and the Bose (in 991.2-Gt3). The quality of roads I'm on has WAY more to do with SQ than which system I'm listening to.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Lee
Ha! The one option my dealership almost insisted on was the Bose sound system over the stock. It sounds very good although as an audiophile I wonder what the ribbon tweeters in a Burmester system could do. The Bose is especially good with Tidal and CarPlay even unfolds MQA files I listen to.
Burmester is amazing, try it!
Top tip 2; Go over to a Bentley dealership and experience their Naim system if you want to have a blissful car audio experience.

I could live with standard audio as audio snob because whilst not being a good system, it adds no extra cost. I'd rate it 'ok' by the way.
With Bose I'd be annoyed to have dropped money and not gotten the experience I could have had with Burmester.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:48 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
These cars are so noisy, I'm not convinced any system makes much difference.... The quality of roads I'm on has WAY more to do with SQ than which system I'm listening to.
I agree. I'm pleasantly surprised by the base system on the few times I've had the top up in the 718 Boxster I picked up recently, especially since the 18" goodyears it came with have almost no road noise. But with the top down, and keeping the RPMs above 3K, manual transmission, in sport mode with PSE engaged, it's hard to believe any sound system can overcome that.

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
Burmester is amazing, try it!..
No!!! I wouldn't want to find out that you're right. I't be like trying out a Porsche when you've thought sports sedans were fun cars.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Ray831
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had both in Boxsters. The Bose is fine if you are not a discerning listener. With the top down the Bose simply cannot get loud enough without severe distortion. My current Boxster has the Burmester and it is worlds above the bose at all listening levels except at very low levels where they are mostly the same. At moderate levels and above the Burmester is amazing.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:20 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 276 Posts

Can Apple Carplay be added to the Bose system after the fact, or is it standard with the Bose option. Considering a nice 2018 718 Boxster GTS with Bose but don’t know too much about it. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Is the base sound system really this bad???