Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist told me to wait for PDK! Would you buy a 1st year PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

purry - if you see a silver 997S stalking you, it's me. i drove up from seattle to take off your bumper like dan tought me in his other post. i'm replacing it with silver.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:22 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Cobalt blue is available,--just priced higher now with the Paint To Sample.

PDK should be sorted out by now,--they have been lurking around the autobahns with it for a few years already.

Avoid silver 911s. It's been reported elsewhere that Porsche puts the weakest dynoed engines into the silver cars,--knowing that the owners won't know any difference!
Dan: Are you joking re silver Porsches? Does that also apply to meteor or slate? are white safe? I imagine then that red or yellow are the fastest

Re first year reliability what do you think about the new engine?

Last edited by ADias; 07-20-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,131 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
In the summer of 2007 I was thinking about what options to order on a 2008 C2S. Since I wanted a Tip many suggested waiting for DSG. Seems that PDK is finally here with an updated body style.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/363346-is-10-405-too-much-to-spend-on-options-many-noob-questions-inside.html

I will likely order a car with these limited options, some I am not sure of (?):
911 Carrera S
Cobalt Blue Metallic, Grey, or Silver (the cheapest color, I am not spending $4K on paint)
Leather Sport Seats
Black Sport Seats
Power Seats (?)
Self Dimming Mirrors (?)
PDK
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Floor Mats in Interior Color
Porsche Crest in Headrests
Door Entry Guards in Stainless Steel (?)
BOSE High End Sound Package (not sure if this is worth the $ ?)

New questions:
1) Would you buy the first year PDK? (It's not proven yet, and I am sure it will have it's issues. Even Honda has issues with first year transmissions.)

2) As much as I like Cobalt Blue the two dealers I spoke with cringed when I mentioned that color. Seems it's a slow seller and tough to sell used?

3) Would anyone recommend buying a used 05-08 C2S w/Tip? This car will be a daily driver in SoCal traffic. I am not the type to put the car in the garage and baby it. I don't want to live my life driving a beater, if I spend 50-100K on a Porsche I should enjoy it, not baby it for the next owner.

4) Is there talk of a Hybrid Diesel 911? (I would like a 75 mpg 911. As long as it was somewhat quick, maybe 0-60 in 6 seconds.)
I would definitely add Sport Chrono to your order. It gives you more options for the PDK shifting and launch control as well. I think it's a must-have option on a manual gearbox too, since it allows for much better heel-toe shifting (otherwise throttle pedal mostly dead when pressing the brake).
Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
purry - if you see a silver 997S stalking you, it's me. i drove up from seattle to take off your bumper like dan tought me in his other post. i'm replacing it with silver.
Fair enough, thanks for the heads-up!

I'm sure any us would welcome the opportunity to be stalked by something other than the hordes of hot women that relentlessly pursue us because of our gorgeous rides...

oh, sorry - I forgot; you do drive a silver car, don't you?

Just ignore my last remark, wrong audience, you wouldn't know anything about being pursued by beautiful women.

er, ah... sorry.

Carry on.

Last edited by purrybonker; 07-20-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: emoticon added - wouldn't want to be taken seriously...
Old 07-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Dan: Are you joking re silver Porsches? Does that also apply to meteor or slate? are white safe? I imagine then that red or yellow are the fastest

Re first year reliability what do you think about the new engine?
I would pass on the first DI year. Just something I always do,--avoid that first major change year. I've found with Porsche that no matter how much they test things out they can't replicate what a bunch of owners can possibly do to a car!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would pass on the first DI year. Just something I always do,--avoid that first major change year. I've found with Porsche that no matter how much they test things out they can't replicate what a bunch of owners can possibly do to a car!
I couldn't agree more but I wouldn't limit my answer to Porsche. Even Toyota/Lexus and Honda have "birthing" problems with first year cars.

If you intend to lease the car... knock yourself out. But if you're going to buy... hold off a year.

And as far as the color is concerned... buy what you like. Worrying about color resale is just silly, IMO. You're buying the car for you... not the next owner. And cars are all ****ty investments anyway.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
lgascoig
Racer

Cobalt blue is available,--just priced higher now with the Paint To Sample.
The original poster said he didn't want to spend $4k on paint so I assumed he thought it was still $690.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cobalt blue is available,--just priced higher now with the Paint To Sample...

Avoid silver 911s. It's been reported elsewhere that Porsche puts the weakest dynoed engines into the silver cars,--knowing that the owners won't know any difference!
Funny, but I'm certain they put the pooch motors in the "paint to sample" cars knowing those guys will never ever run over 5000 RPMs
Old 07-28-2008, 12:32 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

I agree with what many have already said. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have never bought a sports car in a color for resale. Buy it in the color you like. As your posted stated, you aren't going to baby it and you want to drive it as a daily driver and you aren't saving it for the next owner. So for the same reasons you have for those statements get the color you want. In the long run you will be happier.

Regarding PDK. As I have been sitting thinking of what I want to order on my 997 GenII. I have to say that I go back and forth on the PDK. At times I think yes I should order it and then I think no go for the manual. But none of my reasons are based on apprehension about the quality of the PDK or first year issues. The car is under warranty and if you are leasing it it makes less of a difference. And as others have mentioned you hear the people who complain about the issues they are having, which is fine as it alerts the rest of us to what some of the issues have been and how to correct them. But it shouldn't prevent you from ordering your car with it.

Just my few cents.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharptt
Funny, but I'm certain they put the pooch motors in the "paint to sample" cars knowing those guys will never ever run over 5000 RPMs
LOL !!!

(Is a POOCH motor something like Punched Out Obtaining Cosmic amounts of Horsepower?)
Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
did he say diesel 911? .............I'll be right back, gotta go wash my eyes out.....
How are your eyes? I thought the diesel could be in the cards since Audi had a diesel high end car. The car would likely have more torque then any 911 to date.

Here is an idea of what I had in mind...

http://www.audiusdiesel.com/launchpa...rHead=launch10
Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

As much as I like Cobalt Blue the two dealers I spoke with cringed when I mentioned that color. Seems it's a slow seller and tough to sell used?

I love the crap dealers come up with. Just last night I was at Rusnak and Sam the salesman tells me that they don't take in any '05 911's because they all seem to be abused. What? Yes, aparently an entire year model of 997's is off limits on trade in due to the abuse by the owners. Amazing!

Since sales people always tell the truth, so I have now crossed off the '05 911 from my list and I will never look at them the same again.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Any updates on the durability of the PDK?

Quick Reply: Rennlist told me to wait for PDK! Would you buy a 1st year PDK?