Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were to buy a replica, from which company?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Rhino
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default If you were to buy a replica, from which company?

I looked for past threads on this but only found threads about the pros and cons of buying a replica. If you were to buy a 550 spyder replica ( I would rather spend my $500K else where), who would you buy from? I have looked at Chuck becks, Thunder Ranch and Automotive legends so far. Does anyone here own either a 550 or 356 replica? If so , how do you like it and who did you buy from? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Rhino
Old 02-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a vintage 550A spyder. I sold it reluctantly last march because of a new baby.

It was the best sportscar I have every owned. Performance wise it had a 2109cc with
150hp and the car weighed 1350 dry. 0-60 it was faster than my 996.
Also it attracted so much attention on the road, people always were fascinated by it.

Before I purchased it I did much research on vintage, beck and TR.
For me the Vintage Spyder was superior in quality and build.
The only drawback was that it took Vintage 1 1/2 years to complete it.

The funds I received from the sale of my Spyder are going towards a
904 replica soon.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Vintage very similar to Rico's description. I bought mine privately about two years ago when it had 968 miles on the odo. Mine has the big engine...PO says it dynoed at 152 to the rear wheels. PO had an additional oil cooler installed at no small expense that doubled oil capacity....it's a great driver.

It is a very unique car. As Rico says, it's a fantastic sports car. The power/weight ratio is enviable. It's raw, LOUD, and fast. It's also the greatest head turner you will ever drive. Seriously! People are fascinated by it.

Bear in mind a few realities....there's no heat, A/C, radio, or top (makes a GT3 Cup car seem plush, lol) and it's only moderately safer than a motorcycle.

If you go into the experience with open eyes, you can have a blast with these cars. I would look closely at Vintage--if not ordering new, then looking at the private resale market.

I have some video footage of my Spyder....I'll see if I can pull something together to post.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Ben B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never owned one, but spent 2-3 years lusting after & researching them. If I had one, I'd want it as close to authentic as possible, and the TR & Beck replicas have a very similar chassis. The Vintage is "modernized" and probably a much better performer. But me.. I'd have skinny replica tires & it would be sliding all over anyway!
The specialized parts for these replicas are truly amazing! You can build a verrry convincing replica if you really want!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Rhino
Racer

Originally Posted by Rico
I had a vintage 550A spyder. I sold it reluctantly last march because of a new baby.

It was the best sportscar I have every owned. Performance wise it had a 2109cc with
150hp and the car weighed 1350 dry. 0-60 it was faster than my 996.
Also it attracted so much attention on the road, people always were fascinated by it.

Before I purchased it I did much research on vintage, beck and TR.
For me the Vintage Spyder was superior in quality and build.
The only drawback was that it took Vintage 1 1/2 years to complete it.

The funds I received from the sale of my Spyder are going towards a
904 replica soon.

Wow! 1.5 years to buil! I did not consider that. Thanks for all of the info and referral to Vintage.
thanks
Rhino
Old 02-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Rhino
Racer

Originally Posted by Sean
I have a Vintage very similar to Rico's description. I bought mine privately about two years ago when it had 968 miles on the odo. Mine has the big engine...PO says it dynoed at 152 to the rear wheels. PO had an additional oil cooler installed at no small expense that doubled oil capacity....it's a great driver.

It is a very unique car. As Rico says, it's a fantastic sports car. The power/weight ratio is enviable. It's raw, LOUD, and fast. It's also the greatest head turner you will ever drive. Seriously! People are fascinated by it.

Bear in mind a few realities....there's no heat, A/C, radio, or top (makes a GT3 Cup car seem plush, lol) and it's only moderately safer than a motorcycle.

If you go into the experience with open eyes, you can have a blast with these cars. I would look closely at Vintage--if not ordering new, then looking at the private resale market.

I have some video footage of my Spyder....I'll see if I can pull something together to post.

Thanks for the input. No heat or A?C will be fine as I live in California. As for no topy, that I did not consider but hey, how drives these cars in rain any ways.

I would love to see your video of your car if you get a chance. Do yo uknow of any sites to check on purchasing a used one besides ebay?

thanks
Rhino
Old 02-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

you could probably get a custom made top with zip up side windows made... anyways, if you get caught by rain, put the right foot down, the rain will pass right over the car ;-)
Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Sean
Drifting

Yeah, I met someone once who had a custom top made for her Vintage. A Vanderbilt professor, she used the car as a daily driver! Now that's hard core.

Check out spyderclub.com...and spyderowners.com. Sometimes cars come up for sale on those sites, plus there's a lot of useful info.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Sean
Drifting

Here are a couple of photos of my Vintage, taken today.

I've kept it exactly as when I received it. There are a few minor things I might change (original wheels, maybe a Nurmburgring badge, etc.). I've thought of going to a Sebring windshield, but the Speedster windshield is more practical for driving (and a few original 550 Spyders were equipped with the Speedster windshield). Basically I like this car the way it is...and there are others to modify anyway.

I usually wear a Davida helmet when driving the car...that's it in the passenger seat.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:28 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Sean, that is really nice!!.. Now it’s stupid question time... In the States what does something like that cost... ‘Cause a few years ago I looked at the "APL 356 Speedster Replica", here in France. At the time the prices were more or less, €25,000 w/ VW 1.8 (Mexican Beetle engine import)... In the end I went to Germany and purchased the 911/964 shown below for €24,000... Sure I’ve spent a hunk of "bucks" to restore but I ended up with something more then a replica, but I sure would'nt mind one like yours...

What happened to the days of: Fiberfab Sand Dune Buggies for $700...

BTW..... Your 550 Spyder is FANTASTIC!!!!! Would you sell it for one Cannondale road bike and $500.....(hope you say "yes")

Thanks for some super,"turn-on" photographs,
Marc...

PS... Let's see the engine bay, keep those pics coming... Please...
Old 02-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

all you'd need is some snaps and zip up side windows.... Be even easier if you had a full width rollbar
Old 02-08-2006, 08:58 AM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a "1957" beck speedster. Porsche drive train from a 1966 912. all the original badging makes it difficult to tell the difference. My friend has a 1957 speedster non-replica and at a recent wash and shine concourse the modertely informed observers were not sure which one was original and which one was replica. Obviously they must not have touched the cars as one is fiberglass. Quite frankly I would rather have the replica if you plan to drive it any. A speedster in the condition of my replica would be 125k and mine cost all in 25k. It is much more reliable than an original as well not to mention the 12v electrical system. Hershey Swap meet this year has 356 as the showcase model. I bet you will see a few replicas there. my opinion is the 550 spyder is so rare that a replica seems more unacceptable. Its like having a replica 917 or a replica ferrari enzo.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Sean
Drifting

Marc, I will post some more photos this week. Glad you liked 'em! With regard to cost, check out vintagespyders.com. I think they start at $25k but that doesn't include the engine.

JWalton, to me you stated the appeal of a 550 Spyder replica...the originals are so rare and expensive, even the owners never drive them. They are museum/car show exhibits only (yeah, yeah, and maybe they get driven once a year at Monterey). Even Porsche uses Spyder replicas for its TV commercials. So if you want a driveable Spyder, this is literally your only option, whereas there are many 356 options.

But the bottom line is that if you enjoy it, then it is "acceptable" to me. It's all about having fun.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:29 AM
Rhino
Racer

Sean that is a beautiful car! Thanks for the inspiration. What is it like to drive?
Rhino
Old 02-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Sean
Drifting

Rhino, a few comments about the driving experience. Sorry for the delay.

First, getting into the car requires a little thought. I’ve found it’s best to step into the car, standing upright, and then you lower your butt into the seat.

When you turn the ignition key, the engine barks to life. This is a really LOUD car. No sound deadening material, and the exhaust is raucous. The rumble will shake your garage, in a good way.

The shifter features very short throws--it’s pretty much a short shifter.

When you get on the gas, it runs through 1st and 2nd gears quickly. The meat of the powerband is in 3rd and 4th gears at about 3500 RPM. At these RPMs, the engine thumps and screams like a banshee--it’s tough to carry on a conversation with your passenger! It will make you smile every single time.

The car is fast. I’ve never really clocked it, but it can run away from most modern cars. You really feel the benefit of the light weight.

I take it through corners at a pretty good clip, but am always mindful of safety considerations. Although I have a roll bar, I rarely use it. But you wouldn’t want to get reckless with this car. Fatter tires would probably enhance grip. It will spin the wheels in 2nd gear.

The Spyder is a raw, totally involving sports car. There are no distractions in the driving experience (no radio, nav, A/C, or heat…heck, there’s no cigarette lighter.). When the engine is thumping away behind you, and the wind is whistling past your ears…it feels good to be alive.

Here's a video featuring my Spyder in several scenes (kind of a big download...20MB WMV file). At some point I will put together a short video about the car. It would be a fun project.

WALKABOUT CLUB - SPYDER FOOTAGE

Last edited by Sean; 02-22-2006 at 02:57 AM.

Quick Reply: If you were to buy a replica, from which company?