Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were to buy a replica, from which company?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Rhino
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Sean]Rhino, a few comments about the driving experience. Sorry for the delay.

thank you for the driving experience and the video. Your car looks great and fun to drive!

Rhino
Old 02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Superluminal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean's done such a good job of describing what these cars are like that I'll keep it short and sweet, with plenty of pics.

I've got a Beck Spyder that I bought back in 2004 with about 700 miles on it. It's got a 1915cc engine making about 130 HP/130ft-lb. I'm in the process of adding more authentic bits and pieces to it to make it more "original." That is tons of fun Next up are some "wide five" wheels, and oil cooler grill, and maybe a plexi screen...

Again, the Beck/Vintage is a Ford/Chevy type of argument. I went with a Beck mostly because it was the right price and condition to meet my needs.

Here are a few pics for comparison with the Vintage:

New switchgear in the interior (crappy phone pic):

Who says these aren't all-weather cars?

Doing this at a gas station to check the oil guarantees you won't get out of there for at least twenty minutes with all the questions you'll be asked...

Huge-assed pic of the engine:

And my favorite pic I've taken:

Old 02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of comments. First, I thought one of the 550 builders was the Beck builder for a while and then they reached and agreement to do it separately or the same but for different markets.

Second, if you decide to go the Speedster route, though you seem only focused on the 550, I've noticed that some of the kits have the sides of the dash top end before the door opening - like a good 2 inches or so. Obviously the real cars have the dash go the whole way. I've never understood why they do it this way. It seems so easy just to finish the vinyl/leather all the way.

Third, the 550 kit is a fantastic car and I'd love to have one some day. The Speedster kits are also fantastic car that would be fun to have. BUT, yes, there is a but here, the kits are not Porsches. And, no matter how much authentic Porsche trim someone puts on them, they are not Porsches. Now, I'm not saying this to put my nose down on them. They are great cars, and 50 years later, they are not all that different. But, there is a certain velvety smoothness together with feeling of the entire car being built out of a solid block of metal that completely pervades an entire real 356 that just simply is not matched by the kits - and I've driven PLENTY. So, if you truly want the experience of the car that created the legend that we know of as Porsche, then get a real coupe (and then make sure it is set up Porsche right, where anything short of correct Porsche parts and the expected excellence is not Porsche right). Again, and Again, I'm not trying to dis the kits. They are great great great. I'm just saying if you want to experience the true 356 mystique, get a 356. If you want a great sports car that is great looking that you can park at the market, and is a great price, by all means, get a kit.

Quick Reply: If you were to buy a replica, from which company?