What a boring forum!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Past tense, dude...

I stupidly sold my restored Ghia at a "great" loss (just thinking about it makes me want to slap myself) + the 911 SC to buy the boxster... Dumb move.. Then I sold the boxster to get a 993 (better move). Then I sold the 356 C to get the mini cooper.. (dumb again, though I love both cars and needed a commuter). Then I sold the 993 to pay my house off (partially dumb).. then I decided I was an idiot, had to stop selling cars I liked, and I bought the green A... The mini will still be FS soon to pay for the 911T's repair bills ;-)
Old 02-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

PS: RE the ghia... I love them too, but it's mostly looks... After you own a 356, driving the Ghia is VERY dissapointing and downright dangerous ;-) But who am I kidding, I'd buy another ghia in a heartbeat too ;-)
Old 02-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Harry:
I certainly must agree with your statement that a well set up vintage P car will put more smiles per mile on your face than later model cars. I still maintain that the essence of Porsche is the 356 Speedster, and I still regret selling mine. One big grin all day long in town, in the country, up the mountains and along a windy coastal road in Monterey County to Big Sur. The biggest disappointment of all was the day I got into a new 996 C4 on a track and came away wondering what happened to make that car so blah. Maybe someday I'll get a Speedster back and enjoy that feeling again.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks all for responding.....
I was begining to think all the 356ers (you too Harry) had gone off somewhere else. Like JoAnne said earlier, we preach about Rennlist to Registry members and they look at us like we are nuts. Well, we are but that's beside the point!
They just don't want to deal with anything outside of "356Talk". I don't get it.
I love 356Talk, but it's a PIA getting 80 Emails a day.
Thanks to Steve J. for archiving it.
By far, the 356 Forum is the friendliest place on Rennlist. 356 owners have no reason not to be friendly!

Cheers everyone!

Robert
Old 02-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Stratocat
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chime in here. I had made my 356 a daily driver last summer after owning it the last 13 years. Thing is it was the wettest fall winter in years. I hated getting it wet. That and I have the Bursch exhaust with no heat exchangers. I was coming out to work one morning in some sloppy slushy snow and got slimed on the windshield by a semi which instantly froze. I had to pull over and scrape it of for fear of running off the road. That was the last straw. So she is back under the 930 in the garage snug as a bug.

I will get to meet some of you folks at the shindig in Boerne in April. My wife is down there for business that week and my son and I are going to come down to watch my Nephew run in the Texas Relays on that Saturday. Sad thing is he is 6 feet tall and doesn't fit in either back seet anymore so we'll be there Porscheless. I am looking forward to see that many 356's at one time.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Whoa boy..... we're on a roll now!!!!!

Here are a few more 356 shots......

This is our garage now.... Max and Helga are alone.

This was Max, Helga and Sascha the 993 cab in Dec 2004

This was Hans the 993 C2S, Helga and Franz the Cayenne S in the Fall of 2003

This was in 2002 Helga and Ferdi (the Boxster) had to share the garage with a friends Beck 550 Replicar when an unexpected Thunderstorm poped up.

Now it's YOUR TURN to post more pics and 356 stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoAnne

PS: Greg: you sound a lot like us. You have a revolving garage door too!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Well stated Robert. ive been here, just busy scrounging up cash for the motor, and searching for new heads, and a good set of split shaft solexes/manafolds/air cleaners.. (and i just found out about my year end bonus at work.. 10% of salary from last year!!! this will help greatly!)

aside from that, i have also been busy with the 912 registry. I am the midwest regional coordinator now, and have been planing and working on events, getting a mailing list going etc. (basically im starting the region, and organizing everything by myself). we have our first winter social on march 12, we have a big event comming in june to celebrate the 40th anniv of the 912, i hope on having an even in july in michigan, hopefully we can get skirmants and his crew to join the madness.

right now we have 34 members on the midwest mailing list. soon we are getting a master list of everyone in our region from the registry (somthing ive been trying to get for a year). needless to say i have had my hands full.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:24 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

mid ohio vintage races..

Old 02-23-2005, 10:16 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mid Ohio is one of my favorite tracks. We had so much fun when we were there. I remember we flew into Cleveland and drove down to the Holiday Inn in Mansfield where I'd booked the team for the week. It was so bloody hot at the track for almost that entire week that we were miserable in our Firesuits. Drivers were passing out. BUT we won the race and that's all that mattered......

Speaking of 912's, Mr. Mid west 912 coordinator, you should recognize some of the folks in this pic.....

And since this is the 356 Forum, taken at the ECH in Williamsburg....

J
Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Mid Ohio is a great track, lots of fun, lots of open space to walk around, and camp BUT youre right, during the summer it is down right nasty! the heat, and the humidity will wipe you out in no time. It seems that after every tie i go out there my arms, legs, neck and face will be as red as a lobster, causing me to be in pain for a good week or 2. (i dont tan, i fry!). but the vintage races are a blast. this year they are the same week as Hershey, so i dont know if ill be able to make it or not (talk about bad planning - porsche is featured at the vintage races this year DOH!)

ah yes, the Lone Star crowd! Jerry looks crazy with that **** eatin grin (super nice guy!). and i recognize troy berths car (i think its his blue coupe), and i recognize the green one.. and Mories bahama yellow behind the guy standing next to you and robert, but i cant make out any of the other faces..

Id like to talk to morrie about having a co group gtg in southern missouri in october (the ozarks sound tempting).. but thats a bit a ways and im too busy with our local events and i have to get my motor rebuilt before i can take on any more stuff.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joanne & Robert,
I'm glad you can get out and drive. The weather still stinks here and more snow is on the way. Are you headed to the '05 ECH?

Here is a shot from Bruce Baker's 356 Picnic in 2004

Beauty reflected in beauty

Both girls waiting, waiting, and waiting for spring

Drive your Porsche day 2004

Old 02-24-2005, 06:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Just passing by and will add a "word". I LOVE 356's! Ooohed and awed over my uncle's coupe when I was a kid; almost bought a '61 cab when I was 16 (had the cash but was worried about repairs and insurance). Someday I gotta have one!
Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 PM
kpr
Intermediate

no kidding - there is nothing like throwing a 356 around a steep corner. I keep pushing and it still won'g give. It's pretty scary and exhilarating to toss one around a steep turn in second only to push out having to shift into 3rd. The best thing is to be able to redline it in 1st and 2nd and not break the speed limit! I really enjoyed the article in this months Panorama. It was a reprint of an old 70s article about a guy buying a 911L and learning to keep it over 4000 rpm.

BTW - here is Greg's black C after a I bought it and did a bare metal respray in the original slate grey color and a before picture as well - this is one of the reasons he is kicking himself, although his "new" a is a pocket rocket with the 912 big bore - smooth revving and quick as a scalded cat (no offense to animal lovers)
Attached Images   

Last edited by kpr; 02-24-2005 at 12:17 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 02-24-2005, 12:22 PM
kpr
Intermediate

ps - that was the first and last time the car looked that clean - I entered it as a "driver" show car at the Winter Park Auto Show last year - was not judged, did not win anything, but generated more smiles than any other 356 there. Note the body colored powder coated wheels - Greg hates them - but it was a lot cheaper than re-chroming.
Attached Images   

Last edited by kpr; 02-24-2005 at 12:24 PM. Reason: more pictures
Old 02-24-2005, 12:56 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

kpr,
Nice pics. Can't tell for sure what the interior color is....Red, Brown, Oxblood?

Keep em' coming!

R

Quick Reply: What a boring forum!!!!