996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any posers leave the spoiler up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:35 PM
care4era
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any posers leave the spoiler up?

I was at a poser cafe earlier and there was a C4S parked and he left the rear spolier up by hitting the rocker switch. Bit sad for me. Any other saddos here ?
Old 08-13-2006, 04:00 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

How's that a poser?
Old 08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
care4era
Racer

Because automatically it comes down after you have been flooring it. Therfore you need to make a concious poser effort to press the rocker switch located near the fuse box to make it stand nice and errect whilst parked. like this

http://intorg.netfirms.com/cars/94ca...aDrQuarter.jpg
Old 08-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

There are times when it looks cool to have the spoiler up. There are times when it IS cool to leave the spoiler up, such as after a run at the track to help cool the engine down. I don't think leaving it up makes me or anyone else that does it a "poser".
Old 08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If that is posing, then what would you call someone who drives a Porsche with a TIP yet stil claim they drive a sport car?
Old 08-13-2006, 04:47 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
such as after a run at the track to help cool the engine down. I don't think leaving it up makes me or anyone else that does it a "poser".
Or if you are just driving you're car hard. After you drive it "hard", it is suggested that, before you turn off the engine, you let it idle for 5 minutes or so AND put the spoiler up OR open the hood of the engine.

First off, if you own a C4S 911, and you like the wing up, just for asthetics, thats fine by me, but he was probable runnin' thru gears hard, OR was hittin' over a hundy for a lengthy time, and when he got to the coffee shop, he was airin' it out. Either way, he's still cool in MY book!!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:49 PM
s14roller
Racer

Last time I checked, posing was trying to be something you're not. The only thing that comes even close to what you're trying to reference might just the term "ricer"...but even that I don't see how it applys to someone who has a factory wing up.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:54 PM
viramont99
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My feelings exaclty s14
Old 08-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

HEEEEE stop ragging at tip's!!!! The new 997 turbo tip is faster than the stick version.....and they kind of drive "tip" in F1....no clutch!! Do you think I am happy that I have a tip???? NO I AM NOT ....but had to compromise because of my wife!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Actually Nicolaas...the 997 TT is NOT faster in the tip version, it has a faster 0-60 time because they spool up the turbos with the brakes on from a stand still....like drag racers...probably not good on the transmission to do for everyday driving and once it gets going the manual is faster. Now the PDK transmission that is coming will be faster than a manual....
Old 08-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

can someone say a-hole here?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:25 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by care4era
Because automatically it comes down after you have been flooring it. Therfore you need to make a concious poser effort to press the rocker switch located near the fuse box to make it stand nice and errect whilst parked.
Incorrect. When running track events, I manually deploy my spoiler before starting my run and it stays up until I shut down and restart or manually lower it with the switch. Even accelerating out of lower speed corners it stays deployed (I can see it in my rearview mirror). If I don't do this, it is constantly going up and down throughout the session. At the end of the session I lower it back down. This is actually better for the motor and airflow for the engine on the track.

Turbos have the spoiler switch in the dash. This is an easy upgrade for non-turbos simply requiring a factory switch and some wiring. I have mine on the dash for easier access with driving gloves on at the track.

Nicolaasdb,

Newport is partially correct. The 997 tip is faster to 60 and 100 (per Porsche) from a dead stop over the manual. From a dead stop to over 100, the manual will win. The tip gets it advantage off the line is due to a combination of power braking and gearing. It is not faster under any other situation. From even a 5 mph start, the manual will easily have the advantage. This difference is amplified on a road course where the manual easily outruns its automatic bretheren (per Porsche on the Nurburgring).
Old 08-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I think I have read the test about the new PDK transmission ( I guess) anyway mine doesn't have to be that fast...just loud and maybe next time I will keep my spoiler up to be a complete POSEUR!!! ( giving poser a French twist to make it a more annoying word!)

Come one if you are poser in a Porsche what the hell are you in a Yellow Lambo or a red Ferrari???
Porsches are the most understated sportscars around...okay besides the Honda Prelude look-a-like Maserati...
Old 08-14-2006, 01:05 AM
LeMarquis
User

I don't get why people are so concerned with what other people do... Seems like there are more important things to worry about. I hate people who think I bought a Porsche to pick up chicks or want to look cool. I could care less if people see me or not. If anything I like driving with as few people on the roads as possible.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:07 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I gotta admit that I know what the original poster is talking about, although I am not sure poser is the word I would use.

A few weeks ago the wife and I pulled up to a valet at the Club House in South Coast. There was another black cab there (looked just like mine with chrome wheels and all) and the guy had the tail up. Cruising around the mall or in from the freeway I just thought it looked a little weird. I started making fun when the valet came up, saying, "Should I raise my tail as well?" Anyway, I kinda felt like a jerk cuz the owner was standing right there on his cell phone. Total "guido" as the wife put it.

For me, unless you are cleaning under there or are actually trying to cool off the motor, the tail should stay down.

Quick Reply: Any posers leave the spoiler up?