Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you that have Black.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default For those of you that have Black.........

For those of you that have a black 997 and have had it for some time do you still love the color or would you pick a different color if you could do it again.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a black boxter S, which gets traded in against my Arctic 997 on Saturday. Despite what people say about balck, I didn't find it too hard to maintain it looking good and I think my boxter still looks fantastic when clean. I think black is always great on a P-car, especially a 997. I tend to fluctuate between black and silver with my cars, both are classic P colors,
Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Black is a lot of work and that can get frustrating sometimes, but it looks so damn nice when it clean and shined that nothing beats it. No regrets here.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

Lots of work, but worth it. Spectacular when clean.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:11 PM
infestation
Instructor

I like the color but my next 911 (probably a cab for my soon to be wife) will be cobalt blue.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Last Porsche was black. Current Porsche is black. Next one will be black, too.
It's a color that never looks "dated."
Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would concur with others. I have a black '00 C2 and just placed an order for a 997s GT Silver. I love black and don't think there is any color that looks better on a Porsche. But it does take a lot of work. It wasn't a daily driver for me, but the new car will likely be more of one so I opted to go with Silver.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Porky
Instructor

Depending on where you live, black can be a lot of work. I loved my black 996 but got sick of cleaning it BUT, I still ended up buying a black 997. Next car is going to be Atlas Grey, it looks great with a sand beige interior- looks kind of boring with black interiors IMO.

I had artic silver and loved it but when I see it now, it doesn't thrill me. If I had the guts I might even order a SIGNAL YELLOW car one day, would have to get a bit fatter and loose more hair first I think : )
Old 02-09-2006, 06:44 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

As noted, it shows everything, but when it's clean it is just unbeatable IMHO. OTOH, if mine were a daily driver, I would've opted for another color.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:52 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a black daily driver, and all the above comments are correct - more work to maintain, but at least it forces you to keep your car clean
Old 02-10-2006, 02:15 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another thing about black is that it shows orange peel in the paint more readily than any other color. When I first took delivery of my black Boxster that was the thing that bothered me the most – the orange peel. It bothered me so much that I decided to sand it completely off the car with 2000 grit sandpaper and power polish the gloss back to the paint. The result was a smooth as glass appearance that turned heads whenever I drove it. This pic was taken after the two weeks it took me to color-sand the entire car.

And I never drove it if it had the slightest amount of visible dirt. I was too embarrassed to do so (sick, huh?). And so I became quite the obsessive compulsive type and was in effect a slave to the car, as my wife put it. The slightest drops of splashed up water from driving over a small puddle will show on the side panels of a black car. My car had to look perfect whenever I took it out. And boy was it ever an unending job to keep it looking that way. My Seal Grey is such a joy to keep looking perfect all the time. I am so glad I changed my order after having had black (again) as my first color choice.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2006, 02:23 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

ocben, you're a dumbass. You know what i mean.
anyways, what is orange peel, exactly?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
And I never drove it if it had the slightest amount of visible dirt. I was too embarrassed to do so (sick, huh?). And so I became quite the obsessive compulsive type and was in effect a slave to the car, as my wife put it. The slightest drops of splashed up water from driving over a small puddle will show on the side panels of a black car. My car had to look perfect whenever I took it out. And boy was it ever an unending job to keep it looking that way. My Seal Grey is such a joy to keep looking perfect all the time. I am so glad I changed my order after having had black (again) as my first color choice.
You sound like me! I was as **** as hell when I had the SC430! It never went out in snow, hardly seen rain. Constant detailing!

I DID have a black car prior and yep, it's a PITA to keep clean and spider-web free as every little thing show up. Always used MF towels and QD products to keep clean.

My current order is a black C2S, as Porsche black has to be the best looking black! I hope this one does not have orange peel or I'll be sanding away as OCBen! I use these ultra-fine papers from Micro-Mesh that go up to 12K grit!

Just enjoy the color and try to keep it clean!

Deanski
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by icon
i think black makes every car look a little bit better. it can hide little things in a design that you dont like. plus it sets off the other materials of the car.
at dealers my eyes are always drawn toward the black cars.
and like others have mentioned you dont get tired of looking at the color.
Very true. And I think that the 997 Turbo will look best in black because of the ability of black to hide "little things in a design that you don't like" (i.e. ugly features).

And, HEY, don't be putting words into my mouth that I didn't say!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Deanski
I use these ultra-fine papers from Micro-Mesh that go up to 12K grit!
Have you tried Meguiar's Uni-Grit paper? Very expensive but best in controlled uniformity of grit particles.

Quick Reply: For those of you that have Black.........