Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can dealer find out that it has been flashed DME even if you flash it back to stock?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
CarAholic-- Get a tune! As I've said previously, I was very surprised to see the difference the tune made. You will be pleasantly surprised. Money well spent.
What tune are you running? Just standard stage 2 Cobb or something more specific? Was going from race headers no tune to with tune a bigger difference in feel from going to stock manifolds to race headers?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Dealer can see if the DME has been overwritten with the current COBB software for the GT4, but for other models can't.
They allude to big things happening for the GT4 in 2017, so I hope that is on their list to change.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

CarAholic-- Get a tune! As I've said previously, I was very surprised to see the difference the tune made. You will be pleasantly surprised. Money well spent.

+1 on this...I also hold out a long time with headers and exhaust only before doing the Tune. It did make a big difference, very happy with it. Mine was a custom map using a local COBB ProTuner.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Alex@PE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Well I installed my headers that came in today. First off I hate that Porsche didn't put studs in the block as I was nervous the whole time of cross threading the block. Install was really simple though one bolt wouldn't go in for the life of me. Going to go to a friends shop and put her on a lift for better access.

Installation = simple anyone with relative background in working on cars can complete this. Easiest header installation I have done other then civics.

Power:
I cant tell a huge bump in power, not like a strapped a turbo to this thing at all. It did however smooth out the power band. There is no longer that giant kick in the *** at 5k instead it's just a constant pull to red line. I haven't had a whole lot of time to really drive her but so far I am very happy. CEL light kicked on after 20 miles, not sure if the ecu adapts timing for this but so far haven't felt a drop in power.

Quality:
Very nice craftsmanship with high quality materials. Absolutely no complaints here. Every bolt logged directly up and no modifications were necessary.

Sound:
Now others have commented on this but I will give my description of it. It is absolutely stock sound levels from 3.5k and under, zero drone. Even cold start is barely any louder then factory. However once you put the pedal to the floor it sounds like space time is being chainsawed wide open. It's a very porsche race car high pitch sound, almost Ferrari ish. The videos online do not do it justice. I truthfully can't tell the difference between exhaust flaps open or closed, she may be a hair louder under light throttle application with it on. Very pleased with the sound. For reference I had a straight pipe exhaust from the headers back prior to this.

Price:
I think the price is fair especially during the group buy. I however feel that for this expense gaskets and hardware should be included.

Conclusion
Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and look forward to seeing if there are any adaptations that will take place over the next 100 miles to increase performance even more. Now I am really wanting to get a tune to see how big of a difference the combination makes.

I will break down my plus and minus for each set up below.

Stock Headers w/ Straight Pipes
Pros
1. Large increase in overrun
2. Nice and deep bassy exhaust note (V8ish)
3. Cheap
4. No CEL

Cons
1. Non Adjustable Sound levels
2. Power decrease (torque) very slight but noticeable
3. Had some annoying drone, not horrible but it was there
4. Impossible to leave the house without waking the neighbors

Caragraphics race headers w/ stock PSE
Pros
1. Flattening of power curve
2. Slight bump in overall power
3. Easy install
4. Very slight increase in daily driver and cold start sound levels
5. No drone
6. High pitch race car tone
7. Still have sound adjustability

Cons:
1. Price (relative to comparison)
2. Small increase in overrun
3. CEL
Great review and glad the headers went to a good home!
We really enjoy reading realistic and candid reviews like this.

A proper tune will definitely help smoothen the power band even further and open the top end more as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alex@PE
Great review and glad the headers went to a good home!
We really enjoy reading realistic and candid reviews like this.

A proper tune will definitely help smoothen the power band even further and open the top end more as well.
Thanks again Alex for the quick shipping and great customer service. Headers were packaged so well I thought I had an entire engine block delivered.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What tune are you running? Just standard stage 2 Cobb or something more specific? Was going from race headers no tune to with tune a bigger difference in feel from going to stock manifolds to race headers?
I am using a Cobb pro tune. I installed CG sport headers, TB and plenum all at once. I drove the car for a while and then got the tune. The nice thing about Cobb is they provide a device with which you can flash the ECU back to stock, or flash it with a different tune (i.e., for different octane fuels). One day a couple of months ago I decided to flash the car back to stock just to see how much of a difference it makes. I was shocked at how anemic the car felt without the tune. The tuner, who has tuned several GT4's, told me the original tune on the ECU is very sensitive and will pull timing back at the slightest hint of detonation. The custom tune is a lot more aggressive and you can really tell the difference.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM
belfo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using a Cobb pro tune. I installed CG sport headers, TB and plenum all at once. I drove the car for a while and then got the tune. The nice thing about Cobb is they provide a device with which you can flash the ECU back to stock, or flash it with a different tune (i.e., for different octane fuels). One day a couple of months ago I decided to flash the car back to stock just to see how much of a difference it makes. I was shocked at how anemic the car felt without the tune. The tuner, who has tuned several GT4's, told me the original tune on the ECU is very sensitive and will pull timing back at the slightest hint of detonation. The custom tune is a lot more aggressive and you can really tell the difference.
That red part above is probably not a great sales pitch for a tune for me... and probably even more concerning for those with California gasoline.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by belfo
That red part above is probably not a great sales pitch for a tune for me... and probably even more concerning for those with California gasoline.
With all due respect, I think it's a matter of perspective. The stock tune on the car is very conservative. And COBB provides tunes for different octanes.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:44 AM
belfo
Intermediate

With all due respect, I think it's a matter of perspective. The stock tune on the car is very conservative. And COBB provides tunes for different octanes.
I clearly can't quantify how conservative the OEM tune is, but I'd be really curious (no sarcasm) to hear an explanation of why a revised knock sensor calibration or algorithm would be "safe enough" while Porsche feels otherwise. It makes sense to me that eliminating smog concerns as a programming constraint could net useful power if you don't care about emissions. Reliability vs. power is a different trade-off, however. Maybe I need to talk to Cobb.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:51 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Like Beantown Kman notes, Porsche's tune has to be able to run safely with any octane, COBB has an individual tune for each octane so COBB can optimize for each.
Just make sure you stick with the octane that you programmed for and you'll be fine, or use the 91 octane tune if you use 93 to be extra safe.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:36 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Afternoon Rennlisters. Just wanted to update the thread with the status of the group buy. Huge thanks to everyone who took advantage of the opportunity! Cargraphic is estimating that the first batch of manifolds is due to ship in around 2-3 weeks time, with the remainder shipped within 4-5. Keep in mind guys, this was a much larger than normal order, so it does take some time to run these through production. I will check back and update everyone with their placement on the priority list from Cargraphic, as far as when manifolds will ship.

As of the beginning of the year, Cargraphic did have a slight increase on pricing for both race and street manifolds as follows;

987.2 Race - MSRP $2414.50 (plus shipping)
987.2 Sport - MSRP $3294.50 (plus shipping)

981 Race - MSRP $2524.50 (plus shipping)
981 Sport - MSRP $3294.50 (plus shipping)

Luckily we were able to get the group buy pricing secured before the price increase! As always, we do what we can to help out our Rennlist customers, so please email or PM us for pricing.

Wray
Old 01-24-2017, 11:15 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

If anyone missed out on the group buy and would like to get a pair asap, pm me I have on available.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Yellowbyrd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for John or Wray at BGB: Do the "cat-delete pipes" have o2 sensor bungs?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:49 PM
flpnout
Intermediate

If anyone missed out on the group buy and would like to get a pair asap, pm me I have on available.
Can you PM me. I can't seem to PM you.

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?