Notices

AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

In some cars the CAN+ and CAN- are exposed in the OBD connector. Not sure on that year though.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,849 Likes on 1,676 Posts

There is for the EVO4 and the Solo DL, but not the dashes, yet.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-08-2015, 09:55 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump to this as the GT4 has the same issues. I dont want to do a CAN wire as Porsche is telling the Clubsport teams to leave the wiring alone due to voltage concerns in the GT4. Can someone point me to the harness that allows for getting the extra channels off the ECU?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I just began to look at the GT4 connection myself. Go to the aim-sportline link previously posted. Section 2.2 Connection through the Gateway connector.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by katmeho
Bump to this as the GT4 has the same issues. I dont want to do a CAN wire as Porsche is telling the Clubsport teams to leave the wiring alone due to voltage concerns in the GT4. Can someone point me to the harness that allows for getting the extra channels off the ECU?
I will be connecting MoTeC and AiM CAN connections for GT4 and GT4 CS cars to the twisted pair present in the main harness from the ECU to the dashboard. This harness is located vertically and parallel with the front edge of the door, just under the kick panel (fuse box extended) cover.

The CAN connection for any of these loggers does not send an acknowledgement or any other active signal or voltage to what it is connected to, so the concerns are not valid in my experience. In Conti, WC and other professional racing, these aftermarket loggers are required, so what I am suggesting (and the documentation AIM supplies) is already in use by the professional teams and shops that prepare and support them, FYI.

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I just began to look at the GT4 connection myself. Go to the aim-sportline link previously posted. Section 2.2 Connection through the Gateway connector.
Bill, I (and other AiM dealers) can supply a longer CAN and power lead that goes from the multi-pin (gateway) connector at the ECU behind the driver forward to the Solo DL, but I don't generally recommend that because all the same information is available further forward, closer to the dash.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:50 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I will be connecting MoTeC and AiM CAN connections for GT4 and GT4 CS cars to the twisted pair present in the main harness from the ECU to the dashboard. This harness is located vertically and parallel with the front edge of the door, just under the kick panel (fuse box extended) cover.
This sounds very promising. I wonder if you can share the "how to" when its done? Im new to this and would hate to mess anything up.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This sounds very promising. I wonder if you can share the "how to" when its done? Im new to this and would hate to mess anything up.
I'll add a more detailed guide when I take some pictures, but if you follow these color codes http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...11_104_eng.pdf and pay attention to the twisted pair that has the orange/red that terminates at the A20 connector at the Gateway shown, you can follow the vehicle harness down and away from the Gateway so it's not so crowded where you make the connection.

I just talked a Massachusetts shop through this successfully on the phone and we got everything we wanted!
Old 12-09-2015, 01:09 PM
katmeho
Pro

^Awesome, thanks. Ill try to do a trace and then wait for your documentation as a safeguard. Thanks
Old 12-09-2015, 01:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

^Awesome, thanks. Ill try to do a trace and then wait for your documentation as a safeguard. Thanks
The key is: a) identify the proper twisted pair and then b) come down and away from the connector to get room to connect.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:59 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One trick I found when working with these tightly twisted CAN lines is to insert a set of "expanding" snap ring pliers between the wires and use them to separate the wires. It is really hard to do with fingers. This picture is a 997.1 so don't use those colors. The newer cars seem to be twisted even tighter.
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

katmeho, In addition to the CAN connection you must get a 12 v connection. Easy to do by using an Add-A-Circuit in the fuse box.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:36 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bill is correct, In the 997.1 I found a switched power and added a piggback fuse, which can be seen in the photo above.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:26 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Is brake pedal position available? Similar enough of a signal to get the most of what you'd be looking for for track comparisons.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Is brake pedal position available? Similar enough of a signal to get the most of what you'd be looking for for track comparisons.
It does not seem to be. We really need a list of the PIDs that the Siemens ECU has. How can we get that from Porsche?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That will not happen easily.

Everyone I know (other than AiM) has used a sniffer and lots of work to code. You'll need one, for sure!

Quick Reply: AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981