Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Epic thread - nice
Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Tom, there is a centering tool for the tap such that you chuck the centering tool in a drill press and use it to center your tap. Put the soon to be nut in a vise, lower and engage the tool into the tap's chamfer and you end up with a very well centered hole with less effort. Obviously the drill doesn't get turned on.
Thanks, Alan. There probably was a centering tool sitting around but I didn't ransack through the machinist's tool box. It was more so that I got lazy which ironically required more effort doing it the old school mechanic way. And I used a thread cutter to cut fresh threads instead of a tap that has a pointy end which supposedly is more ideal for re-threading. I did fudged the first one up...
Old 06-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
There isn't much thread to grab so the thickness of the hat matters! Also I want to use the hat that puts the spring nearest to the original height AND mount the shock so that the travel(stroke) is not compromised.

The black hat is JRZ. The short gold hat is .2GT3. The tall one with the long skirt is .1GT3/Cup. I'm going with the one with the shallowest middle hole to get as more grip on the threaded shock stem.

I ended up shaving down the lower monoball bushing to get additional(sufficient) thread grip.
Tom,
Is the middle hole in the upper spring adapter (gold part) small enough to where it stops on the shoulder of the shock rod, or is it larger than this shoulder diameter and able to slide on the actual shock rod? Do you have an opinion on which is better? Does this piece necessarily have to be clamped by the upper nut?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

ok tom, you are not making ANY sense to me
at some point, the nor cal crew will have to fly you out to set up our cars ;-)
Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Where does one find the new damptronic controller/software
TPC Racing. Its called the DSC. Mr. Levitas started the development when the first PASM 997 came out back in 2005. The shocks themselves have huge range, they can be controlled like a fuel injector or electronic throttle body to produce the shape of the desired torque curve. The wiring is already in the cars, the data is already flowing in CAN, they only needed the controller with the capability. The different OEM PASM boxes work the same(full stiff or full soft), the only difference is the CAN ID for the different model cars/options. The software is not available to the public...yet. The current DSC maps are derived from 10 years of our pro racing data from Motec data acq. A lot of eastcoast track guys have been running it. Many 997TT's are running them to reduce push.

I don't have DSC for my car yet because the .1 cars are equipped with factory 2-axis accelerometer(yaw sensor). DSC needs 3-axis data to enable full function. Currently we are working to source an inexpensive 3-axis accelerometer. All .2 cars are factory equipped with 3-axis. Exception to .1 cars are Turbo and GT2, they have 3-axis. DSC is a 5-minute plug in job for cars with 3-axis.

At the moment I am making my PASM coilovers as good as they can work until adding DSC and 3-axis accelerometer.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-24-2022)
Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Protocav
Tom,
Is the middle hole in the upper spring adapter (gold part) small enough to where it stops on the shoulder of the shock rod, or is it larger than this shoulder diameter and able to slide on the actual shock rod? Do you have an opinion on which is better? Does this piece necessarily have to be clamped by the upper nut?
No, the gold color spring hat will slide through. The hole in the hat is 14mm. The threaded portion of the stem is 12mm. The polished portion of the stem is 14mm. My life would have been so much easier if someone made a thin spring hat that has a 12mm hole. I have searched high and low through vendors, on the internet and ebay with no luck. I needed a steel shouldered sleeve from a Cup/RSR to make this work. The factory street cars have a 12mm ID steel washer to "chock" the shock. Its probably better to have the steel shouldered sleeve to distribute the load to the aluminum hat better.
Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default The Shock Lineup

Protocav- the PASM rear shock must be threaded to or "clamped" by the upper monoball bushing(bushing nut) because the stem doesn't protrude above the monoball like other shocks. GT3/GT2/Cup use bushing nut on the front shocks.

I used the envelope's bottom edge to show where all three shocks in the photo mount to the bottom of the spring hat. From left: PASM, Cup, JRZ.

I guess not many people, if any at all, have gone through the trouble to install articulating solid upper rear mounts for PASM shocks. I definitely see the value in it, especially with DSC.
Attached Images   
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TPC Racing. Its called the DSC. Mr. Levitas started the development when the first PASM 997 came out back in 2005. The shocks themselves have huge range, they can be controlled like a fuel injector or electronic throttle body to produce the shape of the desired torque curve. The wiring is already in the cars, the data is already flowing in CAN, they only needed the controller with the capability. The different OEM PASM boxes work the same(full stiff or full soft), the only difference is the CAN ID for the different model cars/options. The software is not available to the public...yet. The current DSC maps are derived from 10 years of our pro racing data from Motec data acq. A lot of eastcoast track guys have been running it. Many 997TT's are running them to reduce push.

I don't have DSC for my car yet because the .1 cars are equipped with factory 2-axis accelerometer(yaw sensor). DSC needs 3-axis data to enable full function. Currently we are working to source an inexpensive 3-axis accelerometer. All .2 cars are factory equipped with 3-axis. Exception to .1 cars are Turbo and GT2, they have 3-axis. DSC is a 5-minute plug in job for cars with 3-axis.

At the moment I am making my PASM coilovers as good as they can work until adding DSC and 3-axis accelerometer.
Sweet, I still have my PASM original shocks and setting this up including advanced DSC for a more "motorsports" traction/stability control would be very nice. currently have JRZ pro RS dampers going on the car so very interested to see what you come up with. Could always unload them and go back to a modified stock setup... Sign me up for updates...
Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Protocav- the PASM rear shock must be threaded to or "clamped" by the upper monoball bushing(bushing nut) because the stem doesn't protrude above the monoball like other shocks. GT3/GT2/Cup use bushing nut on the front shocks.

I used the envelope's bottom edge to show where all three shocks in the photo mount to the bottom of the spring hat. From left: PASM, Cup, JRZ.

I guess not many people, if any at all, have gone through the trouble to install articulating solid upper rear mounts for PASM shocks. I definitely see the value in it, especially with DSC.
Hi Tom,
Great info here, thanks again. I have installed the rear upper monoball plates/bushings on my .2 and I had to find the right combination of spacers for the monoball which allowed the correct amount of thread protrusion to grab the nut. I definitely get you. I'm thinking about re-springing the car and I like the upper spring mount that you used. I'll have to piece something together like you did.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Would this electronic controller eliminate the need for a revalve on the PASM shocks? Could we run stiffer springs and then just dial up the damping electronically?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Hat trick
Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Had the same problem and came up with a similar solution of spacers and nuts on my KW's so I could run mono *****. It was an unexpected pain in the a**
Thanks for sharing the pics. On your rear shock, does the purple color conical shaped adaptor articulate independently from the monoball plate or is it seated flat on to the plate? I couldn't tell from the pics, its dark in that area.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Protocav
Would this electronic controller eliminate the need for a revalve on the PASM shocks? Could we run stiffer springs and then just dial up the damping electronically?
Yes and Yes. We have found 600/800 to work really good on stock .2 PASM shocks with DSC controller.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Sweet, I still have my PASM original shocks and setting this up including advanced DSC for a more "motorsports" traction/stability control would be very nice. currently have JRZ pro RS dampers going on the car so very interested to see what you come up with. Could always unload them and go back to a modified stock setup... Sign me up for updates...

Will do.

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3