Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer, since you are still under CPO, will likely use epoxy as the 'fix'. Some I understand are willing to split the costs if you decide to go another route. Report back with results.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
No, it was a 996 GT3. I was standing at the keyhole taking photos when grey GT3 hit the tire wall. It looked like the back started coming around to the right before he could transition into the keyhole. S
The car shot across the grass and rotated the right side into the tires. He scrubbed off a lot of speed in the gravel. The damage wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Correct, it was a blue 996 GT3 that lost a fitting Friday in Red run group. He packed the car up and sent it home but stuck around for his students throughout the weekend.

As I understand it (2nd hand account) the 3.8 RS was trying something different through there and just lost it. Shame 'cause the grey 3.8 cars were pretty quick and from what I saw well driven too. We all make mistakes though.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
The dealer, since you are still under CPO, will likely use epoxy as the 'fix'. Some I understand are willing to split the costs if you decide to go another route. Report back with results.
Power steering pump bracket on order. Should have car back in a day or two. Motor does not have to come out, so it's going to be Water Wetter for a while yet.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got an 07' GT3 with about 9k miles on it and I'm reluctant as hell to take it to the track again without adressing this coolant hose issue.

I'm willing to pony up the $$$ to have this remedied but who here on the east coast (I'm in Jersey) would be recommended to do the repair. I prefer (I think)the mechanical approach (pinning/threading) rather than the adhesive/ bonding system.
I talked to my dealer about it and they didn't even know the proplem exists.What a joke.

Your input is appreciated.
Tom B.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by tomburdge
I'm willing to pony up the $$$ to have this remedied but who here on the east coast (I'm in Jersey) would be recommended to do the repair.
link HTH
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
link HTH
That's a handy thread.

Is there any update on when Porsche "fixed" this in production?

I seem to recall someone at Porsche asserting that a new glue was introduced before the 4.0 RS, some time maybe in 2010 for the 3.8's?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's a handy thread.

Is there any update on when Porsche "fixed" this in production?

I seem to recall someone at Porsche asserting that a new glue was introduced before the 4.0 RS, some time maybe in 2010 for the 3.8's?
I'm still not convinced the updated design is really going to hold up any better. Longer fittings, more area of epoxy, but same design that is prone to failure over time and heat cycles.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 GT3 RS, Black w/Orange, 3000 miles. Spit out the the 90 degree fitting in the front housing closest to the driver.

We got away with one last weekend at Putnam. Driver behind was also in 2007 GT3 RS, Orange w/Black. Happened on front straight going into braking zone around 130+mph. Both cars way off track in excess of 100 on exit. We missed each other, the gravel trap, the hay bales, the fence and everything else down there. No damage to either car. Porsche says they have no idea of this issue. Dealer replaced the housing with identical part. My car is still under warranty so I'm not modifying the engine yet. The Tech did three sets of safety wires on each of the 5 hose fittings. At least if the epoxy fails again on any of the fittings it will smoke and smell and I won't pump out all my fluid onto my rear tires like a fire hose at 8000 rpm.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

What are we averaging here -- one a week?

Could have been two dead this time?

Porsche denies knowledge ...

Tick tick tick.

Originally Posted by jrok
2007 GT3 RS, Black w/Orange, 3000 miles. Spit out the the 90 degree fitting in the front housing closest to the driver.

We got away with one last weekend at Putnam. Driver behind was also in 2007 GT3 RS, Orange w/Black. Happened on front straight going into braking zone around 130+mph. Both cars way off track in excess of 100 on exit. We missed each other, the gravel trap, the hay bales, the fence and everything else down there. No damage to either car. Porsche says they have no idea of this issue. Dealer replaced the housing with identical part. My car is still under warranty so I'm not modifying the engine yet. The Tech did three sets of safety wires on each of the 5 hose fittings. At least if the epoxy fails again on any of the fittings it will smoke and smell and I won't pump out all my fluid onto my rear tires like a fire hose at 8000 rpm.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I agree. This Porsche denial approach is going to bite them sooner or later.

Surely their lawyers already know about this thread or if and when someone really gets hurt the other side will find it and use it in court..Could a couple of settlements really be cheaper than just fixing the cars?

Does the Coolant Hose Coupling Failure seem to happen more often to cars that came out of hybernation and get very hot in the summer months, or perhaps more often this time a year just due to temp and more cars tracking more often?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I agree. This Porsche denial approach is going to bite them sooner or later.

Surely their lawyers already know about this thread or if and when someone really gets hurt the other side will find it and use it in court..Could a couple of settlements really be cheaper than just fixing the cars?

Does the Coolant Hose Coupling Failure seem to happen more often to cars that came out of hybernation and get very hot in the summer months, or perhaps more often this time a year just due to temp and more cars tracking more often?
Here's hoping word spreads through the track event operators and car clubs so that folks are at least running Water Wetter.

I couldn't care less about the public liability budget line item in PCNA's business plan -- they've made their bed and decided it's cheaper to take the "flaming Ford fuel tank" approach and it will cost them less to kill a few people than repair a lot of coolant lines.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 416 Posts

As long as we're counting 2004 6GT3 with app 45,000 miles let go during the 2012 One Lap. The one of the fittings under the Alt let go and on further inspection the one on the right rear was coming loose. Orbit welded all the fittings and did some other while we are there things. Reassembled with Pencool 2000 and distiller water instead of Antifreeze.

Peter
Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it could have gone very, very badly. If it had happened at any of the other faster corners we would have been either in the woods or the wall. It just so happened that there was 100 yards of run-off into a grassy field. Just one turn earlier and we would have both been in the wall. As these cars age and more and more of them are relegated from garages to track duty the problem is only going to worsen. It seems inevitable that someone is going to pay a heavy price sooner or later. I just hate it that they are ignoring the issue.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What are we averaging here -- one a week?

Could have been two dead this time?

Porsche denies knowledge ...

Tick tick tick.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Anyone that knowingly doesn't get this fixed is 'ignoring the issue.'

And the CPO argument doesn’t hold any water IMO. You can scream ‘coolant fittings!’ Until you are blue in the face – your insurance company isn’t going to pursue PCNA, and the other guy’s insurance company won’t care either, and this is for an occurrence the street.

You wreck on the track and ball up your car, or worse, ball up someone else’s’ car, or put someone else in the hospital (or worse), you are up that creek without that paddle. PCNA won't help you.

You want that battle, to keep your CPO? Not me.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 PM
reddogmotorsport
7th Gear

Short spirited drive of only about 30-45mins during April of 2011 resulted in a slow coolant leak. I was able to refill the reservoir and drive the car to the dealer, who denied any knowledge of the problem. They said their repair was just a standard replacement; a 30hr job covered by warranty.

Year: 2007
Model: 997TT with GT2 front-end (ie. radiator routing)
Mileage: ~30k
Specific Coupling: coolant manifold
Repair Solution: replace hose, clamps, rings, etc.

A year later, after flogging the car on my street "rally" route for 2hrs today in 90-100 degree heat, the fix is holding for now. Of course, it's just a question of time.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry