Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ownership Responsibility – Fix Your Fittings!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ownership Responsibility – Fix Your Fittings!

My apologies if this comes off as preachy.

Do it for your own safety AND for the safety of others around you.

I suppose we take a risk every time we drive on a track (and street), but IMO we have a responsibility to minimize the risks that we have control over; safety and maintenance.

Moreover, after an accident, if it comes to light that this was a known issue, and it wasn’t fixed, could owners be considered negligent?

The other issue that I'm concerned about, is perhaps PCA or other bodies seeing this as a liability, and starting to check repaired fittings at tech inspections.

IDK - Maybe we can start a thread with locations that have done a repair so people know where to go?

CANADA
Link To Coolant Fitting Diagrams post; Thanks Serge!

Last edited by SH || NC; 06-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

1: Has there been anybody out there, where an official Porsche dealership has paid for the cost of the repair before a fitting got loose ? Either under or without warranty ?

2: Has there been anybody who got the full repair covered by an official Porsche dealership after fitting got loose ? Either under or without warranty ?

Old 11-10-2011, 03:22 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

My dealership has repaired blown fittings under CPO warranty, but did mention that all they can do is re-glue them per factory specs, but with a more resilient adhesive.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Someone mentioned that there is a shop in ATL that is familiar with this fix??

PJ Did you by chance have this done to the Blue Beast?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Gold Crest; where I had mine done. They are top shelf. (link) (link)
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

(What's CPO ?)

My car is still under factory warranty and i recently raised this issue at my local dealer.
They told me all cooling lines are excluded from warranty. I am now debating with them that they should do a thorough "precaution" check within the warranty and also should cover the direct and indirect cost if something would happen.

The fact you got it covered should be enough to get mine covered too i guess. Or not ?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:49 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Certified Pre-Owned (link)

I did not have mine covered under CPO warranty; I did the fix preemptively on my own.

Not sure I understand how your dealer can selectively choose to not cover the coolant fittings. I'd investigate calling Porsche directly.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

sorry but i thought you previously mentioned you DID got them repaired under the CPO ?
"My dealership has repaired blown fittings under CPO warranty"

(CPO = same as Porsche Approved Warranty for the EU)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I did not say the dealership repaired MY fittings under CPO warranty however. If you click on the link in my signature file, you'll see I had mine welded, not re-glued.

If your dealer is unwilling to even review the status of your fittings, I'd call Porsche directly.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

I see.

I am sure my dealership would be willing to inspect it precautionary but do i want to pay for that or not ?
So ............ It still would help to know who got it covered under warranty before and/or after a loose fitting.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I don't have the info; I'm simply relaying what my dealership told me. Before or after, it doesn't seem to matter to your dealership though, which is even more disconcerting.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone attempted to take apart and re-epoxy all of their fittings with the engine still in the car? Can you get to the majority of them without a ton of work?

Porsche's fix (though they still deny there's even a problem...referencing negligence) is to use a stronger epoxy.

While it's not as good as welding I know personally the one I clenaed up and fixed with a stronger epoxy is the least of my concerns these days. I'm actually concerned it'll be a real pain to try to get apart to properly weld when I get the fix done.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

I will still use water wetter once my fittings and all new hoses are taken care of. Waterwetter is great. One of my track buddies(rl member speedoflight with 997.1 gt3) ran thru my 1/2 mile strip and saw me parked at exit of t1 at th. He didn't know my coolant fitting let go or noticed ne fluids on the track. Mike
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SH || NC
My apologies if this comes off as preachy.

Do it for your own safety AND for the safety of others around you.

I suppose we take a risk every time we drive on a track (and street), but IMO we have a responsibility to minimize the risks that we have control over; safety and maintenance.

Moreover, after an accident, if it comes to light that this was a known issue, and it wasn’t fixed, could owners be considered negligent?

The other issue that I'm concerned about, is perhaps PCA or other bodies seeing this as a liability, and starting to check repaired fittings at tech inspections.

IDK - Maybe we can start a thread with locations that have done a repair so people know where to go?

Scott's right and you don't sound preachy. Porsche is not going to repair the fittings the way they should be. If you track the car you should get them fittings welded, at the very least have the fittings tapped per the sharkwerks solution. While your at it replace all the coolant hoses and the resevoir tank.

Do it for the safety of the guy behind you as well as yourself. Besides when you factor in the cost of a day at the track and amortize the expense of getting it done over the course of a season it's not that expensive. Plus you get some peace of mind.

Regarding location. In the Boston area Conway Autoworks will do this kind of fix.

Thanks for making a stand Scott.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Thoughts on Houston fixers?

-td

Quick Reply: Ownership Responsibility – Fix Your Fittings!