Sponsored by:

strange horn issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 PM
evhudsons
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange horn issue

I have searched multiple forums and the web so there is a lot of info out there about the problems with Porsche horns. My issue is a bit strange though as the horns will work, when they want to. They will work fine for a while, but then on any given day absolutely nada. I moved the horn around that you can reach without taking the bumper off and sprayed some electrical cleaner and then I would get a one beep horn then nothing. Then yesterday I was driving on the way to the autoparts store to buy some simple napa replacement horns, and my horn suddenly was working just dandy. A lady in a large van suddenly stopped in front of me and started to back up. I instinctively laid into the horn and luckily it worked and she stopped just inches of making a front end mess. I couldn't back up because there were people behind me. For the rest of the day and night I kept trying it, horn is fine. This morning, no horn. I pulled on all the fuses and turned the wheel all the way left and right, and tried the horn. It works. It seems that if it were just a contact it would be more intermittent in the time that it seems working. For instance I am assuming the remainder of the day it will be fine but not tomorrow morning.
I did do the reset all on the information lever to the left of the wheel. I'm wondering where to begin looking. I have read that it could be behind the steering wheel for the horn contacts, or by the horns, or the relay but I can't find any horn relay just the fuse panel fuses.

If I clean the wheel horn contacts do I have to remove the whole thing including the airbag, or is there a quick and easier access to clean?
Even with the horn working, it is not very loud or attention getting so I just ordered the hella supertones. I used youtube to play the sound and liked it much better than oem horns or the ferrari style air horns.

On a quick check, I went out to try the horn, not working. I steered the wheel left and right, got on beep, then nothing, then it started working fine. Argh.

Any advice or links would be very much appreciated!

thanks,
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Join the ranks of those that have replaced the horns.
They must have been ordered by Porsche from the lowest bidder.
IMHO, we should not have to pay for a part that lasts the lifetime on most Buicks, but fails regularly on a 911.
Porsche shamelessly takes our money.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
Join the ranks of those that have replaced the horns.
They must have been ordered by Porsche from the lowest bidder.
IMHO, we should not have to pay for a part that lasts the lifetime on most Buicks, but fails regularly on a 911.
Porsche shamelessly takes our money.
+1 I think I've replaced the horns on all of mine.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced them too last year. Thankfully they were not that expensive, recall $130 or so plus labor.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

Just tested the horn today and it sounded pretty weak. I suspect only one horn is working.

Any suggestions on replacement? maybe with a little more ummmmph.

I'm always in fear of "evhudsons" experience.... a large car/suv backing up and not hearing my horn.

Thanks, Ken
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokestack20
Just tested the horn today and it sounded pretty weak. I suspect only one horn is working.

Any suggestions on replacement? maybe with a little more ummmmph.

I'm always in fear of "evhudsons" experience.... a large car/suv backing up and not hearing my horn.

Thanks, Ken
You can use OEM or automotion.com has a few other choices listed as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

There are several DIY's re removal of the front bumper to access the area where the horns are located. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...carrera-s.html And while you have the bumper off it's an opportunity to install the 3rd radiator and clean/service the other rads. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-filter.html
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 199 Posts

I am working with one also...good aftermarket suggestions?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 PM
evhudsons
Intermediate

nice links, super thanks! And Semper Fi to you too, I was once a field med Corpsman.

I did research and the FIAAM air horns are supposed to sound close to Ferrari, and others like the OEM, and others like the Hella supertones. But...I'd like to hear suggestions too. The Hella looks like it would be somewhat open and not hold water, but I'm sure a lot of horns go bad in that location.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM
evhudsons
Intermediate

I added a triple size radiator to my old Mustang and it made a huge difference, I'm looking into your thread now.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Who uses the horn? Been three years and have no clue what it sounds like. Ok just went to garage and it works and is loud!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by evhudsons
nice links, super thanks! And Semper Fi to you too, I was once a field med Corpsman.

I did research and the FIAAM air horns are supposed to sound close to Ferrari, and others like the OEM, and others like the Hella supertones. But...I'd like to hear suggestions too. The Hella looks like it would be somewhat open and not hold water, but I'm sure a lot of horns go bad in that location.
Uh-Rah... Corpsman are golden in my book! Here's a link to our DIY's should you want to pursue other projects. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ech-index.html

I tend to agree with the other members... I haven't used the horn in some time now. The louder aftermarket exhaust seems to announce the cars presence well enough.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
evhudsons
Intermediate

thanks for that link, super nice!

I have to have a horn for safety reasons, not for road rage. In Key West we NEVER use the horn in the way most people use it. We have a lot of dumb tourists about to walk into moving traffic, there are chickens, people driving the wrong way on a one way, and sometimes we use the horn to say, "what's up bubba you need to come over for a beer and some grilled lobster".

Here's a little known fact that I was told when at Camp Pendleton, Bill Cosby was once a field med corpsman. They told us that because if Bill Cosby could do it and not complain, so could we. It was tough though, but whole lotta fun. One day I Googled it and sure enough it was true, Cosby was trained at the same school.
I spent my whole tour shore duty in Subic Bay, specifically the hospital above Cubi Point airfield. Being 18, single, and tens of thousands of young women on the loose, I was a happy man!

I have come to the conclusion the horns are the problem as it seems to be completely random. I'll know for sure when I install new ones. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 91469972
Who uses the horn? Been three years and have no clue what it sounds like. Ok just went to garage and it works and is loud!
They certainly don't wear out from overuse.
All the more reason why Porsche should be embarrassed to keep on selling them.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 AM
evhudsons
Intermediate

Well, it's official, the horns were shot. I installed the Hella Supertones and they work fine, and consistently. Much louder! The sound has the old raspy metallic sound that my old 1965 bug had but a hella bit louder.

Interestingly the old horns are Bosch. I thought they made good stuff, horns included. I kept them as some time this summer if I get bored I may open them up and try to see if I can get them going again. I fixed my old bug horns at one time as I was a poor starving college student and couldn't afford $15 for a new one. If I can get them to work I'll put them on my boat, and if not they will go to the dump. Even when they worked they didn't have a unique tone, and they weren't loud although I realize it may have only been one horn working.

Taking the bumper off was a slight bitch. I didn't realize at first you had to remove the tires on both sides. It would have been easier had I started it on a weekend morning rather than afterwork trying to beat a rainstorm coming in. I am going to pick up a small hydraulic jack to make it even easier because I think I'll remove the tires from time to time to really clean the wheels inside and out.

There was a bunch of crap in the radiator area, so installing grills will be my next step. I realized when I put it all back together that somehow my center bumper is just a hair off track, so that the hood when closed is slightly lower than the bumper. Oops. I'll fix that when I put the grills on. Why the heck didn't Porshe install grills? Really. Oh well. I love my %$##%ing car anyway despite the strange things they did or didn't do. By the way, that one link: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album430/IMG_1990 is really the bomb link on removing the bumper. I read a bunch of others but that one is perfect and clear.
thanks!

Quick Reply: strange horn issue