Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

Just because you haven't read about it doesn't mean much… We've been tackling DFI 9a1 issues since 2010.

The first two photos are from an engine with 14K miles, the intake ports had material build up .060" (1.5mm) uniformly inside them and the valve guides were shot.

The second pair of photos are from a 9a1 DFI engine with 4,165 miles since new. It never saw its first oil change and never went to the track. Worn cylinders and broken piston rings were found when we pulled the engine apart to be built into our 4.2 X engine. We wondered why it was 27HP low on the dyno, as soon as I broke into it I figured it out pretty quickly.

Just like the M96/M97 engine, no one else is going inside these at the present time (other than my group) and because of that issues are being swept under the rug. With only the oldest of cars outside of warranty, the 9a1 is still immature enough to be unknown (to most).

Time will reveal more. In 2015 I start Instructing the first DFI engine class through Worldpac Training Institute, and technicians will start to learn a little bit of what we already know.
Attached Images     
Old 06-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 263 Posts

What is the main cause of bore scoring. It makes no sense for these cars with such low miles to have these problems.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,392 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Jake, will bore scoring reveal itself on a consistent process of doing UOAs? Thank you!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Robocop305
What is the main cause of bore scoring. It makes no sense for these cars with such low miles to have these problems.
It will take my multi- page article to finally make people understand the dynamics of this failure.

The fact his that low mileage engines are WORSE in regard to this failure, because the cylinders are not worn yet! The tighter the running clearances, the more susceptible the engine is to these particular failures. Being worn and loosened up is one way that most engines dodge the bullet when operated in cold climates.

Jake, will bore scoring reveal itself on a consistent process of doing UOAs? Thank you!
No. By the time any wear metals show up the process is too far along. On top of that, standard UPA is not a particulate test, so the larger pieces of debris that often come from cylinders are too large to be detected by standard UOA.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
On top of that, standard UPA is not a particulate test, so the larger pieces of debris that often come from cylinders are too large to be detected by standard UOA.
Should we get a particle test on top of a regular UOA?

Mike
Old 06-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

UOA = oil analysis?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

What are the signs of having cylinder bore score? Can it be detected without tearing down the engine? Thank you.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:22 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the signs of having cylinder bore score? Can it be detected without tearing down the engine? Thank you.
To answer your first question, yes, Oil Analysis.

To answer this one....

A variety of symptoms, sometimes nothing, sometimes a ticking sound, sometimes oil consumption along with ticking sound.

Supposedly, you can use a borescope to see if the cyclinders are scored; however, there is a caveat! You can't really tell how deep the scoring is with it. So, if it's showing no signs like I described above, but the borescore shows to have some scoring, you could be OK.

There was a thread with the title, "Does all of our engines have some borescoring". or something like that.

Anyway, I thought I would answer so you wouldn't be hanging!.

Mike
Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will take my multi- page article to finally make people understand the dynamics of this failure.

The fact his that low mileage engines are WORSE in regard to this failure, because the cylinders are not worn yet! The tighter the running clearances, the more susceptible the engine is to these particular failures. Being worn and loosened up is one way that most engines dodge the bullet when operated in cold climates.

No. By the time any wear metals show up the process is too far along. On top of that, standard UPA is not a particulate test, so the larger pieces of debris that often come from cylinders are too large to be detected by standard UOA.
I'm not sure what this means. Could you elaborate?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the response. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard is normal for our cars to consume oil. Also, the flight 6 engines make all sort of noises to include some ticking sound.
The following users liked this post:
rocro (03-18-2020)
Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

This makes no sense. All engines at some point are low mileage engines... whether they have issues or not.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe he means low mileage engine not broken in yet and operated in very cold temps (cold-soak, cold starts), vs. a nicely broken in engine with lots of miles on it already. The former being a worse case scenario.

Don't buy your new 991 in the dead of winter in Buffalo...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
I believe he means low mileage engine not broken in yet and operated in very cold temps (cold-soak, cold starts), vs. a nicely broken in engine with lots of miles on it already. The former being a worse case scenario.

Don't buy your new 991 in the dead of winter in Buffalo...
He actually meant that engines broken in in cold weather are less prone to bore scoring. I think....
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He actually meant that engines broken in in cold weather are less prone to bore scoring. I think....
That would not make much sense either.

I'm hoping that Flat6 Innovations is a bit of an alarmist.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

No, not broken in. Well beyond break in, at 20-45K miles, generally.

Being alarmed saves engines. I am only sharing what we see and what we've seen explode in terms of failures in the past 4 months after one of the toughest winters on record. Most of the cars that fail are C4s? Why? Because they perform very well in the snow and ice and are often driven more than any C2 would be in those conditions.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability