Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by biglicks
I fixed the loose screw in the drivers door, another 2001 model rattle beaten. Fitted 15mm spacers on the rear, will post pics of before and after. Tried 7mm spacers on the front but these weren't hub centric so caused steering vibration. Thinking of going 15mm on the fronts too, any thoughts on this?
Interested as well. Normally on my Audi's I have always spaced evenly out. Wouldnt 15mm front and rear be like the same fender to rim distance as the GT2 offset?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I fixed the loose screw in the drivers door, another 2001 model rattle beaten. Fitted 15mm spacers on the rear, will post pics of before and after. Tried 7mm spacers on the front but these weren't hub centric so caused steering vibration. Thinking of going 15mm on the fronts too, any thoughts on this?
i was 7x15 on twists and it was the bomb. not sure why you had vibration issues !? but mine were h&r's iirc. been a long time since i balled them for "proper" wheel sizes 9x12x18
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 15's all round would be pretty close to GT2 spec, but not 100%. If I get the fronts sitting the way the rears do I will be pretty pleased, the rears look great. No rubbing with standard twists and KW V3 lowered suspension.

For the vibration I think this is connected to them not being hub centric like the 15's. FVD kit on mine. There was a hole for a screw to attach to the brake disk but this didn't line up with anything I could screw into, perhaps that was part of the problem?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

I think 15's all round would be pretty close to GT2 spec, but not 100%. If I get the fronts sitting the way the rears do I will be pretty pleased, the rears look great. No rubbing with standard twists and KW V3 lowered suspension.

For the vibration I think this is connected to them not being hub centric like the 15's. FVD kit on mine. There was a hole for a screw to attach to the brake disk but this didn't line up with anything I could screw into, perhaps that was part of the problem?
if it were me? i'd find a workaround and get the 7's to "work". set properly up front. 7x15 is bad*** on stockers. I'm stymied by the non hubecentric aspect, so can't help there! that is a strange one, given they are "made" for our cars!

i would suspect alignment and/or wheel's being tru/untrue and/or +/- balanced. not so much the spacer itself. just a thought. good luck.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 PM
MBR_WILL
Advanced

It's getting a custom exhaust fabricated for it
Old 01-27-2015, 02:35 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kalyan
Washed, clay bar, polished and waxed the car. The paint was real bad condition and this weekend was the first time I had time for this job since purchasing the car back in November. I am quite happy with the results. Before: After:
Looks great!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:39 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Came up nice- great shine.
Originally Posted by ReidN
Looks great!
Thanks, guys! I spent roughly 9 hours on this. When I first washed the car, the microfiber cloth would "drag" on the body. Now it just slides down with no resistance.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
if it were me? i'd find a workaround and get the 7's to "work". set properly up front. 7x15 is bad*** on stockers. I'm stymied by the non hubecentric aspect, so can't help there! that is a strange one, given they are "made" for our cars!

i would suspect alignment and/or wheel's being tru/untrue and/or +/- balanced. not so much the spacer itself. just a thought. good luck.
I will post photos (heading home to take some now) and show you the 7mm spacer (not sure they are made just for our cars). You could be right on some other balance issue, don't have without but it may just be exaggerating a minor problem.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

I will post photos (heading home to take some now) and show you the 7mm spacer (not sure they are made just for our cars). You could be right on some other balance issue, don't have without but it may just be exaggerating a minor problem.
apologies, i meant simply that the h&r's i had one were afaik? made for 996tt. but my point about balance remains since i never had any issues and ran same as you. stock twists. good luck, but again, i would suspect balance/alignment and/or wheel weights/untrue etc.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

got me some fancy new LED tails and i must say, they have exceeded any hope or expectation i *might* have had had. anyone that picks up a set can't possibly be sorry. i was able to try a set of clears but they were to bright/blingy for my blk/slvr rat rod but the smoked/red are compatible with all my black accents and take years off the look of the age of the car. funny how one thing can do that. they may look to the knowing eye like an attempt to make the car "newer' looking, but it really does update it. it's both subtle and dramatic if such a combination can co-exist lol
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

got me some fancy new LED tails and i must say, they have exceeded any hope or expectation i *might* have had had. anyone that picks up a set can't possibly be sorry. i was able to try a set of clears but they were to bright/blingy for my blk/slvr rat rod but the smoked/red are compatible with all my black accents and take years off the look of the age of the car. funny how one thing can do that. they may look to the knowing eye like an attempt to make the car "newer' looking, but it really does update it. it's both subtle and dramatic if such a combination can co-exist lol
I like them! Tell us more.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

How much? They could be an option if the stock ones fail. They are known for cracking around the screws. They're also 500$ a pop!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:49 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Looking good Mark, so the clear is in smoke and red is just red is that right ?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by James88
Looking good Mark, so the clear is in smoke and red is just red is that right ?
thx guys. i love em. they were 910 out the door. got the last set in stock, but he has 50 more sets coming. he's ordering 50 at a time. not sure why. contact shane at al and eds auto sound or he's still the thread on 6 speed,.. has all his info its his thread ( the one i got caught being an idiot in.. again ! )

but i am local so i took a shot called the guy and just drive thru the 30 mins traffic. put em on in 5 mins. the tabs are NEW! which was half the battle as mine were toast.

jim the smoke part is the red, the clear is clear but there isn't much of it. my car is semi murdered out blk/slvr so the smoked red works perfectly.. for me! i tried clear its ok for silver car.. just not whats left of mine!

910 out the door incl tax... ! def worth it, they look awesome. i stood outside last nite just using the emerg flashers like a kid lol
Old 01-29-2015, 09:36 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by neanicu
How much? They could be an option if the stock ones fail. They are known for cracking around the screws. They're also 500$ a pop!
my tabs were gone fully so i would've needed oems soon anyway.. so the 910 was just a replacement part in a way! still worth it. totally freshens up the car. -10 yrs! at least. lol

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?