Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

some better pics!
Attached Images               
Old 09-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Beautiful car. I almost bought one a few years ago. It was immaculate like the one in your pic. I'll be curious to see what you think of it after driving it for a bit.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Engine bay shots?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow! Car is a time capsule! Looks great.

Nothing wrong with scratching an old ferrari itch. I have been chasing a 1 owner 348 spider for years now.. I know they are not the greatest but all ferraris are interesting to me for some reason.

Joining F-chat would be your best hope of trying to figure out how to keep this thing going
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Engine bay shots?
okay!
Attached Images          
Old 09-14-2014, 08:29 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the car. Enjoy!!!

When I was shopping I decided that a 355 would be to costly to maintain So I bought a 993 and have working on it ever sense. Lol. Mostly by choice

How's driving Experience ?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

nice ride, time to play when the new toy.
enjoy it...
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I've only put 200Km on it.
It reminds me of my 85 targa. Feels pretty neutral in the corners. Shifter has a great solid feel. Pretty easy to heal/toe. Manual steering and stiff clutch. Not a great driving position (for me), I'm 5'7, have the seat as forward as possible and just comfortable with the clutch, but have to recline the seat some to prevent my head from hitting the roof so my arms are stretched out. Wouldn't work very well for a DE/helmet. Great for cruising around though and that's what I bought the car for so no problem. Haven't really pushed it yet and haven't hit the rev limiter (will have to check first if it has one...) Feels a little 'delicate' but might be just that it's new and don't have complete confidence in it yet. I'll change the fluids and timing belt this fall and will probably have more confidence in it after I go through it myself.

The little minor dents were taken care of by the painless dent guy - did a great job. I fixed some minor things like a slightly loose aluminum door sill/covered it with Xpel, fixed alignment/stop of the engine lid so it closes and pops open perfectly, aligned the passenger door latch/greased hinges/door stop so it opens and closes perfectly. Some Victoria car wax, cleaned the leather/lexol, etc. enjoying it very much.
Feel a little guilty not touching the 993tt the last week. Will spend some time on the 993 this weekend!
Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Remember, Italian Driving Style == arms straight out!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

check out www.ferrarichat.com
Old 10-07-2014, 03:05 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

some impressions after a few weeks and some tinkering.
Joined f-chat. I did the timing belts, changed the oil and transmission fluid. The belts were a bit of a pain, mainly due to the ac compressor which is in the way and is quite heavy and is difficult to remove and replace (thought about deleting it at one point since it was such a pain..). Getting the markings right and belts on without screwing up the timing was not bad, just had to be careful and confident, if you mess up the markings, you are obviously screwed. Changing the oil and transmission fluid is easier on the 328, was surprised to find that it takes about the same volume as the 993 turbo (actually takes 6 L of transmission fluid and 9 L of motor oil). And can use the same stuff (I like redline 75/90 ns and the 20/50 v twin) in both cars! My impression is that the F car's wiring/fuel lines/ac lines are not as protected as well a in P cars - when I was going through the 328 there were places for example where the fuel line was rubbing against something and wearing (which I had to protect with some rubber material), which I suspect over more time would have caused a failure...

F328 is a pretty car.

I took the turbo out tonight for a little drive, first time in a couple weeks since I've been trying to get to know the 328. The shift pattern is different and I got confused. I like the 328's shifter but the 993 shifter, the way I have it set up is pretty sweet too. The 993 is much more of a beast and I was giggling because it's so fricking fast. Handles much better too. Very different experiences but both pretty analogue. Not really a fair comparison performance wise since the 993 is 10 years newer, has the big engine and the suspension mods.

Looking at both in the garage, sitting in them and wiping both down. I'm feeling pretty lucky to have both cars
Old 10-07-2014, 03:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Basal!
I have toyed with the same idea for years. But I cant ever seem to find the deal that would just
blow me out of the water until I saw a 2010 Ferrari California for sale for $112K !!!!! My heart jumped up
in my throat and I started sweating until I saw the SOLD sign on it. By far the best deal I have seen on any 360,430,599 etc. I would like to get one that can have the belts changed without dropping the motor, and that means 430 or newer. I have a friend who is a East Coast Ferrari connoisseur, and he told me to get a 575 Maranello. Its the least expensive 12 cyclinder out there and the 12's appreciate more. But I havent found anything I can get and still keep my 911 and that is a NO-NO in this quest.
But man that California had me going for awhile. It DOES have 77K miles on it but the damn thing is IMMACULATE the seats dont have any wear! I think a 85 lb Nun must have owned it. I dont see any other way it could be in such fine AS NEW condition with that many miles? Here is the link as its still up:
http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/20...ri-california/
would it be worth the risk?
Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

OG that California looks nice, when I was reading your post, I thought you meant you bought it when you saw the sold sign!
The 308/328 series cars, you can change the belts in the car although it is a pain.. The 430 has chains I thought but might be wrong, not too up on the newer f cars.
Nice to see you posting, hadn't seen you here for a bit.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:03 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking good! I heard those handle terribly. I wonder what it feels like compared to a 993TT? I have never been in one so my comments are only from what I've heard.

I love the look of these!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:08 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a partner with a 2006 F430 with a real six speed. I told him the same thing. When he is done, let me know!

Quick Reply: I had to give away my parking sign.