Sponsored by:

I had to give away my parking sign.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
Looking good! I heard those handle terribly...
I love the look of these!
Well I think it handles okay for what it is. It's definitely fun to drive and as I mentioned previously, the driving position might have some impact on pecked handling. I haven't driven a 80's 911 for a while but I'm not sure there would be a big difference. Still fast enough to get into trouble for sure, and more interesting at reasonable speeds vs newer cars where it would be boring at same speeds. I like the look too!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Basal I havent posted here in awhile I was on the GT3 forums mostly 997, and 997. Even after I sold
my 997 GT3 and bought a PDK 2009 C2S I posted over there because the 997 and 991 new guys arent the same hard core Porsche guys I am used to. The GT3 guys are more like the guys here in the 993 TT forum. More to my liking. Although I have a 50th 991 and I am so happy with it and its the best driving experience I have had with ANY 911, I dearly miss my 993TT. So I have some back over here to live my 993 TT dreams through you guys and your exploits.
The guys that are in the plain 997 and 991 forums may have just bought their first Porsche ever so the posts over there are kinda bland. A typical 991,997 post is like "First Porsche What wax do you guys use?"
Here the posts are like " Do you guys use titanium inserts on your RUF Turbo R conversions or do you use the stock block?" Similar to the GT3 guys typical posts.

And there is Rufus to come look at as well as all the other RUF Turbo Rs here to come look at. I love those cars. Not to mention the sky rocketing prices of these things.

BTW I had a small UAV business, and I am working with a guy up in BC who wants to use a UAV and FLIR cameras to investigate Sasquatch on Vancouver Island.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:59 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

OG
you're right about the other forums, I like browsing the na 993, and 7gt2/3 forums too (and the off topic for the 'I'd ...' thread)
UAV ? drones for finding big foot, great idea! That guy must be hinding somewhere. Would have thought the interior would have been a better place to look, didn't know he was on the island and thought sasquatch was an interior native indian term. Be pretty cool if found!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you driven a 348 before? I actually got a chance to take one for a quick short drive last week, car only had 10K kms on it, 1 owner local Vancouver vehicle too. A friend just acquired it recently and it looks so new too.

So different from the 993, which feels much more modern IMO. It def takes some time to get use too esp that no power steering in tight spots. But I think your already use to that Basal.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

The 348 at the ferrari store, Tony - don't know the car or Tony personally but have mutual friends and I think he did work for me before.
The 348 is a cool car too but needs an engine out for belts and has a reputation regarding handling at the limits, not well loved, not sure how much you read and hear is true... One of my teachers had a testarossa which I also considered but the 328 seemed a better fit. Lots of options, was looking for a nsx for a bit too!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:38 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

The ONLY reason I would like to have a Ferrari for awhile is for the noise. I drove my friends 360 and the noise was spectacular, like a F1 car. But I would like one I dont have to worry about maintenance
and that means 430 or later. BUT a friend of mine is a cardiologist and he said the modern Ferraris starting with the F430 are massed produced and sloppy in their execution. No where NEAR a 911 he says. So, what do you do? Life is so much harder when you dont make as much money as Justin Beeber does! One cool car at a time! Who lives like that?! I do. If you dont include the X5M as a cool car.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

The noise in the old car is okay, haven't had it above 6K rpm or so yet, although I'm more confident it won't blow up as I've done the belts. But not like the 355 or newer cars. Getting a Fcar is like a bucket list type of thing for car guys I think.
Yup proud of our export JB

made some cf pedals, floor boards.
will work on aluminum skid plates this weekend.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Taj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Basal,
Congrats on the new purchase. Very nice lines, classic red with cream interior.

Fcar fever must be catching!

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a MY2000 manual F360 Modena in March. Was a bit of an impulse purchase and one of those moments in life when a deal comes along that you can't really turn down. I had just missed out on a silver car 3 weeks earlier and had pretty much given up on a 360 being available at the right price for me. But, an email popped into my inbox and a rushed visit into London to view and then purchase, all done in 3 days!

Looking back, I think I was actually in shock as I drove it home!

Its a fantastic car and like the 430, has an access panel behind the seats so that you can get to the belts, and relatively cheap maintenance compared to the 355 and 348.

To drive, its a very different experience to the 993tt. The 360 is light, being constructed from aluminium (1300kg) with a 400bhp v8, revving to a 8500 limit and beautifully balanced.

It is pure drama, compared to the understated 993tt.

I love them both tbh and though the 993tt is a keeper, my original plan of keeping the 360 for a year or so is faltering..... purely because it has seriously grown on me.

In the time I've had it, I've replaced the aftermarket stereo for an original Ferrari item, tidied up the interior by repainting speaker grills that were a little worn, R&R both door cards to tighten up the door handles and adjust the locking mechanisms, had a belts and fluids service, replaced both upper ball joints and sway bar drop links on the front suspension. Parts prices are a little crazy but it is possible to source Maserati branded equivalents for some parts with a 50% saving.

Basal you wrote "Looking at both in the garage, sitting in them and wiping both down. I'm feeling pretty lucky to have both cars "

I could not have put it better myself.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

For those who are interested in a local Silicon Valley driving experience, Club Sportiva just took delivery of a Ferrari 458 http://www.clubsportiva.com/clubhouse/silicon-valley

Quick Reply: I had to give away my parking sign.