Sponsored by:

993 tt engine into 964

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Jamie you legend, thanks!

Have you got any more pics, I'd love to see them whatever they are.

What turbos/power are you running? I bet it shifts a bit
Old 09-22-2014, 04:05 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

I am very interested to see how this turns out ............Should be a lot of fun to drive
Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

jevvy, my engine is a Ruf clone. Bill S. here on the board sold me authentic Ruf Turbo R ecu and cams. Kevin here (ultimate motorwerks) cloned a pair of Ruf turbo's. They are same hybrid Ruf uses. I finished up with addition of a larger GT oil cooler, upgraded pressure regulator, billet blow-off valves (although Ruf uses stock i think), and reusable, washable airfilter (forgot name but is red and not K&N). I don't have the side mounted mufflers as it won't fit under rear fenders, but I have muffler bypass which is just as well as I love the sound of my mini-monster. Oh, forgot, you will also need sports CAT. Kevin does the 130mm, 100 cell cats that most european tuners use-including Ruf.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, before I forget, while you have your engine out, I would highly recommend you shave off the corner of the AC bracket. Once your engine goes into the bay, I will guarantee you will have a very difficult time getting fan and alternator belt in.

Go to the 993 DIY section, I'm the first poster there under "DIY AC bracket modification". You will thank me later!!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Oh, before I forget, while you have your engine out, I would highly recommend you shave off the corner of the AC bracket. Once your engine goes into the bay, I will guarantee you will have a very difficult time getting fan and alternator belt in.

Go to the 993 DIY section, I'm the first poster there under "DIY AC bracket modification". You will thank me later!!
Top tip - thanks dude! Link here for any future searches:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...nstalling.html

Your engine sounds cracking, have you ever had it dynod?

Because of the age of the car the engine is going into I dont actually have to run any cats but I think i will fit all the standard stuff to begin with and get it running then make a more free-flowing exhaust and junk the cats.

Thanks again for your input - please keep them coming
Old 10-01-2014, 04:42 AM
911TT33
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reckon a DP extended turbo tail would look badass on that black 964!!

I think rennspd sells them or Better Bodies Motorsport.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Quick update that I posted over on the 964 board:

So I was checking the intake gasket thingys the other day and spotted some debris:

Hmm - that cant be good so decided to pull the cover:

Hope I can remember where all this goes:

All went well apart from these little tinkers:

Tempted to just putt it all to bits now I'm this far and check the rings and the guides - hmmmm!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Sheering off bolts happens quite often - and then it gets tricky of course. Breaking off the studs for the exhaust manifolds also is very tricky.

Its almost certain that you will want to do a valve job with guides if you check it - what is the mileage on the engine?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike J
Its almost certain that you will want to do a valve job with guides if you check it - what is the mileage on the engine?
Thanks Mike - milage was 60k. I'm going to hold off a full rebuild as its inexpensive for me to fit the engine to check its condition and I might get lucky - if I dont I will just crack on and tear into it.

Took a couple more pics over the past few weeks, check this little tinker out

From the state of the break area it looks like it happened a while ago(before the engine came to me). Its non load bearing so I think I'll try a macGyver repair first to save yanking the chain box - any other ideas?

Another lucky find:

I think I'll send them off for a refurb or maybe just track down some new ones.

Parts stock is gathering pace, amazing how expensive all the little seals and stuff are but would be silly to not do them while I'm at this stage

Ready for the next phase:

Sorry for the blurry pic but does anyone know if the fingers on the stainless air diverter jobby are supposed to line up with the gaps or the fins - I seem to have a mixture of both?

Valve cover off:

Cams look clean:

Cleaned up ready for new gaskets on the valve cover:

New(Bosch) vs old(Beru) plugs - slight variation in part number (FR6LDC vs FR6LDU)

Bottom valve cover off:

Chain box cover removed ready for new gasket and o rings:

Chain box looking fairly clean:

Quick Reply: 993 tt engine into 964