Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 tt engine into 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014 | 07:49 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Default 993 tt engine into 964

My first post in the tt forum(I'm a 964 owner) and looking for a little bit of help from you guys.

I've picked up a 993tt lump to put into my 964:

I'll be doing the swap myself, ive done a few 993 NA swaps but this is my first turbo mission. The engine was out a wrecked car(not too wrecked) and I got the loom, ECU, intercooler and all the rest of the bits I need. The ECU has a 993 618 681 85 part number which looks like its the 430PS version(UK car and engine).

Anyways, heres the question....I want to get the turbos rebuilt and was wondering what the latest options on hybrids were? I called CR turbos(who I have used before for a turbo on a different make) and they couldn't really give me any info and have started looking elsewhere. I know the US guys have a reliable option but was wondering about UK suppliers/re builders.

The 964 is a C2 so I dont want to go too lairy. I will likely use it for a few trackdays so I want good reliable power, not "tuned to the moon" stylee. I like factory stuff and if the turbos were in good condition I'd probably just run them standard but since I'm facing a turbo rebuild I'd like to consider any of the hybrid options available.

The car is also pre 91 so I dont need cats, will probably make my own exhaust of some sort.

Any UK hybrid rebuild tips/experiences would be most welcome.
Old 05-27-2014 | 11:01 AM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

That will be one crazy car. Love transplants. Subscribed!!
Old 05-27-2014 | 11:41 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Is there a specific reason you want to rebuild the turbos? I just am asking because the engine is not running, so how do you know?

I would get the engine installed and running in the car first, and determine if the 430HP is enough (it should be!!), and run the engine in with the stock setup, and then start the upgrading/replacing/etc. You have a better chance of getting it running this way, or at least that is my thinking.

Either way, interesting project!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-27-2014 | 11:54 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
That will be one crazy car. Love transplants. Subscribed!!

Originally Posted by Mike J
Is there a specific reason you want to rebuild the turbos? I just am asking because the engine is not running, so how do you know?

I would get the engine installed and running in the car first, and determine if the 430HP is enough (it should be!!), and run the engine in with the stock setup, and then start the upgrading/replacing/etc. You have a better chance of getting it running this way, or at least that is my thinking.

Either way, interesting project!
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately one of the turbos has been left exposed while sat in a garage and is full of grit, the other turbo looks like its eaten something it shouldn't so needs doing too(The plastic boost pipe of that turbo had a hole in it so most likely chewed on a bit of that)

I agree 430 might be more than enough to get me going and a standard turbo rebuild might still happen but it'd be a shame to miss the opportunity to add a little spice for a little more ££
Old 05-27-2014 | 12:01 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

No spice is a "little" with 993TTs. You can get turbos rebuilt back to stock under $1K USD which is reasonable.
Old 05-27-2014 | 07:19 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Interesting project. Will have to look in the 964 forum for your thread and follow it (if you made a thread about this swapp). I wonder if the engine with the flex charge hoses will fit straightforward in your NB C2 964 ? Or maybe it will need some "massage" to clear few bits of the turbo stuff...
Old 05-28-2014 | 12:46 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Interesting project, if you go forward, start a thread with details!

I had a 964, and I'm trying to imagine how it would be to have OVER 430hp in this narrow body C2... That will need skills!
Old 05-28-2014 | 04:24 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by chsu74
No spice is a "little" with 993TTs. You can get turbos rebuilt back to stock under $1K USD which is reasonable.
A standard rebuild of the turbos might still happen, thanks for the price guide.

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Interesting project. Will have to look in the 964 forum for your thread and follow it (if you made a thread about this swapp). I wonder if the engine with the flex charge hoses will fit straightforward in your NB C2 964 ? Or maybe it will need some "massage" to clear few bits of the turbo stuff...
964 forum thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ransplant.html

Regarding the charge hoses - they fit within the engine tin area of the tt engine footprint which is the same size as a NA 993 engine which I know fits in a 964 engine bay so I'm fairly confident they wont be an issue. I have however read a few times that the 993 tt engine sits a tiny bit further back, not sure if this is engine/chassis or gearbox related but there is some fore/aft wiggle room and of course some short bellhousing/clutch options so again I'm not too worried.

Originally Posted by pmalenfa
Interesting project, if you go forward, start a thread with details! I had a 964, and I'm trying to imagine how it would be to have OVER 430hp in this narrow body C2... That will need skills!
Thread posted above - I'll try to keep them both updated with any relevant bits. My previous project was a 1989 911 with a 993 3.6 in the back, that was about 1100kg and 296bhp which quite is lairy to say the least, I'm hoping this will be similar but retain some comforts Heres the 89 car playing catch with a mates gt3 RS at oulton this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmzjoJCvFU#t=481 Also I notice theres plenty guys on here running big HP in 2wd mode so as long as I can get some wider rubber I'm hoping it will be on the fun side of silly.
Old 05-28-2014 | 04:48 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Is this the engine that was listed and relisted on ebay time and time again?
Old 05-28-2014 | 04:58 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Is this the engine that was listed and relisted on ebay time and time again?
Yes thats right matt He was never going to let the auction run to the end and was just using it as free advertising.
Old 05-28-2014 | 05:18 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Well done! Looking forward to see this project progress!
Old 05-29-2014 | 12:43 PM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Its definiltey an interesting project, make sure you keep the updates coming.
What are you going to do about the intercooler placement? It could be fun to have inlets at the top of the rear wings like a ruf ctr.
Have always considered a similar project myself.

Steve
Old 05-30-2014 | 02:21 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by sfl993t4
Its definiltey an interesting project, make sure you keep the updates coming.
What are you going to do about the intercooler placement? It could be fun to have inlets at the top of the rear wings like a ruf ctr.
Have always considered a similar project myself.

Steve
Dont worry ill keep yus updated. Ill run the standard intercooler to begin with and fit whatever engine lid that works with it, v2 might be different.

Just busy removing stuff im never going to need like SAI crap and the power steering stuff, will run an elecric PS pump to reduce rear end weight as much as possible. (Supprised not more of you are doing this?)

So cmon guys, who is the uk 993tt turbo rebuild people? Or have i got to send the stateside?
Old 06-01-2014 | 02:26 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

You can do it! Quick things to know:

1. You will need a whale tail or similar as the intercooler will be way up there

2. You will need either a muffler bypass pipe or look into a 911-type rearward muffler. The 993tt mufflers will not fit your narrow body

3. You will need a matching 993tt ECU. Be prepared to do a little hacking into the computer and lose some of your electronics (headlamp washers, automatic indoor lights when door opens...... little things like this.

4. You will need to have a dash turbo pressure gauge

5. You need an upgraded transmission to cope with the power of the 993tt engine

6. To make the whole car safe It is highly recommended you beef up other parts such as brakes and suspension.

Good luck !

Jaime
Old 06-01-2014 | 09:07 AM
Taj
Racer

In a word, you don't need to send stateside. I used CR turbos to rebuild my k24's. They would also happily do K16's which is what you will probably have. I did a hybrid with them at the time but decided to keep it all standard porsche ie. k24's and the matching Porsche ECU.

The other thing I would say about CR is that their after care and service is brilliant.

I have an old 911 and Porsche world magazine featuring a red 964 with a 993 tt engine fitted... January 2004 was the issue. That may give you some inspiration as they had it up at 500hp with garret turbos, custom exhaust and other mods.

KK

Quick Reply: 993 tt engine into 964