home garage lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default home garage lifts

This topic no doubt has been discussed here before but I haven't located it in the search routine yet, perhaps someone can provide the link.

I've recently completed a new stand alone garage with plenty of height for a hydraulic lift and I'm in the market. I will usually opt for commercial grade equipment (especially with 2 tons of potential energy above your head) but don't want to spend money on features which are not cost effective. Any of you care to provide your experience?

The Cayenne would be the heaviest vehicle I'd be lifting. In particular I need to resolve the question of asymetric vs symetric arms...no difference in price, but have to order one or the other.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of great info/experience on lifts in the Racing/DE forums from indy to home mechanics.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a 10-ton 2-post Rotary lift about two years ago, and I am very happy with it! I chose Rotary because both the Porsche and the VW dealers here in town have these lifts, and there is a local company who sells, installs, and maintains them... The only unique requirement needed for installation was that I needed 8" of 5000psi concrete where the post mounts were drilled and inserted... I had the whole bay poured with the 5000psi stuff, but you can easily just retrofit pads into your current slab...

I, too have a Cayenne S and routeinly do maintenance to it on the lift... Yesterday, I did an oil change to my GMC pickup as well, so the weight of your Cayenne is not a problem... Trust me, once you have a lift of your own, you will find all kinds of uses for it. I bet I have a vehicle in the air at least once a week on average! And, considering the utility of a lift, the cost really isn't that high... So long as you've got plenty of ceiling height (10' or better), I highly recommend one!

Let us know what you decide to do...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

go over to garagejournal.com. They opine about lifts like we opine about engine trays.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What style of lift are you looking for? I recently put in a 4 post Bendpak HD9 hydraulic lift and love it. I store the Porsche up top and my wife's Acura below it and it works flawless! I paid $2700 w/free shipping from Automotive Service Equipment in CT whicg sells a ton of Bendpak lifts. (They are a commercial rated lift bt the way).

Here is a link w/pics of the lift from a gathering I had at my house. We always seem to have a car on the lift at each gathering so they get their use:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...gathering.html

Last edited by larpy; 12-05-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
go over to garagejournal.com. They opine about lifts like we opine about engine trays.
+1 That is where I did my research

Originally Posted by larpy
What style of lift are you looking for? I recently put in a 4 post Bendpak hydraulic lift and love it. I store the Porsche up top and my wife's Acura below it and it works flawless! I paid $2700 w/free shipping from Automotive Service Equipment in CT whicg sells a ton of Bendpak lifts. (They are a commercial rated lift bt the way).
The 4 post lifts are good for storage as the suspension doesn't hang and they are easier to get a car on and off of. You don't have to fool with the arms or worry about vehicle balance.
I recently bought a Bendpak HD9. A few months back I did a clutch change on the lift so it is good for maintenance too. I bought the sliding bridge jack which allows you to raise one end of the vehicle so you can do tires, brakes, etc. These jacks do add to the cost significantly especially if you get the air operated version. I would also look at the ProPark lift too. One of the downfalls of the Bendpak is that you need compressed air to release the locks to lower the vehicle. However, I think they do make a new accessory that eliminates this need.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:42 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is Larpy's lift. Sweet!

My lift looks like the one in the corner.

Bob-
Attached Images   
Old 12-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 210 Posts

My criteria was 1. Manufuactured in North America, ALI Approved (American Lift Institute) for quality, limited ceiling height practicality and convenient rest points for the air locks to offer me the most options. Cost, although always important, was less of a consideration given our plans to walk under there! and store some pretty nice hardware to boot...

After getting my list from the ALI, and a two internet research sessions the choice was pretty simple. I installed this Ben-Pak unit which is the most "North American" I could find....which doesn't say much because everything is manufactured over seas and assembled here or alternatively, they send NA parts from here to get assembled there..but to my knowledge there exists no NA domestic parted and assembled unit. I liked most the quality of the metals and welds - read carefully how manufacturers spin their story.

Be warned through, it`s like starting mods on your 993. After ordering the lift, I coffered my ceiling an additional 24 inches by hand framing new trusses - then painted the walls Shell Pectin Yellow - put a new hardned surface on the floor - added three wall mounted tire racks from The Tire Rack- bought two new garage doors (side jacks because now the ceiling was partially gone in one bay - new cabinets with aluminum look laminate - rolling tool kits - lighting with cages over it for an industrial look - flush mounted ceiling speakers with volume control - a large 6ft by 2ft mirror mounted low on the wall so I can drive or back myself on the ramp with no one guiding me - flip up work surface that drops out of the way when not in use....I was out of control so my wife said...hmmm..

I've got a cool picture of my RUF BTR over my M3 on my laptop taken at the end of the summer at the office I will post on Monday but this snap shows my Range Rover (+- GVW 6800) the day I installed the lift before installing the new doors and starting the cosmetic stuff in the garage. Note it has 5`10`clearance to walk underneath. Will eventually have the 997 TT on the ground with my 993 track car on the higher level.

My hoist was a blast to install and you will not be dissapointed you did it..

Overdraft
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW .. !! i just get a new RR (very nice truck indeed ) and is HEAVY AS HELL !!!! so this have to be a good lift !!!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:29 PM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bendpak scissor lift. Great for low ceiling garages and you don't have to drill any holes in the concrete. Downside you need to build 2" ramps to clear the lift for lowered Porsches.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Got a 9000lb Greg Smith lift...way overkill but it works phenomenal. Wayyyy better than working off the ground. It has large bottom pads, so the pad only has to be 4+ inches thick. No special foundations required.

Check out my article on my web site: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Two_Post_Lift

I did not want anything fancy, and my garage is only has 10'6" ceilings. The lift works great, and I can get the bottom of a 911 up high enough for me to stand under (barely...I am 6').

Best bang for the buck, quick a bit cheaper than the other name brands.

Just my two cents!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I went with the American Automotive Equipment 4 post lift. I primarily use it for storage and some for maintenance.

Be very careful about "built in the USA" claims. It may be assembled in the US and may have a US manufactured motor and hydraulics, but the real question is what is the source of the steel and where was the welding done; especially the stops that support the vehicle weight.

Most steel in the US right now comes from China or India. That is a fact. Good luck finding steel sourced from the US. An inspector at my job tells me there is a simple way to check the integrity of the welds and I plan to check the welds on my unit once I learn how it's done. Here's a link to AAE and a photo of my setup.

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...s7000xlt-d.htm

Last edited by autobonrun; 12-24-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

This video is fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUjq6ijvVc

It might be unfair given all the shear at the end...one set of arms are taking a lot of load.

Funny thing, this video is from Greg Smith, and my Greg Smith lift looks like this one. However, I only put 911's on my lift, so I think with a 9000lb rating, and a car at 3300lbs, I have quite a bit of safety factor.

cheers,

Mike
Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Appreciate all the posts, you guys have been very helpful, thanks a bunch. I don't need parking space and will want to accommodate a variety of vehicles and a variety of maintenance chores including wheel changes, so I think I'm going to go with the two post. I don't suppose I will need anything more than a 5 ton nominal capacity.There are a number of commercial grade models available and it now looks like a buyers market. Over at www.completehydraulics.com there is a CJ10,000BP model that appears to have all the features I need for $1700. Am I missing something?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up getting:

http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-ETP/TP9F

But this was in the old days before the house went way over budget (in fact, getting toys like this was probably the reason it was over budget).

However, this one:

http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/IOS/MTP-9F

Looks like its fairly inexpensive and should meet your needs. Good luck with your search. You'll love having one, and so will all of your friends

-reiner

Quick Reply: home garage lifts