993 Forum 1995-1998

home garage lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Look for reviews, do your research, and remember you are buying a device that puts several thousand pounds over your head...so be safe.

Not sure what you mean by "5 ton nominal capacity", you mean 10,000lbs? that is a pretty large lift, sounds great. Take a look at the video I posted about the stress test on a 10,000 lbs lift that had a major failure.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yowza! I just watched that video mike, and its scary.

I actually got the TP-10 (which is like the TP-9, only it was 10,000 rated and had a lifetime warranty). I liked the idea of lifetime warranty, but perhaps if you cheap out on your lift the warranty and your life will end at the same time

p.s. It looks like they were not centering the load in that test -- I always work extra hard to get what I feel the 993 cg is toward the center of the lift arms.

-reiner
Old 12-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, I agree, I think it was an unfair test in that it really loaded one side of the lift. That can a happen with vehicles, but not that bad. I am the same as you, I tend to try to put the 993 on the lift centered to the weight as best as possible. Hard to really tell how well its balanced though..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Look for reviews, do your research, and remember you are buying a device that puts several thousand pounds over your head...so be safe.

Not sure what you mean by "5 ton nominal capacity", you mean 10,000lbs? that is a pretty large lift, sounds great. Take a look at the video I posted about the stress test on a 10,000 lbs lift that had a major failure.

Cheers,

Mike
Indeed.....my engineer's license wouldn't be worth a damn should they pry me out from under the rig, eh? "Nominal" to me means that in theory its ultimate strength will accommodate that load (maximum safe load on the extension arms being the constraint I would presume)....as a practical matter I suspect the hydraulics will deteriorate much faster should you be hoisting 10,000 lb repeatedly. Being ever mindful of the potential energy, this one is about twice the capacity i will need.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: home garage lifts