Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
So do you agree that the pops are absent in S+ with PSE on the .2?
It says it all on page 11, but simply put yes the pops/crackles/gurgles/backfires whatever you want to call them are absent in Sport Plus mode on the 991.2.

Sport Plus on the .2 is "anti-lag/max performance" mode. PSE has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
It says it all on page 11, but simply put yes the pops/crackles/gurgles/backfires whatever you want to call them are absent in Sport Plus mode on the 991.2.

Sport Plus on the .2 is "anti-lag/max performance" mode. PSE has nothing to do with it.
Too bad Individual mode doesn't give you control over more parameters
Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Individual mode to give me Sport Plus engine mode without putting the shocks in Sport mode.
When I get to the twisty roads I can just flick the dial to S+ and the shocks firm up and I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (06-07-2021)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:49 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jenner
I use Individual mode to give me Sport Plus engine mode without putting the shocks in Sport mode.
When I get to the twisty roads I can just flick the dial to S+ and the shocks firm up and I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
I guess I'll play around with the settings when my car gets here in May. I Would have preferred the pops in Sport plus vs Sport, but it is what it is.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I guess I'll play around with the settings when my car gets here in May. I Would have preferred the pops in Sport plus vs Sport, but it is what it is.
Why would people want the pops only when having less control of the car?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can relate to wanting only "authentic" sounds from the car, but man! The burble snap crackle pop sounds great to me!

I love also the crackling jaguar F types and those new Maseratis sound amazing.

One time I was hustling along the coast with a 74 targa chasing me along Bolinas lagoon and out to Olema, we turned around and hustled back to Stinson and that targa led the way, hippy blanket in the back with a couple of doggies laying down back there, and the sound of that car roaring by the canyon walls with the pops and crackles was a symphony that made me lust for the air cooled gas in the air smelling oldies. I've got a 997 that sings pretty nicely - it was bassier with the FD Sport mufflers before I put the x-pipe and headers on, but even so, it's a sound I appreciate even when I hear it on boxsters and new Carreras- 'fake' or not, it really brings the spirit of Porsche Motorsport and the racey heritage of the brand right front and center for the larger audience, and I think it's fantastic.

I would imagine there could be a way to program or tune those sounds out, and possibly there's a niche market for such a box - but for me, it really is music to the ears.

Whenever I hear it, even if I'm sitting at an outdoor cafe in small town USA I flashback to the sounds of that hotrod targa and also some of my favorite days drinking $10 Modelos trackside as the fog lifted to another amazing day at Laguna Seca.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Why would people want the pops only when having less control of the car?
I'm new to Porsche (although I've been reading and learning her for some time) and to me it seems that Sport Plus has the most aggressive settings for throttle sensitivity, PDK shift points, gear hold time (in off throttle situations) - suspension tune is the same between Sport and Sport Plus - I assume. In other words, it brings out the most performance from the car. This is the mode I would expect to have the most aggressive sounding exhaust system, not in the normal or sport modes. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm new to Porsche (although I've been reading and learning her for some time) and to me it seems that Sport Plus has the most aggressive settings for throttle sensitivity, PDK shift points, gear hold time (in off throttle situations) - suspension tune is the same between Sport and Sport Plus - I assume. In other words, it brings out the most performance from the car. This is the mode I would expect to have the most aggressive sounding exhaust system, not in the normal or sport modes. Just my $0.02 worth.
It would imagine that the fuel burn-off causing the pops causes extra heat in the exhaust which could be detrimental to the catalysts if it continues too long. Since Sport Plus is likely the track setting when the car is being pushed to 100% for prolonged periods, I imagine they dialed it out there to reduce the risk of cat damage during track use. I did manage to overheat the exhaust in a Corvette once upon a time when it was running too rich. The pellets in the cat fused together, clogging the exhaust flow, causing the car to start wheezing and then quickly die. Replacing cats is pricey.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Sport Plus is used a lot on the track and there are a disproportionate number of track/Sport Plus users on this forum. As for the typical Porsche buyer in the general public if the Pops were limited to
Sport Plus it would not be used much. Maybe not even ordered much. Even in these forums there seem to be a lot of people who do not use Sport Plus.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Sport Plus is used a lot on the track and there are a disproportionate number of track/Sport Plus users on this forum. As for the typical Porsche buyer in the general public if the Pops were limited to
Sport Plus it would not be used much. Maybe not even ordered much. Even in these forums there seem to be a lot of people who do not use Sport Plus.
I suppose. I liked the sound of PSE, when I test drove the car, but could do without the option (and the pops). I'm sure PSE would sell just as well without the pops. Anyway, I included on my build as I always seem to (at least partially) keep an eye on resale value an dated SA seems to think it is a sought after option.

Ina similar vein is my indecision on a glass vs solid sliding roof. On the one hand, glass seems to be more popular (for those who choose sunroofs) but on a white car I think a solid roof looks better. The SA is pushing me towards glass, but I have spec'd a solid sliding roof (have until February 3rd to lock the order).
Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I love how PSE sounds, but the fake pops and crackling when lifting off the throttle IMHO are embarrassing. 991's aren't running poorly set-up carbs. It's just about the only thing on the 991 I don't like. There must be a way to program it out -- anyone know?
They're not fake. They're real.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
They're not fake. They're real.
Fake isn't the right word. Artificial? They're a fun bonus for most people, but there's a reason the modern GT cars don't do it.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:53 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Go to about the 1 minute mark:
Old 06-07-2021, 04:36 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I do not have PSE, my car is complete stripper ;-)

I bought a sharkwerks crosspipe that replaces the center muffler and even my stripper of a car started doing the rice krispies snap crackle and pop. My pre-Covid commute involved heavy traffic at low speed near a concrete median that refleted all the noise and I too was very annoyed / embarassed by the teenager hondaboy pops and artificial farts at low speed. Some people a lane over were looking at me like "what was that?"... I removed the X pipe after 3 days and reinstalled the center muffler.. it's definitely built in and not PSE only, and it's very much quieted down by the center muffler. I too wish there was a way to turn that off... I like a loud exhaust if it sounds good (my 1972 911 for example, sounds good, if there's a pop it's the mechanical injection screwing up, for real - a GT3 also sounds "noble") - but this rice krispies $hit sounds like bad EFI tuned by uncle billybob

Last edited by Greg D.; 06-07-2021 at 04:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg D.:
Noah Fect (06-07-2021), the_buch (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 10:55 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

I posted the video of the green 1976 930--there are plenty of other such videos on the internet--to show that the exhaust pops have a history in turbo Porsches--and our 991.2 Carreras are turbo Porshes, although not Turbo Porsches!

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?