Sponsored by:

Now THAT is a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:09 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,385 Likes on 1,539 Posts
Default Now THAT is a stop.

In the Porsche today, headed to Subway for lunch. Doing 50 mph on US HWY 1 (45 zone) and tooling along a Honda CRV pulls out from the US Post Office right in front of me. And he was going in the opposite direction so he was turning in front of me, too. Oh, no! This is going to be ugly.

There was no time to do anything but just totally mash the brakes all the way to the floor. Your mind can work really fast in these scenarios and mine said "GODDAMN IT HE'S GOING TO WRECK MY PORSCHE." And I waited for the airbag deployment, my arm reflexes pushing on the steering wheel...moment of impact as the ABS shuddered like mad.....

Except we didn't collide.

Amazingly, incredibly, the Porsche stopped a scant three feet from his driver's door. I couldn't believe it. From 50 mph to nothing in not-very-far, seemed like just a few feet. Had I been in the Toyota Tundra, which I almost drove today, he'd have been a dead man. Asian guy, he didn't even make eye contact. Jackass. I had the window down and yelled appropriately.

I've always said nothing stops as fast as a 911. That rear engine bias really hauls them down. Its true. What a car....
Old 10-23-2014, 07:12 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I do love our brakes, that's for sure! Love the PCCB's on one of my current DD's, as well.

Glad you're safe!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Good job. And lucky no one rear ended you. Because they can't usually stop as fast.

Subway. Really? Their food sucks.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good job. And lucky no one rear ended you. Because they can't usually stop as fast.

Subway. Really? Their food sucks.
HAHAHAHA
Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Porsche brakes

-1 Subway bread
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,232 Likes on 745 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
+1 Porsche brakes

-1 Subway bread
Agree +1 for Porsche brakes, buy why only -1 for Subway?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

It frustrates me how much my wife and kids love subway. We go there waaaaaay too much.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

QUOTE=drcollie;11747240]

Amazingly, incredibly, the Porsche stopped a scant three feet from his driver's door. I couldn't believe it. From 50 mph to nothing in not-very-far, seemed like just a few feet. Had I been in the Toyota Tundra, which I almost drove today, he'd have been a dead man. Asian guy, he didn't even make eye contact. Jackass. I had the window down and yelled appropriately.

[/QUOTE]

He Doc,

Last time I checked, bad driving and being a jackass is not exclusively an Asian thing.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 PM
chailinchou
Intermediate

Glad to hear that you are all right and making healthy food choices.

A similar incident happened to me today when a Ford suddenly changed lanes and didn't bother to do a shoulder check. I was surprised at how confidently the car braked and maneuvered through the tight opening.

The other driver was White and I'm Asian. Bad drivers AND good drivers having a bad day happen all the time. Making it a race statement is stupid.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by chailinchou
Glad to hear that you are all right and making healthy food choices.

A similar incident happened to me today when a Ford suddenly changed lanes and didn't bother to do a shoulder check. I was surprised at how confidently the car braked and maneuvered through the tight opening.

The other driver was White and I'm Asian. Bad drivers AND good drivers having a bad day happen all the time. Making it a race statement is stupid.

drcollie's post does not seem to have made a race statement; it just stated a fact about that particular driver. It does not contain any generalization or typification.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,385 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Racist, huh? Sorry, don't agree....it's a description, nothing else. If I'd have said "A blonde soccer mom" in the Honda would all the blonde women on forum come out to get me? (one can hope)....

Like one of my good black friends says "It's OK to see color, no matter what I say or do or how many years we hang out together, I'm always going to be black and you're going to see it. That's not racism....what IS racism is if you treat me differently because of it".

I called the guy a "Jackass" out the window. Now if I'd said "***** Jackass", that would have been racist. But I didn't. So get over it.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Pattern recognition is intelligence, not racism.

Anyway I'm going out on a limb drcollie and assume you are running max performance summer tires and not all-season or snows, which if true would be a good thing to point out. In terms of pattern recognition, I mean. There've been times when I've avoided collisions like this by so little I knew if it wasn't for the track pads or tires…. and one time when I did get nicked, not being able to swerve quite enough for the insane left-turner from the right lane, was dry road winter and I knew my summer setup would have been just enough to have saved me. All that stuff we do at the track, it doesn't just help at the track.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,232 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Racist, huh? Sorry, don't agree....it's a description, nothing else. If I'd have said "A blonde soccer mom" in the Honda would all the blonde women on forum come out to get me? (one can hope)....

Like one of my good black friends says "It's OK to see color, no matter what I say or do or how many years we hang out together, I'm always going to be black and you're going to see it. That's not racism....what IS racism is if you treat me differently because of it".

I called the guy a "Jackass" out the window. Now if I'd said "***** Jackass", that would have been racist. But I didn't. So get over it.
I agree that the initial post and comment was not racist and not meant in any way to be racist. However use of the "C" word in the rebuttal is akin to using the "N" word and is offensive and racist (by your own admission) and needs to be removed.

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 10-24-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:40 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I find it best to avoid such terms entirely. After all it is so hard to tell your ****** from your gooks. All look the same to us round eye crackers.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I find it best to avoid such terms entirely. After all it is so hard to tell your ****** from your gooks. All look the same to us round eye crackers.
U r a royal ***.

Quick Reply: Now THAT is a stop.