Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirmation (off-the-record) that 991 GTS will first appear as a late MY2015!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Confirmation (off-the-record) that 991 GTS will first appear as a late MY2015!

I received confirmation (off-the-record) today from a dealer I know well (and trust) that PAG will introduce the 991 GTS as a .1 991 MY2015. He already has received his allocations from PCNA for the new 991 GTS model as a MY2015! So this might not convince all of you...but I am now 'all in' that the first 991 GTS will be a late MY2015 as a .1 (pre-facelift) model! Who would have thunk!

The news 'embargo' on the 991 GTS is still in effect...probably to last until just BEFORE the LA Auto Show! Although I expect some insider (perhaps someone attending the Las Vegas US Porsche dealers meeting in October!) to 'leak' more information on this GTS in the next 30 days, but that is just my speculation...and I have been wrong once or twice before in my predictions!

So the new 991 GTS model will be nothing revolutionary re: the regular .1 991 line-up to date. Sadly, I now don't expect to see the PDK-Sport or Rear Axle Steering from the 991 gt3! And it's expected to follow the .2 997 GTS formula, so it will most likely include:

a) Powerkit
b) Larger rear end of 4S
c) Alcantara Interior option similar to gt3

And it would not surprise me if they allow the 918-type sport bucket seats and Center Locks from the gt3 to be offered also as options.

The one difference from the .2 997 will be the 'Center Mounted Exhaust Tips' that are anticipated to be seen on this 991 GTS edition! See attached photo.

We have had a pretty good discussion on what to expect re: 991 GTS at this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8307...-surprise.html

And lately we even had some colorful language & fireworks too...which I don't mind at all! It makes for a lively exchange!

So shape up people and don't 'miss this f*cking point' - I think we are getting a late arriving MY2015 991 GTS shortly!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,792 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Thanks Eduardo.

Any, ahem, ideas on pricing for the 991.1 GTS?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Anything on the MFSW with paddles for the PDK?
That's all in all kinda disappointing to me unless the package pricing on the X51 as standard is very attractive, since I'm already getting a C4S of some sort. Alcantara and center locks don't do a thing for me.
But thanks for the info!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Thanks Eduardo.

Any, ahem, ideas on pricing for the 991.1 GTS?
I didn't ask. Didn't wanted to push my luck...

Originally Posted by Keadog
Anything on the MFSW with paddles for the PDK?
If you are talking about the 918 or Macan Style multifunction steering wheel with paddles (see photo #1 & 2)...I think we will see those in the facelift .2 MY2016 next Spring! Doubt they'll introduced them at this late date...but you never know.

Originally Posted by Keadog
That's all in all kinda disappointing to me unless the package pricing on the X51 as standard is very attractive, since I'm already getting a C4S of some sort. Alcantara and center locks don't do a thing for me. But thanks for the info!
If we go back to the history of the .2 997 gt2, there was indeed a savings for the 'whole' package with that GTS edition. There will probably be the same type of 'savings' on this late MY2015 991 GTS model! To put it in perspective, let's quote this article from Car & Driver on the first version of the 911 GTS:

"What’s the Cost?
GTS pricing starts at $104,050 for the coupe, $113,850 for the cabrio. A 911 Carrera S coupe starts $12,600 lower and can be optioned up to GTS engine output levels, but that option—the Power kit—will set you back $16,900 alone.

So you’re already coming out ahead if you go the GTS route, with the center-lock wheels, wide-body sheetmetal, and Alcantara interior seemingly tossed in for free. This makes the GTS look almost like a bargain, if the word is even applicable at this price level. But as with any Porsche, caution is recommended when a buyer confronts the order form and the optional equipment. The entire 911 inventory offers hundreds of options, none of them cheap.

As a case in point, you’ll note that the as-tested price of this GTS soars $13,295 beyond the base sticker. Besides the extras already noted, the list includes a nav system ($2110), Bose premium audio ($1440), XM radio ($750), dynamic cornering lights ($690), self-dimming mirrors ($420), heated front seats ($525), and exclusive to this model, clear glass covering the taillights ($610).

Caveat emptor might not have been coined as a caution relative to shopping for vehicle options; still, it does seem to apply here."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...pe-test-review

Alcantara and Center Lock wheels were optional then...and will most likely be optional now. So no worries, Keith!

Finally, another shot (last photo) of the expected 'GTS' exhaust on this late MY2015 model...on a Targa!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Bummer. Was really hoping to be proven wrong on this. But it appears the only thing they're doing different this time is introducing the GTS just before the end of the .1 instead of just before the end of the .2. So same as the last one, a nice performance options package for those who like a wide body and Alcantara.*

Any clues Eduardo on where and when we might be seeing RAS filtering down to the masses?

*Unless I'm mistaken, Alcantara interior on the 997 GTS was standard. Bet its standard on this one, too.

Last edited by chuck911; 09-24-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

"Unless I'm mistaken, Alcantara interior on the 997 GTS was standard. Bet its standard on this one, too."

Actually, alcantara and center lock wheels were both standard on the 997.2GTS. Standard 5-bolt wheels were a no cost option; leather instead of alcantara was also available. I don't recall if leather cost extra. My '11 GTS had Alcantara; my friend's '12 GTS had full leather. We both had center locks.

It does appear that Eduardo's latest info confirms the predictions I've been making, but of course we still don't know any of this for certain.

If all goes well, in a matter of months I'll have a white 991GTS in my garage parked next to my white 970GTS!

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS

Last edited by DMoore; 09-24-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chuck911
Unless I'm mistaken, Alcantara interior on the 997 GTS was standard. Bet its standard on this one, too.
My understanding was that you could delete the Alcantara on the 997 gts and get leather instead. I am sure there are owners of gts on this forum that can address this subject and let us know.

Any clues Eduardo on where and when we might be seeing RAS filtering down to the masses?
Trickle down to the 'masses'? Eventually...but first Al Gore, Leonardo DiCaprio & Robert Kennedy Jr. have to decide who gets what. So far, Rear-Axle-Steering is a subject that doesn't interest them!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2014, 02:34 AM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda disappointed, was hoping for a little more power than just the powerkit as standard. Oh well you win some you lose some.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mrsmitty
Kinda disappointed, was hoping for a little more power than just the powerkit as standard.
PAG might do a little bit better than 430hp on this GTS's powerkit...who knows! That reworked exhaust must have a 'purpose', don't you think? We will find out soon enough.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Yes, the 997 GTS was quoted I believe 403 hp, a few hp more than the X-51 powerkit version, however they did that. Probably more open exhaust, to judge by the sound. Got to admit, even though I do not care for loud exhaust, when I pushed that red button in the parking garage and heard that engine roar to life, there was a surge of "Yes! I want!" Completely countered later on by the most disconcerting handling I've ever experienced from any Porsche, but at the time, what a thrill!

So anyway, I will double-down and predict that RAS will filter down to be an option on the next generation 911S. (And Panamera S. And Cayenne S.) Maybe the .2's. More likely the nex gen. If I'm wrong, its far enough away for everyone to have forgotten. And anyway I can always blame Leo.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:56 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=chuck911;11671794]Yes, the 997 GTS was quoted I believe 403 hp, a few hp more than the X-51 powerkit version, however they did that. Probably more open exhaust, to judge by the sound. [QUOTE]

Actually, the 997.2GTS had the standard X-51 engine, which was good for 408 hp. The GTS version was no different from that available on the S. At the time, the standard S motor was 385 hp. Now, the S engine has 400 hp and the X-51 ups that to 430.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
Old 09-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default The Future is dwarfed by the Present!

So anyway, I will double-down and predict that RAS will filter down to be an option on the next generation 911S. (And Panamera S. And Cayenne S.) Maybe the .2's. More likely the nex gen. If I'm wrong, its far enough away for everyone to have forgotten.
We will not forget. But I already covered that base a while back...below being the most up-to-date prognostications on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I very much doubt it will inherit any of the GT3 components such as PDK-S or RAS but you never know!

"Larry, normally I would agree with you on the 'why' of putting the gt3's PDK-Plus or Rear Axle Steering on the 'lesser' GTS. But here is my thinking. For reasons which are NOT YET CLEAR to any of us 'outsiders', Porsche seems to be making plans to produce LESS 991 gt3's going forward than we & the market expected! The new PDK-S & Rear Axle Steering technology is already developed and needs to be USED to create buzz, great reviews, increase sales numbers, payback on investment, etc. Some of it is already incorporated into the new 911 Turbo. They probably are already developing a more advanced PDK-S & RAS technology for the next generation 911 chassis! So it's USE IT OR LOSE IT (as a marketing & sales advantage). I think they will chose to go with USE IT on the GTS. My dos centavos (again). I think I am up to a nickel's worth of speculation now!"

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8298...l#post11589287

"I don't buy the LA Auto Show announcement hype, period. End of story.

a) Why on earth would PAG release a MY2015 gts when the facelift will appear by spring of next year and the gts will be an important future product in the lineup!

b)And why would PAG reveal the facelift .2 991 (or as some are calling it - the 992) in early November when their dealers world-wide have the task of selling pre-face lift MY2015 .1 991's for the next 9 months? That would be downright stupid!

So I have my doubts.

Here is my take on this subject. I think something is brewing at PAG right now. And we don't yet know the whole story. They seem to be phasing out the .1 991 gt3. And the .1 991 gt3 RS is supposed to be announced soon...but in very limited quantities. I have a theory on all of this. I goes as follows. For reasons we don't yet quite know (could be related to the gt3 engine), PAG will transfer some of the technology developed for the 991 gt3 into a more mainstream 911 model! That model will be the new 991 'gts'. It will have 'rear axle steering'. That is key! It will have a stronger engine than the x51 option. In effect, it will be a sort-of-sequal to the base 991 gt3 ...but in a more mainstream product call the '991 gts' and with a more reliable motor! This will be an important product for PAG and will raise the bar for the standard 991 product line. It makes no sense for them to do this special 'gts' model on the pre-face lift .1 MY2015 model with the limited time remaining between November and June of next year. This would only make sense as a .2 991 post-face lift model, coming out early in calendar year 2015 as a MY2016. That is what my crystal ball says. And I was raised by Romani Gypsies...so that is all I can say at the moment. But I have been wrong before. My wife reminds me of that everyday. And I could be wrong again. So stay tune..."

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/833909-gts-2015-a.html

Wrong again! So here is the bottom line. My crystal ball is cracked. And I just looked at my birth certificate and for parents it actually states 'Roman Midgets'! I thought it read 'Romani Gypsies' and thus I conjured up this nonsense of having the ability to gaze into Porsche's future! Frankly, when it comes to PAG, I obviously know nothing! Rear-Axle-Steering & PDK Sport will filtered down eventually...we just don't know when and into what models.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2014, 05:08 AM
chuck911
Race Car

I was thinking your mom would be taller? Anyway I think I see the problem. She was using one of the early model Teachers.
Wait for it… wait for it… okay, at :56
Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Thanks, Eduardo. Yes, that steering wheel. They need to ditch those stupid buttons ASAP.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

What's on the steering column?

Quick Reply: Confirmation (off-the-record) that 991 GTS will first appear as a late MY2015!