Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:59 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Here's a pro-tip -- I sure as hell don't get women by acting like one.
Again, I'll stand by Wally Shawn...

Last edited by 1analguy; 08-04-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boring, compared to a 996 GT3 - which a lot of the adrenaline junkies prefer. That and maybe a 3.9 conversion from Sharky.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM
wormman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Its a bespoke kit car so gets a tubular frame chassis with GRP body & ford V6 turbo engine getrag g/box... Noble is a great track toy. Rossion got the licence from discontinued Noble M400, an engine makeover and electric windows & comfort interior - very odd car!
The Rossion is not a car that you assemble. It comes fully built and ready to run. It is not like a Factory Five for example. It is a hand built tube frame chassis with a mid engine twin turbo ford 3.0 liter. Mine makes 530 HP and 500 ft lbs, Torque. Car has a curb weight of 2650 lbs. It has creature comforts like A/C, navigation, electric windows and is a very comfortable car to drive considering it is an exotic. It cheap to service and cheap to insure. For 100K given it can keep up with cars costing 250K+ I think it is a bargain. I have never had so many complements and thumbs up on any other car I have ever owned. It's not for everyone but it sure is for me! I still like Porsches but I think, with the exception of the GT3, the 911's have evolved into more of a GT cruiser than sports car and are a bit common. IMHO.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Mosbrn78108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

To everyone, this is my opinion ONLY. The Nurburgring while a great track is that a track and subject to driver skill. Heck I've seen double decker buses on it. I have quite a few laps on Nurburgring and a few track days on the Bugatti Circuit at Le Mans.

I currently own a 991 3.4l, PDK and a BMW E92 M3 DCT, both are fantastic cars, BUT, I'm currently selling the M3 as I find the 991 exceptional.

While I find the OP statements interesting, such as the autobahn hides a cars faults, I've found that to be the opposite, at unlimited speeds (except for my lack of cajones at 170+mph), the autobahn rings out the car and driver capabilities.

If you drive the autobahn at 130KPH (80ish MPH), then even a yugo would seem capable.

Mike
Old 10-05-2014, 02:37 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Nope. She loves the 991 and thinks there's something wrong with me for not liking it as much as she does. The fact I let her drive the car in the first place actually demonstrates how little I care for it
Maybe she has better taste in cars than.... Actually, she looks good and I'd let her drive any of my 911s.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:55 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mosbrn78108
To everyone, this is my opinion ONLY. The Nurburgring while a great track is that a track and subject to driver skill. Heck I've seen double decker buses on it. I have quite a few laps on Nurburgring and a few track days on the Bugatti Circuit at Le Mans.

I currently own a 991 3.4l, PDK and a BMW E92 M3 DCT, both are fantastic cars, BUT, I'm currently selling the M3 as I find the 991 exceptional.

While I find the OP statements interesting, such as the autobahn hides a cars faults, I've found that to be the opposite, at unlimited speeds (except for my lack of cajones at 170+mph), the autobahn rings out the car and driver capabilities.

If you drive the autobahn at 130KPH (80ish MPH), then even a yugo would seem capable.

Mike
I think you're misinterpreting what I meant but let me clarify. The 991 is fantastic on the autobahn. I was attempting to point out that the autobahn hides the fact that at low speeds the car is relatively boring. If you pretty much only drive the 991 on no-speed limit autobahn I think it's gonna be hard to ever find a complaint.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:57 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Mike
Thanks for bumping this important thread.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Mike
E92 M3 is a worthless piece of crap on either the Ring or Spa IMO ... its way too heavy compared to a 911, its brakes are worthless after a lap or two at speed, and the traction control is too intrusive ... DCT is adequate at best, and who needs a couple of motorized 'plastic coat hangers' to help you put your seatbelt on ... if the car lost 500lbs and got some decent brakes and TC it could be a contender.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djlynch
Agreed!
+1
Old 10-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Is anyone collecting these? That way at the end of the year we could have a run-off vote on who started the most idiotic troll thread.

In the category of most clueless driver, the nominees are….

And in the category of dropping the most super car references while feigning blasé ennui bordering on disdain for everything real enthusiasts admire the winner is…

We'll be right back after the break with Special Guest Jeremy Clarkson introducing the nominees for most inept automotive sexual metaphors!
+1
Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, just came upon this flaming pile of posts. Looks like the charred remains of the King Fire in NorCal.

I just have two things to add:

Rally racing a Subaru WRX is much more 'involving' than tracking a road car. This is one stout, wicked, precise machine when properly prepped and shod with the right rally suspension. You have to file a flight plan for some of the stuff we do.

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slowly.

That is where the OP was going when this flabalanche of pithy trashtalk about everyone's mom and being around when somebody was a pepperoni on someone else's dad's pizza all started ....
Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slowly.
+1

Newer generation cars are made to be docile below 4000 rpm so that they are easy to live with and very driveable for everyone. My 964 is certainly more fun & lively to drive at the lower end of the RPM range but once that 4-5000 threshold is reached then you know who the daddy is.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Mosbrn78108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Larry, the M3 while heavy is a capable car. I've driven quite a few laps before I've experienced brake fade and pulled off. Is the car bloated?--YES but while different from the 991 is still fun.

That said I LOVE the 991 BUT the M3 can fit 4 adults, luggage and my golf bag, so different car that are both fun
Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

@Larry, the M3 while heavy is a capable car. I've driven quite a few laps before I've experienced brake fade and pulled off. Is the car bloated?--YES but while different from the 991 is still fun.

That said I LOVE the 991 BUT the M3 can fit 4 adults, luggage and my golf bag, so different car that are both fun
its all a matter of degree ... stock E92 M3 hasn't a hope of keeping up with a 997 GT3 ... IMO ... different horses for courses.

Last M3 that I had any regard for was the E46 ... its been steadily downhill since then...
Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be the first to confess porsche is not perfect, but it certainly exceeds my expectations and beyond. the quirks they have make them what they are and create such a cult following. performance, exclusivity and price made them extremely reasonable and likely top of the list.

ferrari, lambo and mclaren, sure, they're something to reckon with, but at significantly more than (most) porsches less the 918. now, that's something to kill any boredom - the 918. even the opening comment writer...

posting distaste for porsches on a porsche dedicated site it either bold or completely foolish. i choose the later...

long live the carrera!

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore