Sponsored by:

To lift or not to lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
Would you order it if it were a no cost option? There's your answer. Can't afford it, there's your answer.
I think is more the case of cost vs benefit. Many do not want to buy something if they don't think that benefit justifies the cost. Nothing to do with if they can afford it. I would take the painted key if was free, but I'm not willing to pay $395 for it.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I debated the lift for a while but ultimately passed as I think the 3500 is too expensive. I also tend to keep my cars past the warranty period and fear this will be an expensive fix if it goes bad. I am not sure on the reliability of the system. Lastly, I think someone posted approach angle data somewhere comparing the 991 GT3 to the 997 GT3 and the 991 version was better. I know they reduced the overhangs on the 991 version compared to the 997 version so that is likely the difference. Although everyone who has the lift swears by it, I have yet to read that anyone who doesn't have it regret not ordering it. For $3500 I decided to take my chances.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
I think is more the case of cost vs benefit. Many do not want to buy something if they don't think that benefit justifies the cost. Nothing to do with if they can afford it. I would take the painted key if was free, but I'm not willing to pay $395 for it.
Exactly. Affording it has nothing to do with it for me. It's a matter of perceived value in my eyes. I will find out if I'm wrong soon enough.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

the lift is cool! if you forget to lower the car it will automatically release pressure around 30mph and lower itself and it makes this cool whhhoooosh sound, so I feel like Im in the fast and furious!!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Someone said the front spoiler is very flexible on the 991 GT3. The lip was pliable on the 997 GT3s, but the 991 spoiler appears to have less give to it.

For me, I won't be able to get in my driveway without it. And you'll need it if you come visit me. Now, if I never invite you over, no problem, as my driveway is unique and you'll never have a problem anywhere else..../s
Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
i know this has been discussed in part in other threads but since I may need to make a final decision in the next week or so i would like the final consenses on this. I an trying to keep the final price down so I am not going with extra leather- carbon fiber, the PCCB, etc. The car will be an occassional drive to work, weekend fun car and occassion track day car. Thanks for your insights.
Order my 2015 with it I had a 2010 GT3 without it had to many scrapping/plowing incidence.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:50 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW - I ordered it. If I thought potential damage could be limited to an easily-replaceable $250 lip I wouldn't have bothered, but the potential for damage to the main bumper cover is definitely there if you find yourself stuck in a nasty unplanned situation. Also at least in Europe, hotel parking ramps etc can be pretty steep - a consideration when travelling for track events.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you forgot to press the button to lift it up when you need to? I ordered it but I was thinking it won't automatically lift the car up when under 30 mph so if I forget then it will not be useful afterall.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AWW100
What if you forgot to press the button to lift it up when you need to? I ordered it but I was thinking it won't automatically lift the car up when under 30 mph so if I forget then it will not be useful afterall.
it lifts very fast, like in 5 seconds, but you do have to remember to push the button
Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Gofast47
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't bother with ordering the lift. In my 997 GT3 when driving hard on bumpy roads the front scraps, so the lift option wouldn't help anyway. I replace the front splitter and get the bumper painted every 2 years.
I'd still have to do this even with the lift to keep the car mint. Save the money and weight, no brainer!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Some data for those interested:

First, a comparison of 991GT3 vs previous generation GTs. Approach angle is the interesting one really. It appears the 991 is marginally better than previous generations.

..for comparison purposes, 997 GT vs regular models:

The regular models can handle ramps of around twice the angle..
Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that I would be more interested in the lift if it went up about 3". It only goes up what, a little over an inch? So about even with other sports cars with low ground clearance that tend to scrape. Plus the only time I have damaged spoilers on previous sports cars is when
I ran over something in the middle of the road going about 70 mph. Lift is of no use in those situations.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The feeling is worst if I scrape it because I forgot to press the button and after spending 3.5K. Ouch!! I can see that coming.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:04 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

My school trigonometry thinks that 30mm lift at the front axle would give you 42mm at the front lip, and increase the approach angle to 8.11 degs from 5.8... It'd be interesting if someone who had it measured it..
Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
I too have driven lowered cars for several years and I live in Florida with a perfectly flat driveway. Twice I found myself in a situation where I could not escape severe front splitter damage. In one of those situations I entered a single car width tunnel with traffic behind me, at the bottom was a significant dip as the entrance and exit potions met at an iron grate. I could not reverse out due to cars already in the tunnel behind me. In my ZR1 it cost me an $1800 US splitter, in the GT3 I fear it may have damaged not just the lip but also the front bumper as it would have pushed the lip rearwards and twisted it down and under the car.

The second situation was similar, I navigated into a large venue avoiding any scraping. When I departed, traffic was being tightly controlled and I was forced to leave via a narrow exit with a bad dip into a rise. This scrape was visible on the front of the splitter, likely due to some loose asphalt. In the GT3 I could have replaced the lip for a few $$, I lived with it on the ZR1.

The ZR1 was also right at the limit of my enclosed trailer. My trailer has 12' of approach ramp and over 6' of dovetail. The ZR1 rubbed a bit on entry. With some forums supplied measurements the GT3 would have required some extra planks and a bit of careful manipulation to load.

Combined with a few other difficult entries and exits while owning that car, I decided to go with the lift.

Ryan
Originally Posted by AWW100
It's not a perfect solution. There will be times when you forget to use the lift or come across a situation where it won't help. But the scenarios Ryan points out above are perfect examples of why it's useful. I pulled off on the side of the road shortly after I got the car to take pictures. When I went to re-enter the roadway I realized that the profile of the pavement was significantly higher than the dirt surface. I literally could not have gotten back on the road without doing severe damage to the car without the lift.

The fact that you can drive for a year and never use the lift doesn't mean that tomorrow you won't find yourself in a circumstance like Ryan or I did. Some people pay insurance bills for years and never file a claim. Doesn't mean you shouldn't carry insurance. The lift is insurance against some, not all, situations. The fact that I use the lift every time I drive the car aside, if nothing else the cost was worth the peace of mind to me. To the OP, if it's not worth it to you, save your $3500.

FWIW, different people are willing to accept different degrees of risk which is one reason why I think there is such disagreement on this issue.

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
it lifts very fast, like in 5 seconds, but you do have to remember to push the button
The lift raises to full height in less than 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: To lift or not to lift