issues encountered with your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a known squeak on earlier cars
If you fold a piece of cardboard, like a match cover, and stick it between the panel and door it goes away....
Old 08-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Gabe Newell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Squealing (minor) while turning with more vibration when axle lift is active.

Fair amount of blue smoke intermittently on start up.

Got tricked into adding oil by the oil sensor and now it warns me the oil level is too high but ok to drive on (I was worried about the blue smoke).
Old 08-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabe Newell
Squealing (minor) while turning with more vibration when axle lift is active.
This is actually mentioned in the manual. IIRC, it states that due to changed suspension geometry with the lift up, noise from the front suspension while turning can be expected.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Kain
Advanced

Are all these issues on brand-new cars considered normal for a Porsche? I thought they were well-built and reliable cars.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
This is a known squeak on earlier cars
If you fold a piece of cardboard, like a match cover, and stick it between the panel and door it goes away....
Earlier cars. Mine is early but the other posters is just delivered IIRC.

Could you forward me the dealer bulletin on this please?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:04 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Interesting. I have a little over 1,000 miles and I've added a litre or so.
In my experience, all Porsche engines burn a little for the first 1500 - 2000 miles (10 - 12 oz) then they burn very little - typically I change the oil at 2000 - 2500 and it seems to stop using oil, maybe 6 oz over the next 3000 miles. I substituted a Turbo S for a GT3 during the engine problems, and I ran it hard a the track after putting 2500 miles on it, and it hasn't burned any more oil. Just put the GT3 back on order - that's a totally different engine but I would expect similar results. The Turbo is consistent with two Metzger engined cars I had before the Turbo as well. Every car is probably a little different, the Metzger sometimes smoked on startup - gas?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Earlier cars. Mine is early but the other posters is just delivered IIRC.

Could you forward me the dealer bulletin on this please?
Very funny
Obviously a temp fix until you get to dealer.
I would have thought Porsche had it sorted by now..

BTW, good job on the GT3 compensation...........
Old 08-23-2014, 05:07 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain
Are all these issues on brand-new cars considered normal for a Porsche? I thought they were well-built and reliable cars.
No, they are not. Not sure if you are just trolling; if you are not, I would recommend some basic research/reading before your next post.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Originally Posted by the-missile
I open this thread coz I am probably not alone which is facing some minor issues.

listing of the small issues:
- this is the second time that I have a notification on the screen to tell me that "lifting system error"
I brought it back to PC, they checked, and told me we tranferred the error code to technical department, we don't see any problem in the system

-sport exhaust valve, I pressed the button, sometimes it worked, sometime no, sometime partial extra noise
they changed the two rubber pipe linked to the valves as they were small cracks which probably brought a lost of pressure.

-scratch in the driver window after the first opening, I found a small stone (how lucky I am ), internal side, they replaced it immediately but they ensured me that it was OK in PDI...

-noise at the back like a screwdriver is touching the back pane when cruising on the road, very disappointing noise.
they adjusted the small black rubber pad of the wing base

-other noise at the back, they fixed the clips on the rear piece located just underneath the rear pane.

So far everything is OK...1 week experience only and around 800kms now
Soon, I will need to refill the oil as it is already 2 blocks down

looking to hear from you guys!
I'm having some of the same issues. Today the sports exhaust did not work. Turned it on and off. So I will probably take it to get it fixed. Could it be that rubber dried up due to the car staying at port so long?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:01 PM
918man
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
While we are on this topic my only "issue" over the first 9 months has been a "squeak" in the passenger side door (driver side for USA). The speaker in that door seems to vibrate/rattle also at volume. I suspect the two are related but I havent had the techs look at it yet. Otherwise with teh new engine just fine the silly electronic oil measure thing is finicky...
I have the same distortion. Radio and bass up seem to cause the door to rattle. Sounds like a bad speaker but i think its something in door rattling. Going back to delaer after a week of ownership. Happened on my drive home from dealer.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:13 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 918man
I have the same distortion. Radio and bass up seem to cause the door to rattle. Sounds like a bad speaker but i think its something in door rattling. Going back to delaer after a week of ownership. Happened on my drive home from dealer.
I have the same as well. Putting gentle pressure on the speaker grill with one's hand eliminates it, which tells me the grill need to be cushioned or more tightly set. I may try to pry them out and see if I can place a thin weather stripping to stop the vibration.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are great things to learn before I pick up my car. I'll have the dealer check the speaker before I pick it up. Thanks all.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I picked the car with a full tank of gas. 300 miles later my fuel gauge shows I still have 1/2 tank of gas left. So I began to wonder whether I was driving Prius or GT3. Pulled into a gas station and filled it. It took 16.2 gals. Capacity is 16.9. Clearly my gauge is off and now I wonder about my other gauges as well. Replacing the engine could affect the accuracy of the gauges.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I picked the car with a full tank of gas. 300 miles later my fuel gauge shows I still have 1/2 tank of gas left. So I began to wonder whether I was driving Prius or GT3. Pulled into a gas station and filled it. It took 16.2 gals. Capacity is 16.9. Clearly my gauge is off and now I wonder about my other gauges as well. Replacing the engine could affect the accuracy of the gauges.
I assume you do not have the larger 23 gallon tank, correct? The low fuel light should have come on if you were that low. If you don't have the large tank, then your gauge may be off. If you do, the gauge sucks and that is, dare I say, normal. After I fill up, it does not start to move at all until after I have driven 80-100 miles!! Once at 2/4 level, it moves a lot faster.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Nick, the fuel gauge does go down very slowly for the first half of it's travel. I'm guessing it has to do with the shape of the 23.7 gallon fuel tank. A much better indicator for remaining fuel is the range reading in the trip computer. BTW I experienced the same phenomenon with the first engine; it has nothing to do with your other gauges or the possibility that they might be off after the engine replacement.

Quick Reply: issues encountered with your GT3