Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
So the car is already being auctioned? Can you clarify your comments?
Same. How can they be auctioning the car if they haven't settled with the owner? He still owns the car and the insurance company doesn't have legal standing to sell the car.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Same. How can they be auctioning the car if they haven't settled with the owner? He still owns the car and the insurance company doesn't have legal standing to sell the car.
Wondering the same thing. Story getting even more interesting!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:05 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

its a dealer owner thing i got a screen shot of - not public.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Still, if the car is being advertised and I'm the OP, I'd go ballistic at this point. My patience would be done and I'd have lawyers on the clock.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:20 PM
dcsa03996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
You may have misunderstood my point. This instance, pure shop stupidity.
But, wrecks will happen. He could have been going speed limit through intersection and a DUI fker t-bones him.
Point is, drive car on street, wrecks happen.

In this case, it's a wreck. Separate the stupidity and emotion out of it. That's all it is. And nobody got hurt. And no stupidity shouldn't happen, but it DOES. The coulda woulda shoulda doesn't matter post fact of the event.

Irrelevant.

Maybe, but that's a negotiation with the insurance company and for DV depending state the OP will need to get / hire an independent adjuster to determine value pre and post fix (assuming it can be fixed)

I suspect some pressure is needed on YOUR insurance company to pay up. It's irrelevant to YOU what the shop did, has, didn't do, or insurance. That is for them to work out with your insurance company.

So light a fire on your insurance company to get an adjuster to get the car, inspect it, get an estimate, decide if they repair or total, etc...

If its me, I fight for a total, check for current market + taxes paid. Move on. And yes, the situation sucks.
Reasonable and well said. Glad to see someone with reasonable input not looking for a scalp or hanging without knowing facts.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 AM
dcsa03996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The lack of respect for the clients is obvious and a shame. The only authority given to the shop owner was to install upgrades.
Reminds me of a story of a shop in PA that took a GT3 to Subway. Nothing happened but the owner of the car saw it coincidentally and after picking up his car noticed additional miles.
Shop owner was clueless why he was upset!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:05 AM
ODK
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point unfortunately op needs to hire a lawyer. A few years back I went to a very nice Los Angeles restaurant, I parked my 280sl with the Valet. Came out and the valet informed me my car had been stolen. So basically my insurance company said I had a contract with the valet company...valet says the back of the ticket absolves them...restaurant says it has a contract with valet company. After about 10 days of finger pointing and no clear path to getting situation resolved, I hired a lawyer who promptly sued all three (valet, restaurant and my Ins co) It took about a week but the three split the cost and paid me what I thought was replacement value...lawyer was about 3K and totally worth it. I have greatly condensed this story but the bottom line is I was getting absolutely nowhere on my own...
Old 03-25-2017, 07:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

What a thread! Particularly surprised by entries suggesting that most shops molest customer cars on joyrides and that this is something to be expected.

Hope the OP already got a check for a full replacement and is looking for a new RS now, or maybe a new manual .2 GT3 (aka Winged R) + $100k change in his pocket.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Would not surprise me if insurance co is shopping it to get salvage value established or with any luck there is no fight in them and a check will be in my hands soon enough. My lawyer as talked to them numerous times in last few days and they sound like they are going to total as I stated and now have sworn up and down to have this done next week. I do have a lawyer (someone mentioned this earlier) and we have held off on threats and tough letters until we get an answer we don't like (haven't gotten that yet) but we have been in discussions. I've tried to stay disciplined on the lawyer every time you talk its $500 to have them tell you this will take some time. My Diminished value expert told me this would take a month to resolve and not to get itchy and save the fight for the value argument. I'm sticking to that. I have a general idea of where salvage value is going to come out, so the question is the repair bill plus DM value. The post on identifying glitter on the seats was hysterical, this board has been awesome. BTW someone mentioned something about the owner of the shop and an NDA, I offered that day 1, day 5 and day 10. That's the way I would have handled if it was my business and I serviced peoples expensive assets and was completely negligent with them (gotta admit when you screw up materially) When you add up the math, his deal wasn't that bad, pay me cash replacement (big check for 30 days), take possession of the car, get the damage bill plus sell into salvage and you are probably short $70K-100K assuming car was totaled (which it will be) I'd have bought the downside risk out of this trade for $70-$100k.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the update Ccapx.

Not surprised you offered him a quick resolution that would have been, by now, all water under the bridge, and he was too ignorant to see the true value in that.

Best of luck with an outcome in which are happy.

Eddie
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Highly doubt the shop owner could just cut a big check like that. Additionally he would be admitting guilt even though it is pretty obvious what happened here as the car didn't crash itself. The law makes honest people into idiots over fear of frivolous lawsuits. This is true on both sides...
Old 04-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

So did the insurance come through or will you need to get the lawyer involved?
Old 04-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccapx
Waiting.....insurance is dragging. Two layers have suggested total, third layer above is in drag mode. The good news is the word total is being bandied about. Bad news is how long it takes to determine than what the fight is for value. Oh and the nuclear option of suing everyone.
When my 4 week old 2008 Cayman S was hit it took days and days for the other driver's insurance company to finally total the car.

My body shop buddy in 5 minutes of looking at the car had the repair estimate up to within a $5K of what I paid for the car and said it would be totaled.

A Porsche salesman I showed a picture to of the car declared it would a total loss.

Finally an "exotic auto adjuster" showed up and afterwards I got the letter informing me the car would be declared a total loss.

Then I had to wait for the money.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Dragging

Shop insurer dragging and making excuses. They have until Monday then will treat non response as a denial of claim. Will then sue them, Sue shop for negligence and likely move the car to get a more thorough estimate for my insurance to total. Typical insurance co BS.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccapx
Shop insurer dragging and making excuses. They have until Monday then will treat non response as a denial of claim. Will then sue them, Sue shop for negligence and likely move the car to get a more thorough estimate for my insurance to total. Typical insurance co BS.
Crikey....

What a PIA!

You have been amazingly patient throughout this entire episode!

Now go get'em!

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop