Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I’ve been involved in product development and commercialization for many years. I’ve had products undergo significant amounts of engineering testing, passed with flying colors, yet showed problems early on when released to customers, and the initial assessment of those failures turned out to be wrong. It doesn’t take any dark conspiracy theories to understand how that can happen.

Test prototypes are rarely built with the exact same processes, tooling, people and parts supply chain as the final production units. It’s entirely possible that Porsche had great confidence based on extensive in-house testing, so when one or two early prototypes showed some flaw that was inconsistent with all prior testing Porsche chalked it up to ham fisted driving, a statistical outlier, or any one of a million factors they believed would not be applicable to regular production units. Then when the problem reappeared they realized their initial assessment was wrong and instituted this stop sale. No one is suggesting any corporate conspiracies, just the kind of stuff that happens in the real world, even to companies with the best of intentions.
I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so please correct me if I'm missing something, but I don't see what the basis is for your conjecture other than that it could have happened. (The forum story about the "journalists" who tested the car, had it fail on them, and never reported their test results is without credibility.) However, you're right, the scenario you lay out is possible.

OTOH, it's just as possible that, as I've been told, no flaws of the type which caused the two fires ever showed themselves in testing, and as been suggested by other Porsche sources, the failure was due solely to a subsequent problem in the supply chain or tooling.

We each get to choose what we believe.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so please correct me if I'm missing something, but I don't see what the basis is for your conjecture other than that it could have happened. (The forum story about the "journalists" who tested the car, had it fail on them, and never reported their test results is without credibility.) However, you're right, the scenario you lay out is possible.

OTOH, it's just as possible that, as I've been told, no flaws of the type which caused the two fires ever showed themselves in testing, and as been suggested by other Porsche sources, the failure was due solely to a subsequent problem in the supply chain or tooling.

We each get to choose what we believe.
I'm sorry I don't buy it. If there was a failure that was seen by journalists it would have been reported and posted all over the internet.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
I'm sorry I don't buy it. If there was a failure that was seen by journalists it would have been reported and posted all over the internet.
Journalists depend on "free rides" to write about. If they don't get cars, they can't write. Porsche, or any other manufacturer, will not supply cars to journalists that write negative material, especially about catastrophic failures. Most likely, when they are given a car to review they sign something about ".... Preproduction car... And will not write about ... Negative events..." Let's face it, journalists are another form of paid advertisement; the manufactures pay for it and control it. I believe they also have the ability to shut down negative threads.... These forums run off marketing dollars too.... I know one specific forum that has cut me off for calling out one of their sponsors. It's very unfortunate, but it's the world we live in. I have not had any negative experience like this with RL, just to be clear.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by az audi
Journalists depend on "free rides" to write about. If they don't get cars, they can't write. Porsche, or any other manufacturer, will not supply cars to journalists that write negative material, especially about catastrophic failures. Most likely, when they are given a car to review they sign something about ".... Preproduction car... And will not write about ... Negative events..." Let's face it, journalists are another form of paid advertisement; the manufactures pay for it and control it. I believe they also have the ability to shut down negative threads.... These forums run off marketing dollars too.... I know one specific forum that has cut me off for calling out one of their sponsors. It's very unfortunate, but it's the world we live in. I have not had any negative experience like this with RL, just to be clear.
BS alert.

Journo's will gloss over small stuff (Ferrari setting up cars for journo tests) but will not ignore big stuff (engine failure, smoke, fire)

Its the internet age. Not possible to bury such events like in the past.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Idealys
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a spontaneous call from my dealer. Doesn't look good as he said that even if a fix was close to final, implementation would take a while ( between production / shipping/ plus installation). He didn't specify what it was but definitely sounded like engine change, also didn't sounded as if he knew when the fix would be finalized. He therefore offer a full refund for my car.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Where are u located?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Idealys
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Where are u located?
Middle eats
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Arth
Racer

Originally Posted by Idealys
Middle eats
Your in Qatar? Not so sure the dealers here in Dubai would give our money back. In fact I doubt it.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Idealys
Track Day

Originally Posted by Arth
Your in Qatar? Not so sure the dealers here in Dubai would give our money back. In fact I doubt it.
I think we have the same type of dealer in Qatar than UAE. I would guess if he offered it is because he was instructed to and not by kindness. Just to clarify I don't get to keep the car. Once it is fixed if ever I get the option to buy it back (price to TBD). @ the end I am sure he is made whole by Germany. So for him there is no cost. Actually he off course recommend the turbo s so it is only upside for him
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 AM
MikeOHara
AutoX

Hi everyone,

Been following this thread for a while now however haven't posted as I'm a Porsche newbie. Here's my story:

Ordered my 991 GT3 in June 2013 in Dubai and was told my car would go into production in December which got pushed to January. It rolled of the line on the 17th oh January.

Needless to say my car has been sitting in a warehouse in Dubai along with 7 GT3's which were on the same ship since the last week of Feb.

I've already made a 20% down payment on the car and Porsche ME have offered me a refund or the option to purchase any other model.

I contacted them today and there has been no update however i just got off the phone with PAG and they told me that they were going to send an update to the dealers today and if i don't hear anything to contact them tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOHara
Hi everyone, Been following this thread for a while now however haven't posted as I'm a Porsche newbie. Here's my story: Ordered my 991 GT3 in June 2013 in Dubai and was told my car would go into production in December which got pushed to January. It rolled of the line on the 17th oh January. Needless to say my car has been sitting in a warehouse in Dubai along with 7 GT3's which were on the same ship since the last week of Feb. I've already made a 20% down payment on the car and Porsche ME have offered me a refund or the option to purchase any other model. I contacted them today and there has been no update however i just got off the phone with PAG and they told me that they were going to send an update to the dealers today and if i don't hear anything to contact them tomorrow.
Excellent! Thanks for the update
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Arth
Racer

Hi everyone, Been following this thread for a while now however haven't posted as I'm a Porsche newbie. Here's my story: Ordered my 991 GT3 in June 2013 in Dubai and was told my car would go into production in December which got pushed to January. It rolled of the line on the 17th oh January. Needless to say my car has been sitting in a warehouse in Dubai along with 7 GT3's which were on the same ship since the last week of Feb. I've already made a 20% down payment on the car and Porsche ME have offered me a refund or the option to purchase any other model. I contacted them today and there has been no update however i just got off the phone with PAG and they told me that they were going to send an update to the dealers today and if i don't hear anything to contact them tomorrow.
Hi mike,

Did they call or did you ask? If so who called?

Or who, did you speak with if you don't mind me asking?

Just would like to know who to contact once the update arrives today. Thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Idealys
Track Day

I wonder if my dealer jumped the gun or got the update and this is why he called me
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 AM
MikeOHara
AutoX

Hi Arth,

I called and had a chat with my sales guy. I reckon it best if we contact the Brand manager in Al Nabooda tomorrow or call PAG directly in the next few hours as i doubt we'll get anything from Nabooda today due to the timezone difference. I plan on calling PAG within the next 3 hours myself as I'm tired of waiting.

I'll post an update here as soon as i get any info.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Arth
Racer

Hi Arth, I called and had a chat with my sales guy. I reckon it best if we contact the Brand manager in Al Nabooda tomorrow or call PAG directly in the next few hours as i doubt we'll get anything from Nabooda today due to the timezone difference. I plan on calling PAG within the next 3 hours myself as I'm tired of waiting. I'll post an update here as soon as i get any info. Cheers
Thanks mike. Much appreciated.

Please do post if you get an update.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?