Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on a 3.8 RS inspired 964 - development journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
thanks Frank. Your detailing/molesting thread tilted me to the 64 originally ...
(need to look that up before my first concourse next month ) ...
Cheers

Concourse - bah they look best covered in dead bugs after a track session/ good beating!

and your interior sure makes black look like an allround winner - easier to clean/care free, slick, racey, easy matching etc...
Cheers tho black is somber! And hot in the summer (when out of rainy England )!
I had linen in a past red C4 and that was so pleasant! Always thought cream/ linen leather Recaros would look awesome....

Ah, late 80s style ... not
Ps. what's wrong with the 80s?
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

lol - yes thought about that too ie recover the rec's - could be the route!
will dig out the photo shop later
Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM
HiWind
Race Car

here's possibly the worst photoshop on RL lol

but 1. I ran into a cheap set of 16in (7/8J - ie for 205/225 rubber) Fuchs today ... might take em and repaint the spokes

2. and here's the gt3 recaros 'recolored' in beige per Franks post above ... pretty sure they'd look better even if covered in monkey **** brown lol
which is a relief

Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
HiWind
Race Car

sadly the fuchs had turbo offsets - stuck out the sides - the search continues ...

Last edited by HiWind; 11-09-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM
HiWind
Race Car

weekend plans ... a box arrived
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 PM
HiWind
Race Car

well this thread is as good a place as any to keep track of what I've done and when

today I decided to take Gus on his word - 1.5hrs to renew the tail lights with his super kit.
Now being a novice I took that to mean 2 hrs for me .... lol
Scope creep arrived within minutes and as you'll see below, lots of cleaning to be done first.
Attached Images      
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM
HiWind
Race Car

... zoom of the right side centre lens bracket
with some peeled paint and some baby rust .. shd be sorted in the am (before Monza starts! raying

ps - what does that aluminium foil piece do? Protect light from heat of the centre muffler?
Is it normal to remove or are there any clever fixes/improvements for it?
Thinking of just covering it with another sitcky piece of aluminium foil (used for aircons etc..)

Anyway, once thats done I can put these back in ... redone back lights (Gus' Vinyl solution)
.. ... part 2
.. ... part 3 - done!

Good news is the new version of that waxy oil is clear so all shd be perfect and white despite its covering .. soon
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2013, 03:30 PM
HiWind
Race Car

all done - quite happy with my first bit of body work and rust prevention.
Also quite pleased with Gus' refresher kit and how the lights (the original task)
look now - much prefer the darker red especially against the white.

Think I'll replace the foil lining under the light soon - will take off the bumper next weekend to look into it properly.

For now, just happy to get an afternoon blast in either side of Monza
... and a nice clean feeling knowing all that gunk isn't resting in the back
Attached Images      
Old 09-08-2013, 03:32 PM
HiWind
Race Car

shining GP white
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
HiWind
Race Car

keeping the picture journal going .. thanks CupCar, Vandit, Robt for great pics and guidance.

A guy at the track who takes car of all the F1 and race cars in this collection of epic cars ...
FMM link ... did the welding for me.

This is my 'Goldenrod inspired ádjustments' to the way-too-sloppy-shifter-linkages ... I would gladly have paid their price but shipping and duty makes it a $500 deal which is silly when you see what needs to be done.

WHAT A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE!
I can't even explain how much better this feels .... shorter shift than my 6Cup car and as crisp - absolute winner.
The rear universal was cracked (see Robt recent post) and had stacks of play j(same as Cupcar Bill's pics) and my front rod was scruffy so it got replaced.
Will take this all out again and paint/polish when I strip the interior for the linen carpet correction i.e. removal

Even the pristine OEM stock collector guys are mad not do to this ...its simple rock-paper-scissors (or ching-chong-cha as we colonials call it)
Here Steel beats rubber & decaying plastic cup sockets hands down. Rifle bolt is no exaggeration.

Steve told me an interesting tidbit today - if you dont have rubber grease (we did) use furniture polish spray (not wd40, silicone or anything else plastic corrosive).
Anyway I've done away with all the plastic now .. did I mention it feels amazing?!

Had to leave work a bit early to be able to take the long and windy way home
Attached Images      
Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
HiWind
Race Car

... and to finish it off a nice weighty (250g) Sparco race **** I had lying around.
I just cut off the old tatty OEM know - either that or recover it and its too bulbous imo - had a
thread welded on while the RS shifter was out for the rose joint
and the used a sprung leather clip to hold the boot above the sparco tightening ring.
It means to remove the boot I now need to unclips the leather boot from the bottom,
rather than just pull the rubber **** off as before.

Feels great and tops the whole system off perfectly IMO. Didn't love the ali finish but quite happy with it
... I guess function over form has some subtle impact on how much I like something's look
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

That looks awesome! Lots of really nice hardware.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

looks nice
Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM
HiWind
Race Car

cheers Vandit, Doc ... coming along. In the interest of keeping a journal of work done...

replaced the (very) worn engine mounts with these off a 997GT3 that I got in trade (link)
Car feels better but have yet to take it on a long trip as I decided to:
Putty (not F/G) in the RS brake ducts and then have the bumper resprayed as it was showing its age.

Well you know what happened next

So while I was there :0 ...
1. I dropped off my GT3 hardbacks for the obligatory spray in RS Blue (riviera?)
2. removed the equal length headers that came with the car (custom I think) and sent them to be media blasted and ceramic coated
- black inside with a dip, silver outside, then a polish (using these locals Powerkote Thermal Metalic Ceramic Coating)
3. and while I was in there (i.e. removing exhaust) decided to replace my custom (PO) thin mufflers (just visible in the last pic)
- there were 2 lying one above the other behind the back bumper - with a single dual in/out 60cm long magnaflow type muffler
as I need to shed 10db re new sound restrictions next year (and hopefully not pick up any weight at the worst point on the car)
4. also opened the door panel and found THE rattle - it was that bloody bolt (again) that secures the window guide - locktite'd now.

Can't wait to pick up the headers, bumper, seat and muffler next week and get things back together!
Attached Images     

Last edited by HiWind; 11-27-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:40 AM
HiWind
Race Car

progress today ... didn't get everything done yet, but seeing the shiny bits helps!
And boy are they shiny! the Ceramic coating came out great - insides black.
Very interested to see how much cooler they are but based on Cup cars at my track its material.

EqL Headers weigh 4kg each, mufflers about 7kg in total, in Stainless. Still more pipe to complete but not much
and tips to come - suggestions welcome!

Small mufflers will be mounted on the pipes from header towards 600mm dual muffler ...
just to ensure I get below 93db. Its not a fancy system ... reasonably cheap ... but the proof will be in the WOT test
... and not being black flagged or setting off car alarms outside my house.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a 3.8 RS inspired 964 - development journal