Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought an Ebay turbo kit for Wilson

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:06 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
^^the standard 944 turbo only made 15 hp more than your car...
Yes and the 3.0 S2 Twin cam only 10hp away.

It's not a particular high figure per Litre is it?

Nearly 50 years ago (1968) Porsche produced a Racing car called the 908/01 Spyder It had 8 cylinders N/A boxer engine 2997cc with 350hp @8400rpm !

Then 37 years later in 2005 an LMP car , V8 N/A 3397cc and 476bhp @9800Rpm !! (Bosch sequential multipoint Injection)

R
Old 01-28-2017, 05:12 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Holy crap!
Callaway... was an aftermarket conversion? Great picture.

-----------

I'm sorry for asking this question 1 million times,
but IS THERE ANY RISK TO THE ELECTRONICS by upping the injector size, to say 40 lb? I need my dme to stay working great.

-If not, can someone please post a link to a easily swapped injector? I have been reading on rising rate fpr & I think that will be okay for low boost until I swap internals. Bigger injectors are something I'd put on sooner rather than later. Spencer talked about modern 4 holes for better spray pattern... That interests me
You should look into the Callaway setup because it was just an N/A with a turbo thrown on it. Their hard pipes and routing are nicely done, but the way they achieved extra fuel with a 5th injector and no DME tuning is just antique.

NO THERE IS NO RISK TO ELECTRICS BY SWAPPING BIGGER INJECTORS. I just think starting with bigger injectors is a can of worms level of complexity to start off with. You should keep everything AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE to remove as many variables in how the car runs. I wouldn't even pipe up an intercooler to start off with. Add as you need, not start off complicated and have to work your way back when nothing works correctly.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:19 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Few cars on bimmerforums used a similar kit - well at least one ha. But tuning / engine management is where you will need to spend money IMHO. Dropping the DME and going VEMS sounds like a winner here.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
It's not much of an huge increase from my 2.7 N/A though? Only 16.25 Hp more (each cylinder)
What does your car trap 100-160 kph and 160-200 kph?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:18 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks Michael! I wish I had your tuning aptitude and knowledge!

Found this an interesting consideration: http://minimopar.net/perf/injectors-...rt-switch.html
When combined with something like this:
https://www.holley.com/products/nitr...parts/15982NOS

Just brainstorming here...
More than happy to help when you get to that point! I've been hoarding MAP tunes if you ever go that route. Many standalones also have nitrous triggering, btw.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
What does your car trap 100-160 kph and 160-200 kph?

Dunno, I need one of the accelerometer plug in devices to do some timings..

It also pulls nice and cleanly from a standstill (The knife edged crank / Aluminium fly) is not such an issue as I thought it could be but this is because of the low weight (1040kg - 2300kg) this set up in a car with 320kg - 700lbs more would be more difficult.

The sweet spot is cruising at a constant speed (130kmh / 80mph) then accelerating 3/4 throttle in 5th gear @ 3000rpm, it's clean as a whistle but doesn't feel that fast or dramatic like a turbo motor unyet in this top gear and the lower FDR Box (3.889) the torque and low mass rumble along and pull away from many car's which is what I wanted to build.

I'm tempted a little like Noah to find out what another 100-150bhp with a Turbo motor would be like, but I think I'd prefer to gain 60bhp with a twin cam head, trick cams and Individual throttle bodies and 7500rpm, but not this year.

R
Old 01-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I've got a not-very-pretty sheetmetal intake for an 8v head that would give you unlimited/easy access to the turbo if you put it in the standard 951 location. If you were really interested I might be willing to sell it off...I got it from blown944 of "lil mule" supercharged 944 fame.

this one...although it doesn't have the "horn" sticking out towards the driver side anymore.

I think he did a great job on lil mule. I didn't know the car wasn't still running on the track. What happened?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by odonnell
More than happy to help when you get to that point! I've been hoarding MAP tunes if you ever go that route. Many standalones also have nitrous triggering, btw.
Very kind of you brother!
Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow! Looks like Noah just hit on the mother lode. Christmas in January! Or was it boxing day? Anyway, Noah..Good luck..BTW hope that you have some C$ saved up for the new pistons I think you might need fairly soon..LOL!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I think he did a great job on lil mule. I didn't know the car wasn't still running on the track. What happened?
Believe he swapped that car to turbo or maybe just got rid of it to focus on his 951?...and he sold the SC stuff to me

He did some serious drag racing in his 951, 11.0 @ 130mph at 9000 ft altitude.
But he seems to have moved on from the Porsche world back into DSM stuff.

Let me know if you might want the intake to try with your turbo kit.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Wow! Looks like Noah just hit on the mother lode. Christmas in January! Or was it boxing day? Anyway, Noah..Good luck..BTW hope that you have some C$ saved up for the new pistons I think you might need fairly soon..LOL!
Yes. I have been dedicating most of my "wrenching time" to categorizing & selling car stuff & toys online. .. very time consuming but it helps create a toy fund & also frees up needed space!

I contacted the local dude with the cheap turbo rods & pistons today, we'll see if he responds.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

I decided to sell the Nitrous kit I was going to install, even though it was the "easier way" to boost, I am intrigued with the turbo challenge.

THE LAST 3 DAYS & NIGHTS I'VE SCHEMED & THINK I HAVE IT FIGURED OUT.

But I have 2 questions about the stock injection system, and hoping you folks can supply the answers.

First read this:

Fuel Injectors

"Another common misconception floating around is that improved performance can be obtained by simply installing a bigger set of injectors. Not only is that incorrect but, you can also damage your DME computer in the process.

There are basically two types of injectors on the market, high impedance injectors (with resistances typically greater than 10 ohms) and low impedance injectors which NORMALLY have resistances in the 2-3 ohm range. High impedance injectors are referred to as saturation injectors and low impedance injectors are called peak and hold injectors. The stock engine management computer uses two injector drivers with the two injectors batch fired (both fire at the same time). If you try to use injectors of a different resistance than what the injector driver is designed for, it can cause the injector driver to shut down or even burn up. Now, all 944s use low impedance peak and hold injectors. However, the 944 Turbo uses and injector with a resistance of 4.5 ohms (spec is 3.5 to 5.5 ohms). So, how many low impedance injectors do you think there are with a resistance of 4.5 ohms (Other than the ones used in the 944 Turbo)? If you guess somewhere around none, you're absolutely correct. So, what must we do to run bigger injectors? Well, we have to do some impedance matching. That's really just a fancy term for making a resistor of a different resistance than the one you currently have appear like it has the same resistance. For example, since most low impedance injectors come in the 2-3 ohm range, we need to make two 2-3 ohm injectors wired in parallel look like two 4.5 ohm injectors wired in parallel (remember two injectors batch fired off of each injector driver). I won't go into the theory behind series and parallel resistance circuits but, to the injector driver, two 4.5 ohm injectors wired in parallel to the driver provides and equivalent resistance to the driver of 2.25 ohms (press the "I believe" button now). Now, let's say we want to install bigger injectors with have a resistance of 2.5 ohms. Wired in parallel to the injector driver, these provide and equivalent resistance of 1.25 ohms. So, to get up to the 2.25 ohms resistance the driver is happy with, we need to install a single 1 ohm resistor in series (commonly referred to as a ballast resistor) with the two parallel wired 2.5 ohm injectors.

Now that I've gone through that long and boring explanation, I'll tell you that there are plenty of aftermarket suppliers out there who have already done all the calculations and will supply you with a set of bigger injectors and the appropriate ballast resistors to impedance match them to the stock DME injector drivers. Hope I didn't make you mad by making you sit through that explanation. However, it's my opinion that the more information you have, the more understanding you have about how your car works. With greater understanding comes better decision making when it comes to selecting equipment for performance modifications (as I climb slowly down off my soap box).

Once again, bigger injectors are of little use unless you have a set of chips which are mapped based on the bigger injector capability or a tuneable fuel management system.

By now you should be seeing a recurring theme here. That being, if you are to continue down the evil path of performance modifications, it is in the best interest of your sanity and pocket book to install a fuel management or stand alone engine management system early on in the game."
-clarksgarage

Question 1) Are n/a injectors also 4.5 ohms?
Question 2) How much voltage do the injectors get (each)? I am under the (possible mistaken) impression that it's a bad idea to just feed a bosch injector 12 volts and hold it open for a significant length of time (say 1 minute). True or false?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:07 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
Dunno, I need one of the accelerometer plug in devices to do some timings..
Not necessary...we are not sending a man to the moon. A simple analog stop watch will suffice.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:29 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

I decided to sell the Nitrous kit I was going to install, even though it was the "easier way" to boost, I am intrigued with the turbo challenge.

THE LAST 3 DAYS & NIGHTS I'VE SCHEMED & THINK I HAVE IT FIGURED OUT.

But I have 2 questions about the stock injection system, and hoping you folks can supply the answers.

First read this:

Fuel Injectors

"Another common misconception floating around is that improved performance can be obtained by simply installing a bigger set of injectors. Not only is that incorrect but, you can also damage your DME computer in the process.

There are basically two types of injectors on the market, high impedance injectors (with resistances typically greater than 10 ohms) and low impedance injectors which NORMALLY have resistances in the 2-3 ohm range. High impedance injectors are referred to as saturation injectors and low impedance injectors are called peak and hold injectors. The stock engine management computer uses two injector drivers with the two injectors batch fired (both fire at the same time). If you try to use injectors of a different resistance than what the injector driver is designed for, it can cause the injector driver to shut down or even burn up. Now, all 944s use low impedance peak and hold injectors. However, the 944 Turbo uses and injector with a resistance of 4.5 ohms (spec is 3.5 to 5.5 ohms). So, how many low impedance injectors do you think there are with a resistance of 4.5 ohms (Other than the ones used in the 944 Turbo)? If you guess somewhere around none, you're absolutely correct. So, what must we do to run bigger injectors? Well, we have to do some impedance matching. That's really just a fancy term for making a resistor of a different resistance than the one you currently have appear like it has the same resistance. For example, since most low impedance injectors come in the 2-3 ohm range, we need to make two 2-3 ohm injectors wired in parallel look like two 4.5 ohm injectors wired in parallel (remember two injectors batch fired off of each injector driver). I won't go into the theory behind series and parallel resistance circuits but, to the injector driver, two 4.5 ohm injectors wired in parallel to the driver provides and equivalent resistance to the driver of 2.25 ohms (press the "I believe" button now). Now, let's say we want to install bigger injectors with have a resistance of 2.5 ohms. Wired in parallel to the injector driver, these provide and equivalent resistance of 1.25 ohms. So, to get up to the 2.25 ohms resistance the driver is happy with, we need to install a single 1 ohm resistor in series (commonly referred to as a ballast resistor) with the two parallel wired 2.5 ohm injectors.

Now that I've gone through that long and boring explanation, I'll tell you that there are plenty of aftermarket suppliers out there who have already done all the calculations and will supply you with a set of bigger injectors and the appropriate ballast resistors to impedance match them to the stock DME injector drivers. Hope I didn't make you mad by making you sit through that explanation. However, it's my opinion that the more information you have, the more understanding you have about how your car works. With greater understanding comes better decision making when it comes to selecting equipment for performance modifications (as I climb slowly down off my soap box).

Once again, bigger injectors are of little use unless you have a set of chips which are mapped based on the bigger injector capability or a tuneable fuel management system.

By now you should be seeing a recurring theme here. That being, if you are to continue down the evil path of performance modifications, it is in the best interest of your sanity and pocket book to install a fuel management or stand alone engine management system early on in the game."
-clarksgarage

Question 1) Are n/a injectors also 4.5 ohms?
Question 2) How much voltage do the injectors get (each)? I am under the (possible mistaken) impression that it's a bad idea to just feed a bosch injector 12 volts and hold it open for a significant length of time (say 1 minute). True or false?

Sounds a good analogy,

A UK company tried different Injectors with mixed results & issues

See this link: and look at the 4 separate reports pages 116 - 119

https://www.augmentautomotive.co.uk/...d-porsche-944/

R
Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Noah - 944 NA injectors are 2.4-2.8 ohms like all other "low impedance" parts.
Don't bother with the turbo units...get new injectors of newer design.
Check out racetronix.com or http://rceng.com/

Quick Reply: So I bought an Ebay turbo kit for Wilson