Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogging and smoke after replacing h2o pump and seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 06:48 PM
alpinewhite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled out the oil cooler today. These pics are after I've cleaned up the parts. I noticed that the o-rings aren't the green ones. Thus, I still have old ones. I can't obviously find anything that's broken, though. The oil pressure relief valve only looks like a spring. This is not what I saw on some how-to articles.
Attached Images       
Old 09-25-2016, 07:22 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

That's the normal OPRV for pre-87 cars. There's a retrofit part, but it's not any better than the one you have...just put it back in and use the alignment tool
Old 09-25-2016, 11:57 PM
alpinewhite
Advanced

On another thread, I read that if water were leaking into the combustion chamber because of a bad head gasket, plugs would look like there were steam-cleaned. I just pulled mine out and confirmed that they are not steam-clean clean.

I know that it doesn't guarantee that my head gasket is not leaking from water-to-oil passages but there is still hope. A leak from water to the combustion chamber would guarantee the need for a head gasket.

Yes, I eventually want to change the head gasket but I want to take things one step at a time.

Thanks again to all. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Leaking oil cooler seals don't explain bogging. Either there's oil leaking in, or you have too much fuel. Blown fpr, sticky injector, etc.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 AM
alpinewhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by odonnell
Leaking oil cooler seals don't explain bogging. Either there's oil leaking in, or you have too much fuel. Blown fpr, sticky injector, etc.
Water in the oil (less lubrication) wouldn't do that? Come to think of it, when my 4runner had a blown head gasket, it ran fine except for the steam out of the exhaust when I accelerated. I had water in the oil too at that time.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:15 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Your bearings suffer, but no, you would hear rod knock before you lost power (and when you lose power it would be sudden and obvious that major **** hit the fan)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:52 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just take the head off..you'll find your answer then

Right now, you're just wasting time
Old 09-27-2016, 01:27 AM
alpinewhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van
Agree - head gasket from the initial overheating.

Chances are the head's not (too) warped to just put on a fresh gasket and be done with it. Just think, you're going to be an expert at timing belts soon!
Haha. This is the 3rd time I've done the timing belt on this car. 90k, 120k, and this one.

Are you Van Svenson on YouTube? If so, you've got some helpful videos.

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Just take the head off..you'll find your answer then

Right now, you're just wasting time
I think I just might. It doesn't look that much more than what I've already done to the motor. This video also gave me an idea of what's entailed.

Last edited by alpinewhite; 09-27-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinewhite
Are you Van Svenson on YouTube? If so, you've got some helpful videos.
Yes, I am!
Old 09-27-2016, 12:24 PM
alpinewhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van
Yes, I am!
Haha. You're awesome, dude. What did you mean by "90-degree rotation" at 2:40 on your video? Do you mean re-torque it all after spinning the crankshaft 90 degrees?
Old 09-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

No, it's called a "90 degree torque angle" - meaning you turn the nut 90 degrees, which stretches the head stud a very specific amount, which applies the correct clamping force. It's all outlined in the factory service manual (available in PDF online).

Glad you like the videos! (A clutch one is currently in the works...)
Old 09-27-2016, 01:38 PM
alpinewhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van
No, it's called a "90 degree torque angle" - meaning you turn the nut 90 degrees, which stretches the head stud a very specific amount, which applies the correct clamping force. It's all outlined in the factory service manual (available in PDF online).

Glad you like the videos! (A clutch one is currently in the works...)
Thanks. I looked at the FSM but it still didn't say it in detail. So, I searched and found this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...uing-head.html

Basically, here are the steps from what I understand:
1. Torque each nut to 20 Nm in the proper sequence.
2. Tighten each nut another 90 degrees using a breaker bar, again in the proper sequence.
3. Tighten each nut again another 90 degrees.

At the end, each nut would've been turned a half revolution after being torqued to 20 Nm. Is my understanding correct?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpinewhite
At the end, each nut would've been turned a half revolution after being torqued to 20 Nm. Is my understanding correct?
You've got it. But do it in the stages specified to avoid applying an uneven stress on the head.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Alpine: Good luck on the car!

Van: I too am a fan of your videos.

Patrick
Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 AM
alpinewhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van
Chances are the head's not (too) warped to just put on a fresh gasket and be done with it.
How can I check this? Do I simply put the head on a surface plate and try to rock it?

I'm assuming that a new head gasket set comes with 10 new head nuts. Whose set should I get? AutoZone has a FelPro set for $168 (http://www.autozone.com/gaskets/head...?checkfit=true).

When I redid the Ford 460 on my boat, it was recommended to spray the head gaskets with copper head gasket material and let them dry prior to installation. From Van's video, I see no such thing. I'm guessing that the copper spray is not used on the 944.

Originally Posted by Van
You've got it. But do it in the stages specified to avoid applying an uneven stress on the head.
Approximately what torque would the nuts be at the end?

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
I guess that you and I are on the same page. My '83 sat in an open New Hampshire backyard for at least 10 years. I pulled the head and later the rest of the engine. The HG was cracker crumbs. The car is down to a basic shell now and almost ready to receive the new (rebuilt) Torque tube, the rear end, the gas tank, and the engine, and both suspensions . It was not a totally complete car, so many new parts had to be sourced for it. Still plugging along after 3+years...and many, many dollars later...
Do you have a thread for your car?

Last edited by alpinewhite; 09-28-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Bogging and smoke after replacing h2o pump and seals