Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test drive disaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you. My X1/9 Bosch L-Jetronic system using hoses simply pushed onto barbs, no clamps, that was factory and it works fine, IF you have fresh perfect lines and the exact right hoses.
When i redid those I used the correct hose but added (FI) clamps. I'm feeling like since this is going to be my son's car I'd better be overly cautious. We already know what happens when things go wrong!

Last edited by jvandyke; 07-21-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:33 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
People are going to flame me for this, but I have used E85 rated gates Barricade hose cut to the proper length, and then double clamped the hose onto the factory barbs on both ends with fuel injection rated hose clamps after carefully cutting away the swagging. I also deleted the fuel damper and the damper line. I have never had an issue in the 3 or so years I've been doing this. It is totally safe, plenty of cars (even Porsches like the FI 914's!) came from the factory with clamped fuel lines.

more info here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ittings-2.html

One of the cars I did this with was a 951 that saw daily high boost, meaning it's fuel pressure (~65 psi under load) was almost double the ~37 psi an NA car sees. I still own that 951 and the lines still don't leak a drop.
I did the same, carefully cut away the clamping sleeve and installed new hose with clamps. I used the Oetiker-style clamps but the important thing is to use quality fuel injection-rated clamps. Cheap-o hose clamps from the hardware store will only end in tears.

This way cost me about $20, and I cam easily replace the hoses in the future, too. No issues whatsoever after about 2 years and daily use.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:06 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

I'm doing pretty well on most of my stuff.
I need a heater valve, mechanical one, I got one is the parts load from Plyhammer but was sent a vacuum operated one that does me no good. I don't know which cars had cable operated valves and which had vacuum ones, here's my melted one.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rkc9ee9op...ooYStmSpCFFyza
power steering reservoir cap
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/l8hmg71ey...L_M3Gk_styyPNa
some gas tank vent vacuum valve
This its up in the engine bay in front of the driver, connected to gas tank and a charcoal cansister in the left front fender, pretty sure it's destroyed.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ykypvs8ml...t3dD4D2_AoJ9Ma
I also need an engine mount heat shield, right side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222075257522?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITI haven't heard back on my fuel lines yet, I kinda regret sending the hardware out for a rebuild, I should probably have cobbled together my own.
Dipstick should be replaced, the plastic top is gone, just metal left.
I'm getting new needle bearings for the shift fork and belts and the clutch master to slave hose/hardline, several other new things too.
I think I'll end up needed these guys;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391201515641?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITI had just gotten the S shaped one from Pelican a week before the fire but the other is NA and the Porsche one is $55 or something, I made one the last time around, can do again I suppose.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have the charcoal cannister valve, just pay shipping.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 AM
jvandyke
Instructor

alright, I'll P.M. you
here's the engine, my kid sprayed it today, first attempt at spraying, came out really well to my eye

Old 08-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Lovely green mate!
Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Ive started R&R on a car that was dormant for years. Its a father son project as well so I feel your pain, but the memories of this challenge will last with you guys forever.

Is this a comment problem? So it seems from the comments above, it seems like the culprit is the fuel line. Do you guys recommend replacing the line regardless? Do you guys use bulk or do you guys go for factory rubber? Do you recommend all the fuel lines? If so, I'm not sure how easily running replacement hose from the back to the front.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:48 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tj90
Sorry to hijack the thread, but Ive started R&R on a car that was dormant for years. Its a father son project as well so I feel your pain, but the memories of this challenge will last with you guys forever.

Is this a comment problem? So it seems from the comments above, it seems like the culprit is the fuel line. Do you guys recommend replacing the line regardless? Do you guys use bulk or do you guys go for factory rubber? Do you recommend all the fuel lines? If so, I'm not sure how easily running replacement hose from the back to the front.
Hardlines run from the back of the car up to the firewall area, and from there they are rubber. Late cars are most problematic because the fuel lines pass over the exhaust manifold, but as you can see from this thread, early cars can have issues too. Replacing the rubber in the engine bay is all that is done generally unless there is physical damage to the hardlines.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:33 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

@konakat - thanks for the explanation. It looks like another project in the queue for me to do. Ive found several threads where guys are replacing OEM with aftermarket AN braided kits. I guess the problem is that the Porsche lines are unique and proprietary and fittings are difficult to source. It looks like with a pipecutter you can retrofit the An type fittings and never look back.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Double check that brake booster, the bladder inside might have melted.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:39 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

okay, will check that, if it doesn't work I'll know what to look at
We got side tracked by a death in the family, all work has stopped and out of state as obviously this project isn't quite as important at the moment.
Work will resume next week, at least I hope so.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

Default accelerator cable?

I think we now need an accelerator cable.
We finally tried for restart and she lives but the gas pedal went stiff and then died so I think the cable snapped internally.
Off to check Pelican but I think they're a tad pricey. Might have to fix it.
Did I mention it ran? Briefly (due to a fuel leak) but sounded fine and the new motor mounts smoothed it out amazingly.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:55 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Accelerator cable is Genuine Porsche so not a lot of room to work with unfortunately.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 09-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jvandyke
<SNIP> Did I mention it ran? Briefly (due to a fuel leak) <SNIP>
Rhut rho...Deja Vue in the making?

Great looking green - what shade is that?
Old 09-30-2016, 12:15 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

No deja vu happening here. We're keeping a wary eye on all these connections! Fire exstinguisher is now mandatory equipment on every drive (as it should be with any old car).
PO told us it was synergy green (new model Camaro color) and it came with a quart of paint. When my son sprayed the engine bay we discovered that it was not the same shade. The synergy has gold tones and flake in it. A really nice color. We hope to respray the whole car this color next Saturday. I really like it. It's pretty loud, bit loud for an old man but my kid? Yep, perfect. I think the car likes it too, wears the color really well, IMHO.

Quick Reply: test drive disaster