Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:31 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Did you take the cover with you to the shop? It would be great if they kept it covered when not working on it and USING fender covers. This might be something to look for on other cars in the shop, are fender covers on them?
Thanks for the recommendation. I did purchase 2 fender covers for the mechanic to use on my 944 in order to protect the paint. Totally worth the money!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:48 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
I have to wonder, who buys a car like that and only drives it for a few years? That seems nuts to me!
a man strucken down after dating one of the Kardashian ****** or similar. (rtfm)
Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 AM
oefporschelover
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life changes sometimes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Went to mechanic's shop and detailed the car on Monday. Clay barred, then polished. No wax yet as I ran out of time to review the paint surface in detail and may need to rewash and polish certain areas again. So far so good. You can actually see my reflection in one of the pics of the front fender.

I also bought Porsche key blanks from Amazon.com for ~$11 each shipped and took them to my local Aco hardware (a local hardware store with a key cutting machine) and while they initially resisted cutting a car key at first, i was able to convince them to do it and they cut 3 blank keys for me and each works perfectly! The Porsche dealer wanted more than $150 per key and a copy of the title, which I have.

Next I ordered Porsche logo floor mats from Llyods and should receive them soon.

So, attached are some pics of the detail and engine bay. Also, see the pic of the storage area under the driver's side rear hatch carpet and you will see Porsche gray duck tape holding down what appears to be the fuel line (it may be something other than the fuel line - I am guessing). I laughed when I saw that ducktape was part of the Porsche manufacturing process in 1982/3.

We ordered and will be replacing/changing the following parts:

1. Fuel pump
2. Water pump
3. Timing belt
4. Clutch
5. Spark plugs
6. Draining the gas and cleaning or possibly replacing the fuel tank. The original tank is metal and was filled to the top with fuel, so we don't expect much if any corrosion. We will add one can of “drygas” and about ½ bottle of Techron additive to a few gallons of new fuel when we try and start it. The fuel pressure should be in the range of 40 psi or better
7. Air filter
8. battery
9. All fluids, fuel, brake, oil, trans, coolant, etc.
10. thermostat
11. fender guards to protect the paint while the car is being repaired

After we change the parts/fuels listed above, here are some pre-start details that I thought readers of this thread may find useful:

Before we start the car we will:

* Disconnect the DME replay, fuel pump and wont install the new spark plugs until the engine is cranked as described below.
*We will oil the cylinders and try to crank the car manually. As it cranks, it may initially crank slow, then gradually speed up as the parts become lubed with oil. While cranking, we will be checking to see that the oil pressure gauge start to move. If the oil pressure gauge starts to move and everything sounds good, then we will can install the DME, spark plugs are fuel pump and try to start. I will try to be there for that moment and try to video tape.
Attached Images         
Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by CTK
Can you recommend a dash mat? Not sure what to look for in a dash mat.
Sorry, no personal experience with dash mats - my dash was already cracked up. Since then, it's in the garage or covered, but Aerospace 303 is a highly-recommended UV protectant.

I've Aerospace it 2~3x a year, and after that, I suspect any mat that keeps it out of the sun should be fine.

An expensive alternative (or supplement); 3M has a clear window "tint" - it only blocks UV/heat, blocks almost no visible light. Last I checked, it was not available as a DIY, and 3M only allowed certain places to install it.

That makes it "legal" (IMO) to "tint" the windshield and front side windows, and between that and Aerospace 303, should keep the dash in good shape.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive-Films/

Originally Posted by CTK
you will see Porsche gray duck tape
It probably cost 15 times whatever the regular Muggle duct tape costs

The cars is gorgeous!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazing find!

That is not a fuel line but a drainage pipe - I think coming from the fuel tank inlet.

Edit: OK, might be on the other side, so no idea where it comes from, but shall still be a drainage pipe. Whatever.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:43 PM
944s_ct
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That ducttape is holding the sunroof draintube.

After all the years the plastic shrinks and it separates at the connector.

Must have been done by the PO to prevent water from collecting back there..
Old 10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ish_944
Amazing find!

That is not a fuel line but a drainage pipe - I think coming from the fuel tank inlet.

Edit: OK, might be on the other side, so no idea where it comes from, but shall still be a drainage pipe. Whatever.
I believe that's the sunroof drain tube. There are a couple of holes in the bottom of the channel that the sunroof sits on. These tubes connect there and run through the body of the car and out the bottom.

What an incredible find. Let me know if you want to sell it!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 PM
smahunter
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

How is the 944 progressing
Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old Rennlister, Eniac, is doing the work on this, he also handles all of my P-car work including the race car.

If the owner tracks this car I will personally put a big dent in it with my race car. This is the perfect candidate for a concourse car. Kidding of course - maybe.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Disasterman: Ha, you found this thread! No, this 944 won’t see the track. Especially a track that you are on!

Attached are some recent pics. Progress is slow intentionally as i'm in no hurry and my Porsche mechanic (AutoCore in Warren MI, Stephen Cramer, Owner) is doing a thorough and neat job.

Fuel has been drained and tank flushed (no sediment or debris found in tank). Of course the fuel was a darker color, but not lacquer. Also drained oil and coolant. And no issues.

Check out the pics. Notice that one of the pics shows two different water pumps. The water pump shown toward the top of the pic is from another 944 which also came out of a 10+ yr storage. Notice that there is some corrosion on the interior circular piece of that water pump (sorry, not sure what to call that interior piece). The water pump at the bottom of that same pic is from my 944. It had just been removed and you will see wet coolant on the interior pieces and there is no corrosion.

My mechanic tells me that the corrosion on the other water pump is from using the wrong coolant. My 944 still had factory coolant, so no corrosion.
My mechanic hand cranked my 944 engine and it turns over freely without issue. So, we will complete the change of the water pump, timing belt, change fuels, clutch and spark plugs, etc.

Per the advice of my mechanic, we are using an upgraded clutch kit as the standard 944 clutch uses rubber and has a short shelf life.
Attached Images           

Last edited by CTK; 11-04-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
I have to wonder, who buys a car like that and only drives it for a few years? That seems nuts to me!
Did you watch chasing classic cars this week and see the 1921 Stutz Bearcat garage find with only 11k miles on it? That works out to 117 miles a year

Congrats on your find. Very cool. Interesting to see the invoice at $23K. And to think my 968 had blossom to a hefty $60k just 9 years after.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:40 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did Porsche use a sealant on the original water pump gasket? Using sealant was the only way i could get my new pump to not leak. The interior circular piece you're referring to is the pump's impeller. Great car and story thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

What a great find! I just wish mine looked that good! Outstanding! Keep up the great work!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks again for the cool story and detailed , concerned approach to the 're-awakening'......

A couple of comments :

-Nice to see the red vinyl toolbag in such spectacular condition. My July/ '82 build - 944 has the same bag, but later cars came with the black vinyl bag.
-There are MANY differences between the early build '82s and the later cars, ( I have counted about 50 items which are different from the later '84 cars I own. Small stuff like vinyl and leather textures, dash gauge and trim pieces, door top scripting versus plain, width of FUCHS - 7x16 square versus 7 and 8 x15 staggered, hood release pull, hood prop slot, etc. Bear in mind these are ORIGINAL cars purchased new by me or by several friends which didn't receive any modding or a/m changes.)
-I believe the earlier referenced Porsche script floor mats were considered 'factory' mats .... the ones with the jute backing, but came thru parts departments within Porsche only. I only saw them in cars new laying loosely inside in back, and the additional markups for their cost as an add to the Monroney sticker on the window. I have never seen an oem window sticker from Porsche showing them as a factory addition. At least not on the early cars.
- You mention rubber clutch longevity. Strange, but I own four low mileage 944s with the original clutches still in place. Oil, heat, and owner abuse hurt the life of these rubber centers. The highest mileage original clutch I still own, is one with 78,000 miles. ( It may prove me wrong on the next turn of the key...... but I would NOT be tearing the clutch out on your 3,000 mile car just yet if it was me. If it begins to fail, you always have the built in 'limp home mode' to count on. These clutches were made with that in mind, not allowing you to become stranded. Personally I would leave it alone until it fails, just lending credence to the originality to your find.) And saving several thousand dollars or more. Your car , if limited in use , most likely will NEVER need a clutch in it's life.

- My July '82 built car has serial #2406 and came into the east side of Colorado to it's first owner. It now has had 56.000 miles accumulated and shows as factory showroom new. Black leather (full) Sport Seats, FUCHS alloys, Limited Slip diff., manual sunroof/ steering/ and antennae, Guards Red, and still has it's original windshield. It came with the sport suspension also, but the previous owner chose to replace the original Koni shocks with the newer style Koni yellows. It has had one waterpump changeout, but at least four timing belt and balance shaft belt changes, the last by me when I bought it with 51,000 miles. It only really gets driven to shows and to keep things mechanically 'alive' as I have other higher mile 944s to use up while enjoying the experience of driving one.
I wish you all the BEST in your re-awakening. What a GREAT car to have found and brought back. It sounds like both were meant for each other !

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)