Fixing Flats

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 03:40 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Post Fixing Flats

Oh man, I just picked up a large metal staple on my rear tires (Yoko AVS-Sports) ;-( Problem is its very near the edge of the tire. I have heard that its a problem in this area and the tire rep may recommend junking the tire.

Anyone know the "rules" or recommendations out there? I will not get it plugged but have the tire patched from the inside. I know its a violation of the Z rating of these tires but they are used in the city almost 100%.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-03-2002, 04:17 PM
Stem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are only talking about 80 mph and interstate type cornering, then I'd patch it and use it. If you are going to "drive" the car, get a good tire!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO If repairing you should only patch it. However, It Can't be fixed if its along the curve of the edge.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Well, it turns out that I the $#(*)$ wire staple was too close to the sidewall and the tire was toast. This was from my local tire guy down the street. **Sigh**. A 255/40/17 is not cheap...I then found out that Yokohama has a road hazard warranty...great! After some calling around I head down to the Yokohama guy to get a new tire covered under the warranty.

These tire warranties are a total crock. They prorate the tire wear from an artificial price for the tire that no one would ever pay! It turns out that I saved about $30 using the warranty program on a tire that was 9 months old and still had %63 (yes its that precise) good tread...if the tire is 50% then you might as well buy a new one and forget the warranty, the fees will make it more expensive than buying a new tire!

**Sorry, I had to vent**

At least I have four non-patched tires on the car!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Fixing Flats