Sponsored by:

Toyo Proxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Boeingone
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Toyo Proxes

I searched the archives and found one reference to these tires. Anybody have pros or cons on a set for a 87 930?
Thanks,
Randy C
87 "Turbo Toy"
Old 06-10-2003, 06:11 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Toyos are great tires. What do you plan on using the 930 for? Track, weekend toy or and every day car?

If you don't plan on driving in the snow at all, then I would go with the Proxes T1-S's. They are an incredible wet/dry tire. Traction is AA and tempurature is A and treadware is 280 I believe.

Toyo tires have been #1 in product quality the past 6 years, tied with Michelin. Toyo also has a customer ride guarentee, you have 45 days or 500 miles to decide if you like them or not. If you don't like them, you can exchange them, no questions asked. In my opinion, you can't beat that deal.

Any other questions, just ask. Tires are what I do.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

If you are talking about the Proxy RA-1's, their race tire then I am familur with them. I have run many sets of the RA-1's as well as other race tires. BFG, Khumo, Hoosier.

Pro's of the RA-1
1.They last a long time
2.Relatively inexpensive
3.Work well in the rain / compared to other race tires.

Con's

1.They last a long time
2.They are not as grippy as other tires

If you are looking for a competative autocross tire, this is not it. If you are looking for a competative road race tire, this is not it. If you are looking for a tire you can drive multiple events that grip much better than street tires and can be driven in the rain. This is the tire for you. Don't get me wrong, these tires are significantly better than even the best street tire, but I would not run them if winning at any cost was your goal. If that is the case, buy the Hoosiers.

I am currently running a set of RA-1's right now on my 88 951 for SOLO II. I bought them used and cheap and I will be able to run all of this season in PCA and SCCA events and probably all of next season as well. If I were on Khumos or the old BFG's, I could barely have one season of SCCA. Hoosiers, I would maybe have 1/2 to 3/4 of a season of driving.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:17 PM
slinky
Burning Brakes

My fiance has Toyos on his Miata. They are terrible in the rain and downright dangerous in the snow. In dry conditions, though, super-sticky. Would be good for track.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:48 PM
John Krawczyk
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have (about 15 months now) the Proxes TPT's on my 1979 928 and they are a great tire. Much better in the wet than the P4000 Pirellies they replaced. Alas they are not as grippy in the dry as those Pirellies and i will not be getting another set as i dont drive in the rain nearly as much as the dry. However, they are good enough that i can wait untill they wear out to replace them.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:09 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by i am a TRAITOR
Any other questions, just ask. Tires are what I do.
In that case...what's your view in the Khumo 712s vs the Toyo? I've heard excellent things about the Kumho, and they're pretty cheap in the UK.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are referring to the Proxes T1-S, they are darn good dry tires, but as someone pointed out they are terrible in the wet (who cares about snow, get a set of snow tires). I work for Bridgestone and have driven nearly every performance tire on the market. Currently I am running Kumho Ecsta MX and I have to say they suck in the rain as well. Actually they are so bad my wife refuses to drive the car if there is even a hint of rain. I took off a set of Potenza S-02s and they would shoot 10 foot rooster tails. Toyo makes a quality product for a reasonable price. If I had to choose between the Toyo and the Kumho, it would definetly be the Toyo. You may try the new Potenza RE-750 if you are looking for price or the S-03 if price is not an issue (which I assume it is since we are discussing Ecsta 712).
Old 07-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW the Kumhos came on the wheels, when they are toast, 3 more months maybe, I will be going to S-03.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:30 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Matt - the Kumho MX is not the same as the Kumho Ecsta 712 - but your comments are well received. I'll look through www.tirerack.com to check test results etc before making any decisions...
Old 07-17-2003, 11:18 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob

Just saw this thread. I have 712's on since Feb 2002, done about 7k miles on them. I really like them, much better in all conditions than the Conti's they replaced. I think I paid around £75 per tyre at Micheldever. BTW, cost is no object for me when it comes to tyres. I didn't buy these just because they are inexpensive, I purchased them because the consensus was they were very good. If hadn't liked them, I would have purchased a new set immediately. ABS lock up is minimal, pretty impressive (and also in the wet).
Old 07-18-2003, 12:52 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kumho MXs on. I have done several AutoX's and two track days with them and have been very impressed. Prior to these tires I ran RE730s on the same 17" wheels and before that SO2s on narrower 16 inchers. In the dry the MXs offer excellent grip. I have not really pushed them in the wet.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:22 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Christer, thanks for your comments. We'd had the same discussion on the 964 forum too; I'm with you - except that the price was a factor (ie, if I can get tyres that good at that price, why should I pay more just for a brand?)

Like you though, I wouldn't just buy cheap tyres, they have to be good too. Your feedback has certainly helped me.

BYW, I once put Yokohama tyres on my BMW and the car just didn't like them - I actually didn;t blame the tyres at forst, refusing to believe that they would have made such a difference, but changing them (to Contis BTW) brought back the handling...(not a slur on Yokos - also used Yokos AVS on my M3 & they were excellent.)

I think the upshot is that it is not just the tyres - but the car/tyre mix.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes