Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Nitto NT-01s inside/out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:48 PM
ToddPhilly
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Nitto NT-01s inside/out?

Due to lack of camber in my car, my outside edges on the front tires is pretty badly worn after 2 track weekends. What do you guys think about unmounting the tires and swapping them inside out? If not driving in the rain, should that be OK?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 AM
DEjunkie
Rennlist Member

I did this to a set I had for an Audi TT, but had my tire guy look at them first. Just make sure you do it at the right time to maximize tire life. I do have buddies with 993s and they have done the same.

good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
ToddPhilly
AutoX

That is good news! I was planning on having my shop check out the tire first, but I wanted to do a little homework beforehand to make sure this is something I should even consider doing.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Dave DE
Racer

I have no personal knowledge, but have heard from a couple other folks that they have done this with success. I plan on flipping my nt01's before my next event.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

preaching to the quire... but if your suspension camber and tires pressures are set right you should have even wear and better contact which ='s faster laps
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
ToddPhilly
AutoX

Yup - I'm aware of the camber issue. Issue is that I won't be able to do a suspension setup until next year. Trying to get more than 1 weekend out of my current set of tires. So trying to determine if it's safe to remount a set of asymmetrical tires (NT-01) backwards if not driving in rain.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grooves on most DOT "R" compound tires are for water evacuation (little as they give) so you can flip flop with no issues in the dry. Try to add more negitive camber in the front. I know you are limited to about (-) 1 degree so max it out and you may need to run a little more pressure to limit rolling over onto the side as much as possible. Also, if the track you go to has more right turns then lefts (like Roebling Road in Savannah, GA) then you may want to swap from side to side on the fronts 1/2 way thru each track days.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM
ToddPhilly
AutoX

Thanks Doc GTO. I did switch left to right at my last event to even out the wear as much as possible - definitely helped. I have about 1 degree of camber in the front (stock Cayman S), which clearly won't cut it long term. I will try increasing pressures in the front. I didn't think about that, but I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks again for your input!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddPhilly
Thanks Doc GTO. I did switch left to right at my last event to even out the wear as much as possible - definitely helped. I have about 1 degree of camber in the front (stock Cayman S), which clearly won't cut it long term. I will try increasing pressures in the front. I didn't think about that, but I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks again for your input!
No problem!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats what I used to do for roebling, ~75% right turns.

Quick Reply: Swapping Nitto NT-01s inside/out?