Sponsored by:

Cleaning matte black wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 AM
charnph
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning matte black wheel

I got HRE p40 in texture black. I am wondering what is the best way to take care of them. Should I use wheel wax on them? Is it ok to use quick detail when drying the wheel? Lastly, I am getting water spot on the inside of the wheel after washing, what is the best way to get rid and prevent them.
Thank you
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
rennschnell
4th Gear

Do not put any wax or cleaners on the matte black surface as it will stain or spot it. Soap and water on a cool wheel and not in direct sunlight. You could also use Simple Green and water.

-Enjoy the wheels!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 AM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rennschnell
Do not put any wax or cleaners on the matte black surface as it will stain or spot it. Soap and water on a cool wheel and not in direct sunlight. You could also use Simple Green and water.

-Enjoy the wheels!
Personally, I think simple green is way too harsh to use on wheels. I only use it on engine components and wheel wells, when they are extremely nasty. I'm not sure about your finish on your wheels, a picture would help. I use wax on my satin black wheels, with no issues. And yes, soap and water on a cool wheel and not in direct sunlight is good advice, P21S is a good cleaner for wheels.

Also, try the Car care forum, they may have more insight there...

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/
Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 PM
charnph
2nd Gear

thx for the help you guys
here is the wheel...its a texture black HRE P40...
most problems i i have right now is the left over water after washing the car...i tried blowing them out (with a blower), but there appear to be some left which cause water spot
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Grun_RS
Track Day

I have matte-black 993 wheels and typically just use soap & water and dry with a chamois. I'll have to try blowing out the water - the lug sockets are deep on the 993 wheel.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have flat black wheels but have always had good results with eagle 1 'all wheel and tire' cleaner. It sucks any gloss stuff and dirt out of the rubber and removes brake dust easy. The 'all wheel' variety leaves out rubber cleaner and seems pretty weak and is like a light soap mixture. The 'all wheel & tire' cleans even the wheel well plastic pretty good so great if you want to clean there too. There is an etched wheel they make but I'm not sure if you'ld want to try that. It works great on plain etched wheels though. Most the work is done by spraying any of the above on except the 'all wheel' that takes some scrubbing with rag or brush. All of them rinse off easy.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

P21S Total Auto Wash, orange in color (not the P21S wheel cleaner)
CR Spotless DI water filter.
Rejex application (optional but preferred)
Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

With PCCBs you shouldn't need anything more than soap & water.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pac996
I don't have flat black wheels but have always had good results with eagle 1 'all wheel and tire' cleaner. It sucks any gloss stuff and dirt out of the rubber and removes brake dust easy. The 'all wheel' variety leaves out rubber cleaner and seems pretty weak and is like a light soap mixture. The 'all wheel & tire' cleans even the wheel well plastic pretty good so great if you want to clean there too. There is an etched wheel they make but I'm not sure if you'ld want to try that. It works great on plain etched wheels though. Most the work is done by spraying any of the above on except the 'all wheel' that takes some scrubbing with rag or brush. All of them rinse off easy.

EAGLE1 is great, when used with a pressure washer it equals no scrubbing!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
redcarman
Instructor

I use the Mr. Clean Autodry car wash system which has a filter that actually removes minerals and deposits from the water and sprays the equivalent of distilled water on your car (I only use the filter part and not the wash soap). This filtered water can be easily removed to a near dry state with no remaining water spots. This works well on mat black trim and wheels. Another method which the way too **** previous owner of my car used to use is to do a final rinse of the black parts of the car (after washing) with a garden pump type insecticide sprayer and distilled water. Both methods will acheive similar results - no residual water spots.

Mick

Quick Reply: Cleaning matte black wheel