Sponsored by:

tire heaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 PM
zmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire heaters

does anyone have experience with these? I was at the track today and one of the guys had Chicken Hawk tire heaters. He swore by them.

The theory is that you can turn 4 or 5 heat cycles in a day into one. Since I typically cycle through my R6s before I wear them out, this seems to make some sense.

Any thought or comments on this strategy? I'm trying to keep the cost of tire replacement down.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
vipola
Racer

I have no experience with Car tire warmer, but on motorcycle I wouldn't live without it
It save you rubber and get the tire ready to push them even in the first lap. and it give you a great peace of mind.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

So good F1 is banning them next year. Norm Golrich uses them and he is on this site.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've seen Chicken Hawk makes the bike tire warmers too. In that market the don't have much competition like maybe just one other company. Prices are high.

But back to your deal. It is good to use them since you are warmed up out of the pit. If where you race doesn't have much power available then a generator or prime pit spot is needed. Warmers are good just using them is all I can figure as a possible problem. Be prepared to weigh the choices of which type of operation the warmers have. It's a fancy choice or three.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Wraith1027
Instructor

Chicken Hawk is one of the top line tire warmers in the bike industry. I know the owner personally and he is a top notch guy. Customer service is excellent. You won't be disapointed. He runs STT track days in the NE. Tire warmers will save you money in the long run, if you are running race spec tires where heat cycles tend to shorten the life of a tire before the tread is spent. If you are running performance street tires, it probably won't do anything but allow you to roll onto the track with tires already warm and ready to go. No warm up laps needed. I run the digitals on my race bike, that way I don't over bake the rubber.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zmann
The theory is that you can turn 4 or 5 heat cycles in a day into one..
I'm not sure I follow that line of reasoning.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Wraith1027
Instructor

The tires are warmed up prior to going out on the track. When you return to the paddock, you put the warmers back on and keep them on untill you go out again. The tires never cool down. Heating and cooling a track tire (Heat cycle) breaks down and causes hardening of the rubber and deteriorates the tires ability to grip. They wil start to glaze and shread apart as the hardened rubber tears away from the softer rubber. You will get a shiny purple look to the rubber and experience chunking and shearing making the tire useless even though there is good tread left. tire warmers allow you to run a tire much longer on the same heat cycle and lets you use the entire life of the tire.

Trending Topics

Old 01-03-2010, 01:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So, in other words, a new tire, wrapped in a heated blanket and maintained at operating temperatures will never break down?
What about the release of oils from the compound due to temperature?

Quick Reply: tire heaters