Notices

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 04:31 PM
greasem0nkey86
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderweb
Bummer @greasem0nkey86—let’s fix that next time! Do you ever do group drives/meetups? I’ve only been a Porsche owner for two weeks so looking forward to getting some of those in, especially hitting up Alice’s.
I’m keeping the car in the garage today with the progression from drizzle to real rain and flooding. Wife just called to report seeing another car do a full 360 on 101 on her way to work.
I used to when I had my Miata, years ago.
Now that I have a family, not so much, I had to take advantage of the work visit yesterday, haha.

I got mine ~two weeks ago as well, congrats!

It seems like 280N by the Daly City In & Out has gotten more and more flooding over the years
Old 12-23-2021, 05:32 PM
spyderweb
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by greasem0nkey86
I got mine ~two weeks ago as well, congrats!
Thanks and congrats to you too! Which year/model did you get? Any photos or posts about it on here?
Old 12-24-2021, 01:07 AM
Multimodal
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 163 Posts

Just drove SF -> 280S -> La Honda -> Skyline -> Half Moon Bay Rd -> back to SF this afternoon starting from noon to 2.

Zero cars in front or behind me on Skyline the entire way, thank you drizzle! No road debris either. Saw a bunch of tree removal trucks so they must have been busy this morning and on their lunch break.

Obviously top up, on PS4S’s. Don’t let the rain keep you in—beautiful drive today!
Originally Posted by greasem0nkey86
I took SF > SJ for a work visit > hwy9 to the stop sign on the West side of Skyline > back to Skyline > Alice's for lunch > Kings Mtn > SF starting at 11:30.
Must have just missed you on Skyline
Your posts inspired me to do San Francisco to Point Reyes Lighthouse via Stinson Beach. It's not a Porsche - that comes next year - but it's still a lot of fun! Traffic was low due to the drizzle (though I still ran into four red Priuses at once at one point - they're everywhere).

Old 12-24-2021, 04:03 AM
greasem0nkey86
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks and congrats to you too! Which year/model did you get? Any photos or posts about it on here?
Not yet, I usually lurk on the forums and rarely post.
I’m going to be typing up a review on an indy shop in SoCal.

Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba
Your posts inspired me to do San Francisco to Point Reyes Lighthouse via Stinson Beach. It's not a Porsche - that comes next year - but it's still a lot of fun! Traffic was low due to the drizzle (though I still ran into four red Priuses at once at one point - they're everywhere).
I’m surprised you said Prius and not Teslas 🙃
Old 12-24-2021, 10:01 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

@Mr. Maboomba SF>Stinson (either over Panorama or via Muirs Beach) to Pt Reyes National Seashore is one of my fave BA rolls, but wasn't the road to the lighthouse in poor condition and not one that you would recommend be used by a sports car this time of year (or any time when there are high tides etc.)?

Cheers for the additional recon...and gorgeous Pony car!

Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba

The following users liked this post:
Multimodal (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 02:40 PM
Multimodal
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 163 Posts

There was more standing water on CA-1 between Woodville and Point Reyes Station than on Sir Francis Drake Blvd (the road from Point Reyes Station to the shore). There were sections of Sir Francis Drake Blvd that were in disrepair but nothing too bad - par for the course for backcountry roads.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:00 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

This post is by far the most comprehensive and easy to use list of driving roads I have found. I relied heavily on this for my recent trip to SF. I am thinking about going back the first week of March with my son if spring training is canceled or postponed. My other though was to try the roads closer to L.A. I tried searching but could not find a similar thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Here is a pic from the Pigeon Point Light House.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:02 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for this list, really helpful!

I do a lot of cycling so am very familiar with some of the local roads (hwy 1 to Stinson, Skyline/La Honda), but I find these are not that fun in the car because of the heavy (bike and car) traffic on weekends. Although always fun to go to Alice's just to see all the cool cars.

Now that I live in SF I have been wanting to visit Point Reyes, but it seems like a lot of traffic going that way on weekends. Next trips for me are probably further north to Point Arena, or south to SR25.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:16 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by bob78h
...but I find these are not that fun in the car because of the heavy (bike and car) traffic on weekends.
Yup, hence the recommendation...

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
To enjoy many of these roads, you often need to be out there at the crack-of-dawn so as to find them mostly empty. If you leave it to later in the day, you'll frequently be inundated with cyclists/traffic/etc. That's just a fact of life when living in the SF Bay Area...
Karl.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:29 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 194 Posts

For those in the East Bay, the short drive through Sunol connecting Niles and 680 is nice!

Edit: Not sure if it was added. This is slowly becoming my new favorite thread!

SYSTEM MOTORSPORTS
RAYS / ADVAN / BBS - RETAIL / WHOLESALE
@thomsonsss / @systemmotorsports

Last edited by smceo; 01-15-2022 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Miggytosh (01-19-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 01:06 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smceo
For those in the East Bay, the short drive through Sunol connecting Niles and 680 is nice!

Edit: Not sure if it was added. This is slowly becoming my new favorite thread!
Hi,

I can’t quite figure out which road you mean.

Can you be more exact (or provide a Google Maps link of the route)?

Thanks.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 01-22-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:51 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 194 Posts

Hi,

I can’t quite figure out which road you mean.

Can you be more exact (or provide a Google Maps link of the route)?

Thanks.
https://goo.gl/maps/dsULGvAFQXqp4Srr5
Old 01-22-2022, 05:37 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, it's been added to the top post...

East Bay
Karl.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:51 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

I drove a few more roads in the list in the last couple weeks.

SR25 was a bit of a trek from SF but a lot of fun, very little traffic. The only negatives were that it is chip sealed so a little rougher surface, and a lot of gnats made it in the car when I stopped for a break (was killing them the whole drive back to SF).

This morning I took Hwy 9 from Skyline to Santa Cruz. Aside from being stuck behind a few slow drivers, it was a blast. Saw a bunch of GT cars headed the opposite direction. I will note that the lower section past Ben Lomond was not that great. Quite narrow, lots of MTBers looking for parking and some truck traffic. Next time I'll probably try cutting over to the coast using Felton-Empire to Empire Grade.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:26 AM
Malloric
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,
Great post!

I drove part of the Berryessa up to Clear Lake, didn't get far. Once you get North of Lake Berreyesa Knoxville Rd is in terrible shape. It's a bumpy ride but enjoyable leading up to where it goes one lane through the creek crossings. I made it about 3 miles from where it goes on lane and turned back for Pope Valley/Angwin. Burn area is pretty extensive up there but the wild flowers are out. Very quiet on a Friday afternoon/evening.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?