Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

912 POLO

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year: 1967
Make: Porsche
Model: 912
Mileage (numbers only please): 107000
Color: Bahama Yellow
VIN: 463184
Price (no $ sign please): $135000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM Radio

The history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine
Hakse has given me permission to post his article from the Netherlands to my site. It's on the history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine. Go to www.pompolodesign.com
scroll down and click on the magazine. Enjoy.
Chris
Last edited by cmpski; 09-17-2013

Until something new and relevant to this car happens after this date I will leave this post alone unless asked a question.

Last edited by cmpski; 03-11-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:38 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's very cool what you've built but I have a hard time understanding the price. Can't you buy/build a Polo motor for around $30K? Add another $30k to find a nice 912, then maybe even throw $20k at the whole project to make everything as nice as it is on your car. That leaves me asking why $185k? Because this is the first 912 with a Polo motor? I can save $105k and just have the second one, unless I'm missing something...
Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

First, I have way over 105K in the car.
Where to start.
My engine was north of 40. Head work, titanium valves, etc. Full engine management and over 100 hours of software work.
I wanted a LSD in the trans. Finding one for the early aluminum cases was hard and Stan at gbox who builds a ton of early to 997 race boxes told me the old 901 LSD for the early aluminum cases didn't impress him much. So I found a low mileage 914 trans and bought a 69 to 71 nosecone. Added several different gears, and a Wavetrac TBD. I had custom trans to axle flanges made up Transmission, parts, and work was another 7 or 8K.
New shift bushings. Slightly reshaped shifter.
My North Hollywood gauges are all NEW and custom.
The seats, (Custom longer SS metal inserts in the headrests. Metal frame work in the seats for more upper torso support and plates to drill and tap for 4 headrest supports per seat), buy 4 more headrest supports, inflatable lumbar support, rear shelf with doors to store the ECU for the engine and plaid material, etc. = a lots of $.
My custom seat recliners.
I made up some engine tin.
I had a custom engine mount made.
New gas tank prepped and coated, fuel level sender, fuel pump, front and rear fuel filters, hi and low pressure fuel lines and new fittings.
My front Brembo aluminum calipers with 48mm pistons like the aluminum S's and 3 inch bolt spacing for non S struts with reproduction 908 pad retaining pins where a one of set until Pete Stout and I talked and he had a set made. My rears are set up with spacers to use 944 vented discs. Fronts are 911SC. All 4 cryoed. The calipers, parts, bills from PMB, and two others who helped, $$$$
The whole brake system upgraded, like no other and like new.
New twin circuit master for the brakes.
Header fabrication.
Muffler.
A lot of cad plating.
Zillions of little misc. parts to be purchased it seemed.
Finding a early threaded oil cooler. You can buy them new again but a good one sent to Pacific Oil Cooler for cleaning was hard to come by a few years ago.
I wanted a ex vintage racing oil tank that was baffled. More $.
Custom width and offset rear Fuchs done by Jim Lyon. And 6 wheels (3 front and 3 rear) painted by Al Reed. He had never had anyone ask to have 16's done that way.
Elephant Racing oil lines, thermostat, oil cooler, suspension bushings, etc.
Changed out torsion bars.
4 new Koni's
Vintage front adjustable sway bar links.
15mm front 16mm rear sway bars.
This was just off the top of my head. I'm sure I forgot several items like lazier work on the valve covers and 2 engine lid grill badges. I gave one to Dean. $$
Could this have been done for less? If I had done it cheap Excellence wouldn't have written it up and 6 more guys wouldn't be building one now.
They should hit the road in 1 to 3 years.

A lot of time, over 2 1/2 to 3 years. 100's of hours of research and searching for parts. I found parts in Europe, Australia, and of course Canada, and the US.
I work on vintage Porsche's at Vintage Car Works in Denver. We charge for our time there as do all businesses. Why would I work for free on this car.
This car isn't going to be bought by a DIY guy. How much would a well heeled Porsche guy have to pay their chosen shop to build one of these at a shop rate probably over a $100.00 an hour?
Why sell? I enjoy making them. If it doesn't sell, it's a keeper. By the way I've had offers over the 105 number already and it's only the start of the car buying season. One guy who Richard said I would know of sent his representative to look at the car. When the roads dry I wouldn't be surprised if we here from them again.
Call up Jeff Trask at European Collectables and see how easy it is to find a mostly original paint, clean 912 for 30K these days. They are now in the 40 to 60K range. Seems ridiculous to me but that's what the Europeans are willing to pay. So if you know where a car like this can be had for 30, go buy it.
By the way, that's a very nice looking white coupe you got there.

Here are a few more pictures.
http://www.pompolodesign.com/picture...-polo-car.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by cmpski; 03-15-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the compliment on my white car. It too started out as a 912 but I transplanted a 2.0L and later a 2.2L into it. It also received a ton of upgrades to mechanical, electrical, and interior systems. I can't think of a more fun project or a better way to get 'intimate' with one of these cars for a reasonable price. I have followed your thread on Early S and I'm a huge fan of what you've built.

Ever since you listed the car for sale on eBay 18 months ago I've wondered where you arrived at your price. Usually hotrods sell for a discount over their build price. This is because they are done to the taste of the builder and don't have the same high demand pushing up the price as original cars. This is not an indictment against what you have done though, it's just not that common to build a hotrod and make a profit. Would I own your car? In a heartbeat. My only concern is that you might be pricing yourself out of the market if you seriously want to sell it. I know what that's like because whenever I am asked what I would sell mine for I always give a really high number because I wouldn't want to actually part with it and I am hoping to scare away a buyer. Hopefully no one ever calls my bluff.

Lastly, I have bought a car from Richard who is a good guy. I also have had a few friends consign stuff with him. Most of his inventory is on consignment and he has been known to exaggerate the interest a car is getting because he does not want a seller to get discouraged and pull the car from his inventory. This is a natural reaction because the more cars he represents the more likely he is to make a sale regularly. I'm not saying this is the case with your car, I'm just cautioning you to be active in promoting and staying on top of what's going on.

Best of luck. You have built a one of a kind car that certainly hits all the right buttons.

Cheers,
-Mike
Old 03-15-2014, 01:08 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Thanks for your insight. Only time will tell if it sells. I know for a fact it's had offers over 105 as I've turned the offer(s) down. Richard is a promoter as are several folks I now in the industry. I fall into that category also as Porsche work is a part time thing for me. My back round is in business and if you are in business you have to compete. If it doesn't sell I'll enjoy it and probably develop it even further as I have more ideas. If kept, I'll have a second upper made for the driver seat with even more torso support ( a touring upper and a sport auto cross upper or it could be a his and her upper). With my recliners I can change a upper out in 5 minutes. A roll bar, a new header/heat exchanger, up upgraded seat recliners all made out of titanium. And a few more items I've been thinking about. My guess is if it sells it will go to a collector of Porsche's. This will be their least expensive car. A cool vintage hot rod driver so they don't mess up their investment cars with rock chips and such. Enjoy that cool car. I'll enjoy this one if it doesn't sell or the next one.

Hopefully this covers it as this is a for sell listing not a special interest thread. This car is covered here in the 912 section (something a little different) and on Pelican (911 and 912), Early 911S, and 912 Registry, and on my site. Just do a 912 POLO search on those sites.
All the best.

Last edited by cmpski; 03-15-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 AM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

Default 2015 Porsche with 4 cylinder 911 based engine.

What a concept. Lighter, better braking, and handling. Neat idea.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...er-report-says
Old 05-02-2014, 07:29 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

This car was made for warm days and winding roads. It's that time of year. Live the fantasy. If you live in the Northeast go check it out at Sloan's Cars.

http://sloancars.com/4268/1967-912-f...plaid-inserts/
or
www.pompolodesign.com
Old 05-03-2014, 01:23 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Dan Rowzie has his Polo engine Speedster is for sale too. A completely trick car that weighs nothing. Black/black with 18 inch billet wheels and tires wide as a bus. Handle? Are you kidding??? Check the specs in the Flat Sixes article.

http://flatsixes.com/cars/for-sale-c...-a-911-engine/

But I think I really like this coupe better.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

Yup. His car is or was at Sloan Cars also. Great car. You can get mine for a LOT less in the next 60 days or so. After that it's a keeper. I'm starting to really miss it. This will probably come off wrong. Oh well. I've driven just about every kind of Longhood that exists except a 911R. I prefer this car over all the rest. It has lightness, balance, and power. Some have more power, but not the balance. You can almost drive this car with your fingertips. For another year or two it will still be one of one and will always be the first. I'm in touch with 4 or 5 guys who are in the process of building one. The thought of meeting these guys somewhere for a epic drive is starting to really catch my imagination.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:18 PM
BrianinCT
Intermediate

Incredible, beautiful, irresistible car ! GLWS !

Separate note, Sloan said they were going to have PCA CT over for an open house type thing, still waiting on that glorious day when I get the tour, it might be hard to get me to leave !
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

Brian,
Thank you and thanks for the info on the open house.
Chris
Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 129 Posts

I saw this very amazing 912 in an ad in Pano yesterday and used the contact form on the Sloan site to inquire about it, and have heard precisely zero back from them.

After googling today and finding this thread, I see the asking price is more than I am looking to spend, but I was disappointed that the dealer didn't promptly respond to my inquiry. (And if I was the car's owner, I'd be even more disappointed!)

Last edited by centerpunch; 05-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:48 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

The Rowzie "Speedster mit Polo" is no longer at Sloan if that is what you refer to in your post.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

Centerpunch,
Richard Sloan has been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks. i'm sue he will get back to you as soon as he is able.
Chris 33-882-0268
Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

http://flatsixes.com/cars/for-sale-c...-912-911s-911/

Quick Reply: 912 POLO