Notices

Invisihitch vs OEM hitch for F15 X5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Invisihitch vs OEM hitch for F15 X5?

I am considering buying a Class III hitch for my F15 X5 to use for occasionally towing an open aluminum trailer loaded with a GT4 (have not bought a trailer yet). Trying to decide between the Invisihitch and the OEM BMW Class III hitch. I may also buy a bicycle rack that would work with the hitch. Just looking for opinions regarding which hitch I should buy.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
I am considering buying a Class III hitch for my F15 X5 to use for occasionally towing an open aluminum trailer loaded with a GT4 (have not bought a trailer yet). Trying to decide between the Invisihitch and the OEM BMW Class III hitch. I may also buy a bicycle rack that would work with the hitch. Just looking for opinions regarding which hitch I should buy.
I have the OEM unit because a) the dealer would not install anything else. b) they got me the parts for less than the invisi under a bmwcca discount. and c) there was an unfortunate design failure incident with the first generation invisihitch F15 that was publicised on bimmerpost (IIRC). d) the dealer could not tell me what all the parts needed were without the hitch.

Having lived with the OEM hitch now towing around a 3000lb track car + 2500lb enclosed trailer, there are two fatal flaws that would have probably changed my decision assuming I was OK with a 3rd party taking my bumper apart. Flaw #1 - the ***** are $300 because they are part of a monolithic unit. For a time I had two trailex trailers with different ball sizes - so I bought both hitch adapters. Flaw #2 - the 2" receiver is another $300 unit, and it extends about 8" further away from the vehicle than a normal hitch. Before you ask why not just get the 2" receiver and be done with everything, the answer is that it's designed for very light use - i.e. no trailers. My bike rack is now about 1.5' away from the hatch with this design. I don't feel comfortable running around town with the bike rack on the car unless I actually need it.

Either way, you will need several OEM parts to make it work. There are two (IIRC) wiring harnesses and a module. If you want a wired brake controller, at the time, for the F85/F15 there was not an option, but I think there is now and it's the same as the E70. I've been using a wireless unit with OK success, though I would much prefer a wired unit to avoid issues with LED brakes lights and the pulsing you get when braking while signaling.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 6526
Size:  10.4 KB

Name:  IMG_25611024.jpg
Views: 10933
Size:  121.5 KB

Failed Invisi Hitch - X5
Name:  01473212416.jpeg
Views: 6452
Size:  269.6 KB
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Thank you ShakeNBake for this info. Very helpful. I was aware of the gen 1 Invisihitch failure/design issue, and that has been the source of some concern for me, notwithstanding the changes that Invisihitch has made to the design. To me it raises the question how Invisihitch could have released a product that could fail the way the publicized failure occurred. That said, I was not aware of the design issue you mentioned regarding the OEM hitch, which renders the OEM setup practically useless for connecting a bike rack. In addition, the OEM hitch has a lower rated capacity than the Invisihitch (6,000 lbs. vs 7,700). I will not tow anything that exceeds 6,000 lbs. anyway, but it would be nice to have the extra bit of margin offered by the Invisihitch.

The last issue I have been thinking about is the fact that the Invisihitch requires some cutting of the rear bumper cover, which is probably not that difficult, but certainly not a selling point.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

^ Btw, ShakeNBake, which motor are you running in your X5? I have only the 35i and hoping it would provide adequate power.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

It's an m, with few things to surprise smug Tesla x owners.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:37 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the invisihitch on my 2015 X5d for 2 1/2 years and now put it on my new 2017 X5d. No cutting of the bumper cover required. Installed it myself on both cars. No problems towing an open featherlite loaded with a GT3 . I wasn't aware of the failure you posted. Possibly over loaded tongue weight??

In any case, I am very happy with the invisihitch. Use the BMW factory wiring harness and tow module and it's plug and play with a standard brake controller.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
I've had the invisihitch on my 2015 X5d for 2 1/2 years and now put it on my new 2017 X5d. No cutting of the bumper cover required. Installed it myself on both cars. No problems towing an open featherlite loaded with a GT3 . I wasn't aware of the failure you posted. Possibly over loaded tongue weight??

In any case, I am very happy with the invisihitch. Use the BMW factory wiring harness and tow module and it's plug and play with a standard brake controller.
Thanks for this info. For some reason I thought Invisihitch required the bumper cover to be trimmed, but I was mistaken. I called Invisihitch to confirm and they told me that no cutting is required.

In regards to your question about the publicized failure of a gen 1 hitch, you can read about it here:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1025750&page=6

According the post, the person posting said both his hitch and his friend's hitch broke in the same way. They were towing boats. One was a 5,000 lb boat and the other was a 6,000 lb boat.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:55 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Those failures are unforgivable unless they were massively abused, and it does not sound like they were according to the narrative. Be careful.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Those failures are unforgivable unless they were massively abused, and it does not sound like they were according to the narrative. Be careful.
That is my view as well. Btw, have you had any issues with the fact that the OEM design is such that there is a vertical metal plate behind the ball? The Invisihitch guy I spoke with told me that under certain circumstances, that plate can result in the trailer coupler binding (depending on the angle of the terrain under the trailer vs the angle of angle of the terrain under the tow vehicle). Hope I characterized his statement accurately. Do you think there is any truth to that claim?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:20 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

That is my view as well. Btw, have you had any issues with the fact that the OEM design is such that there is a vertical metal plate behind the ball? The Invisihitch guy I spoke with told me that under certain circumstances, that plate can result in the trailer coupler binding (depending on the angle of the terrain under the trailer vs the angle of angle of the terrain under the tow vehicle). Hope I characterized his statement accurately. Do you think there is any truth to that claim?
I have not had any trouble, the ball is mounted on the top position on mine. Next time I am loading I will take a look and try to imagine what could go wrong.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

I have not had any trouble, the ball is mounted on the top position on mine. Next time I am loading I will take a look and try to imagine what could go wrong.
What trailer are you towing? Is your X5 standard ride height? Just wondering whether I would set the ball on the top position as well. My X5 is bone stock, but it is the XDrive 35i, not diesel, and I do not have any suspension upgrades (no self leveling, no dynamic handling, etc.). I don't know how the X5M compares in terms of ride height.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

What trailer are you towing? Is your X5 standard ride height? Just wondering whether I would set the ball on the top position as well. My X5 is bone stock, but it is the XDrive 35i, not diesel, and I do not have any suspension upgrades (no self leveling, no dynamic handling, etc.). I don't know how the X5M compares in terms of ride height.
It's a Trailex Enclosed. Stock ride height with auto-leveling. I would guess it's a bit lower, maybe an inch, than a non M version. Given that you don't have auto leveling, you will likely be on the top position.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

It's a Trailex Enclosed. Stock ride height with auto-leveling. I would guess it's a bit lower, maybe an inch, than a non M version. Given that you don't have auto leveling, you will likely be on the top position.
Thank you.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run an F15 x5 35d w/ invisihitch setup. Tow a heavy 22' steel trailer w/ racks, box, and 2800lb car. No issues, happy with the hitch. Also use the receiver option with my Kuat bike rack.
Bought the OEM wiring harness, and had it programmed remotely as part of the invisihitch purchase, along with several other coding upgrades.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Can anyone tell me the ball height on the OEM hitch? I am looking at a Trailex and the coupler height is 21." Invisihitch offers three ball heights but the highest is 20."

Quick Reply: Invisihitch vs OEM hitch for F15 X5?