Notices

Wireless Rear view trailer camera...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Wireless Rear view trailer camera...

Just hooked up a GoVue wireless rear view camera to the trailer. Pretty darn cool for $140! I did a hard wire to my battery tender quick disconnect opposed to wiring into the reverse lights. It had two options really, hard wire or into the reverse lights but if you hard wire it is always on and you can also use it as a live video feed from the rear of the trailer for passing, changing lanes etc... Not to mention I won't be getting out of the Macan checking how close I am in the back only to realize I am 11 feet away still, roll back 3 feet get out and check again and repeat 3 times Using the battery tender quick disconnect on my trailer battery means I can unplug it easily so the wifi transmitter isn't pulling a draw when not in use.

Just a Camera and wireless transmitter with an app on your phone.
Pretty cool.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:10 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Just hooked up a GoVue wireless rear view camera to the trailer. Pretty darn cool for $140! I did a hard wire to my battery tender quick disconnect opposed to wiring into the reverse lights. It had two options really, hard wire or into the reverse lights but if you hard wire it is always on and you can also use it as a live video feed from the rear of the trailer for passing, changing lanes etc... Not to mention I won't be getting out of the Macan checking how close I am in the back only to realize I am 11 feet away still, roll back 3 feet get out and check again and repeat 3 times Using the battery tender quick disconnect on my trailer battery means I can unplug it easily so the wifi transmitter isn't pulling a draw when not in use.

Just a Camera and wireless transmitter with an app on your phone.
Pretty cool.
Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:00 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

pics??
Old 08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Is this the one?
Old 08-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by por944s2
I actually sent back the original that used the phone as the monitor, reason being my phone hated trying to connect to the wireless network of the camera to connect. Newer phones are funny about prioritizing a network without internet access... There was also a pretty decent delay. So I spent a little more and upgraded to this one I believe:
Amazon Amazon

It is pre-paired, works in real time as a rear view mirror not just back up camera and much better quality. I am very happy with the setup now, used it all the way to VIR and back without ever having a hiccup.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I am planning to try using two iPhones. I happen to have two because my work phone is also an iPhone. The plan is to mount one phone on the trailer and the other on the dash or windshield and then just do a FaceTime call between the two phones when backing up. I only need it when backing the trailer into my driveway, which requires a 90 degree backup approach and I have tall retaining walls on both sides of the driveway, so I can't see that well until the trailer is almost all the way into the driveway. Driveway is also only about 1.5x car widths wide, so not much room for error.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:36 AM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most GoPro cameras have a phone app so that you can stream a live feed to the phone. Since many of us track enthusiasts have GoPros (and the accessory suction mounts), this might be a simple way to temporarily use the camera for backing up and/or loading the car on/off the trailer.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

I've tried a few setups now - I'm on rev 4. The one I think will be the last revision is more of a DIY approach, but it's bullet proof. If you are geeky, PM me for details. Basically it's a 4-channel analog to streaming digital encoder plugged into an outdoor 5GHz AC access point, with a standard ipad/iphone IP camera viewing app. I'm using the cheapo amazon chinese cameras on the sides and rear. Works really well in place of longer mirrors. I'm contemplating putting a wide angle camera on top for road use, or one inside, for the 4th camera.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:38 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a new Hyndsight setup on ebay for $240 and figured WTH. Happy with it so far, video is OK, not great. Super simple to setup. Charge camera, push button, attach screen to windshield. I'd recommend the 'wide' setup as I bought the standard and while still useful... I would definitely trade for a wider lens
Battery life is about 6-8hrs on the camera, so I didn't even bother hardwiring it.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vr4henry
I found a new Hyndsight setup on ebay for $240 and figured WTH. Happy with it so far, video is OK, not great. Super simple to setup. Charge camera, push button, attach screen to windshield. I'd recommend the 'wide' setup as I bought the standard and while still useful... I would definitely trade for a wider lens
Battery life is about 6-8hrs on the camera, so I didn't even bother hardwiring it.
Why would you prefer the wide camera over the standard one? Have you found the standard one leaves you with blind spots in specific circumstances or generally? Did you know you can buy just the wide view camera without the monitor? Amazon price for the full kit is much higher than the price you paid on ebay it would seem.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:47 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Why would you prefer the wide camera over the standard one? Have you found the standard one leaves you with blind spots in specific circumstances or generally? Did you know you can buy just the wide view camera without the monitor? Amazon price for the full kit is much higher than the price you paid on ebay it would seem.
I want to say normal FOV is 60 or 45 degrees and Wide is 90?
Basically, I can see either the view behind trailer (area not covered by mirrors) OR I can point the camera down and see how close I am to a fence. I figure with the Wide version you could do either (or at least a better chance of it)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

I want to say normal FOV is 60 or 45 degrees and Wide is 90?
Basically, I can see either the view behind trailer (area not covered by mirrors) OR I can point the camera down and see how close I am to a fence. I figure with the Wide version you could do either (or at least a better chance of it)
Is your trailer open or enclosed? Mine is open and wondering if this would be a concern for me.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:18 AM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Is your trailer open or enclosed? Mine is open and wondering if this would be a concern for me.
Oh, mine's enclosed. I'd still probably run a Wide if I had a do-over. I just checked their website -- it's a pretty narrow FOV @ 45 degrees vs. wide at 95.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:59 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Oh, mine's enclosed. I'd still probably run a Wide if I had a do-over. I just checked their website -- it's a pretty narrow FOV @ 45 degrees vs. wide at 95.
Swap in a wide, you'll love it. I have a wide angle camera on our RV and I can see my rear bumper and far enough behind me that i can see the ground behind my open trailer. Really gives you a sense of what's back there and very useful backing up.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

are there any versions that are battery powered ?

looking for something that i can just stick on the back of whatever i am driving and have it sinc to my phone

than remove when finished

thx

Quick Reply: Wireless Rear view trailer camera...