Notices

My Trailer Diary

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Called TPD, Victor told me they got a new option: PTS.
all framing in vesuvio
car: violet
trailer: barney
Sweet! I'm on it!!!

I'm so gonna look like John Turturro in the movie "The Big Lebowski"... all purple and color coordinated. Purple trailer, purple car, purple fuel jugs, purple floor jack! LOL

Does Race Ramps make them in purple?

Last edited by 24Chromium; 02-22-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your pictures are getting me more excited for my 24! The sooner they finish your trailer, the sooner they can start on mine... LOL!

Curious, how many days will it be from the moment you finalized the drawings to your est completion date?

Thanks again for sharing your progress... and i agree, after seeing the goosenecks, makes me 2nd guess my 24 decision, hahah
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by Boostin
Got it. That's what I figured. Thanks.

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a 20' TPD today. Will be picking it up this weekend and hopefully giving it a nice detail. I figured if I didn't pull the trigger quickly I'll just keep missing them. While a 24' would be ideal, it's probably best to start with a 20', see how I like it, see how the truck pulls it, etc. and then go from there. If a nice 24' comes up, well then I might just have to buy it and put this one up for sale. At least I won't be without a trailer in the meantime!

Alright, I'll stop side tracking the thread so 24 can keep on with his great dairy!
Did you buy it from a seller in sacramento?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ex10psi
Did you buy it from a seller in sacramento?
I didn't pick up the 20' from Sac. I did go look at the 24' that was just for sale in Sac but it was actually pretty beat. Then I missed out on a nice 24' down in LA. I've also looked at the 20' in Brentwood / Oakley but that guy wants too much money. The one I ended up getting is out in Vegas. Making the trek this weekend to pick it up
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

It's A Rolling Frame

The frame has been assembled and welded to the point at which it is now a rolling trailer! It is scheduled to go into the paint shop on Wednesday. Keen eyes will note the absence of the first (bottom) row of e-track on the curb side. This row is left off on purpose so that when it comes time to install the floor, it can be slid into place (tilted up on one side, left to right) and then lowered down onto the floor. The floor sheeting has to fit very tight, so creating clearance by omitting that row of e-track now allows the floor to be maneuvered into place. The e-track will then be welded into place after the floor is installed.

Also of note, I've had the hardware for a weight distribution/sway control hitch welded onto the tongue. Yes... no way to sell it separately, now it's part of the trailer. But, if I ever sell in order to upgrade, I'm going gooseneck anyways. I'm just happy the tongue and hardware won't suffer rust rot from having the hardware bolted on.

Name:  Rolling Chassis 2-22-13.jpg
Views: 15269
Size:  207.5 KB

Last edited by 24Chromium; 02-22-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Since many of you chimed in about trailer tires, here is what I've learned so far. This is by no means the be-all-end-all, last word.

TPD uses a 15" wheel, double axle as standard on their TAG trailers. When I asked them about upgrading the tires, I learned that changing to a 16" wheel meant that the frame would have to be built for that size. Which in my case meant a change order ($$$) and at least a two week delay in my build schedule. I chose to stick with stock, in order to keep my schedule.

The 15" size for trailer tires is typically going to be a D rated tire. There may be one or two choices out there for a higher rated 15" tire, but that's likely to be it. Plus, the higher rated tires require higher pressures. Which the 15" rim that comes standard on the TPD may or may not be able to handle. I would have to research that further to verify the specs.

So, one option is to get a triple axle in order to reduce the load on each tire. The other is to upgrade to 16" E or G rated tires & wheels.

If I had it to do over again, I might go for the triple axle. They seem to be coveted by those who are in the know. For now, I'm quite happy where I'm at. I'll be extra diligent to insure my tires are in good shape and properly inflated.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boostin
I didn't pick up the 20' from Sac. I did go look at the 24' that was just for sale in Sac but it was actually pretty beat. Then I missed out on a nice 24' down in LA. I've also looked at the 20' in Brentwood / Oakley but that guy wants too much money. The one I ended up getting is out in Vegas. Making the trek this weekend to pick it up
Congrats and safe travels. Please post some pictures of it!

Come out to Thunderhill to play when you're all settled in. Mooty, Chasen and myself will all be there on Sunday, March 17th with TMR. Mooty & I plan to be there all weekend, Chasen is Sunday only.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 02-22-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget to pack bowling shoes too! Hahaha
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Bocce doesn't require special shoes!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Redsled
Advanced

This thread needs more cow bell
Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exciting... You trailer-to-track guys are in different level.. I someday I'll get there.... Until then I'm limited to my single tire setup.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

lookin good Lar!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Since many of you chimed in about trailer tires, here is what I've learned so far. This is by no means the be-all-end-all, last word.

TPD uses a 15" wheel, double axle as standard on their TAG trailers. When I asked them about upgrading the tires, I learned that changing to a 16" wheel meant that the frame would have to be built for that size. Which in my case meant a change order ($$$) and at least a two week delay in my build schedule. I chose to stick with stock, in order to keep my schedule.

The 15" size for trailer tires is typically going to be a D rated tire. There may be one or two choices out there for a higher rated 15" tire, but that's likely to be it. Plus, the higher rated tires require higher pressures. Which the 15" rim that comes standard on the TPD may or may not be able to handle. I would have to research that further to verify the specs.

So, one option is to get a triple axle in order to reduce the load on each tire. The other is to upgrade to 16" E or G rated tires & wheels.

If I had it to do over again, I might go for the triple axle. They seem to be coveted by those who are in the know. For now, I'm quite happy where I'm at. I'll be extra diligent to insure my tires are in good shape and properly inflated.
I can't tell you how much I love this:

http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html

Best money I've ever spent on ancillary stuff for any trailer I've ever run.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Life With The "Beast"

To say that I'm still getting used to a truck is an understatement. Thankfully, I take a company bus to work every day, so I don't actually have to daily drive it. However, it is my default vehicle, so I do drive it 3 or 4 times a week.

The turning radius of this thing seems like its 2x of my p-car. Suddenly I have to plan everything in advance. U-turns I never thought about twice are now challenging. I make a lot more 3-point turns than I ever did.

So far, I still have trouble parking it. It seems to always take 2 or 3 tries to get it into a stall. Its so long, I always stick out. This also makes it hard to get it parked squarely within the lines. I'm always at an angle it seems, no matter how hard I try.

Parking garages are very daunting. I was entering a garage the other night that showed the clearance at 6'-9". I didn't even know the hight of my rig, so I crept in very slowly. The radio antenna scraped the whole way. That was unnerving, to say the least. Then just a couple of nights ago, when leaving the parking garage at my office, I took an exit I'd never tried before. I always took the main exit, as it's about 2 cars wide. This one is very narrow and on a bit of an angle. As I was creeping out of the security gate, I heard a loud bang and noticed my passenger side mirror was now folded in. I stopped outside to check the damage and pull the mirror back out into place. Luckily, it didn't scratch (at least not too badly) or break anything.

Yesterday was the first day I had to fill the tank. It takes diesel and I got an app for my smartphone to find stations that sell it. As I drive in to the filing station, I notice that it sells "diesel #2". I didn't know what that meant or if my truck even used that type. I had to hunt to even find the one pump that was diesel. Then I noticed it was green in color. I wondered if that meant it was bio-diesel. I asked another patron who confirmed it was "diesel" and began to fill up. As I stood there, forever (a 52 gallon tank takes a LONG time to fill), I noticed the ground was pure black and sticky from the excess fuel that spills out. I ended up washing my hands in the windshield washer bucket. Adding insult to injury, the pump shuts off at $100. I had a LOT more to go! So, I had to pay twice in order to fill up the tank. I also got it washed yesterday for the 1st time as well. Being so damn big, it cost me an extra $15 to get the same service I get on my p-car.

I'm not loving it so far, but I'm not screaming "uncle" either. Let's see how it goes when I finally start towing.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 02-24-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

^green pumps at all big name stations is diesel of some sort and fine to use

Wait until you hit a fat nozzle truck stop that fills that 52 gallon tank in about 90 secs :-)

Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary