Notices

InTech Trailer Winch Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021 | 01:22 AM
Midwest C6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default InTech Trailer Winch Question

Just picked up a 22’ Icon, wired for winch, with winch box in floor. They only ran positive wire to box. I assume they just ground the winch to the wall of the box. Anyone with same trailer that can comment?

I would prefer to run negative back to batttery, but that’s lots of work on this trailer given where the battery in mounted in the cabinets.
Old 07-31-2021 | 01:51 PM
dasing
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

InTech installed the winch in my trailer. I'll get you a picture today.

Old 07-31-2021 | 02:07 PM
Midwest C6
6th Gear

Thanks, that would be great.
Old 07-31-2021 | 03:59 PM
dasing
Advanced

Here are a few pics. The winch was installed offset so the pulley aligns with the tow hook on the front of my car. It is a Comeup Industries, Utility Winch 5000si, 1.7 horsepower. This one:

http://www.comeupwinch.com/pro/detai...&cid=113&f=102

Here's an overview view pic of the compartment with the pulley installed.

As you can see here in the upper right below the hinge, the negative wire is indeed screwed to the compartment wall. The positive wire goes into the plastic tube.

I'm not sure what is in the plastic tube. The connection between the winch's positive wire and the wiring going to the battery and maybe there is also a fuse. I'm not sure. The winch is wired directly to trailer battery and not through the power distribution/fuse panel of the trailer. So even if the electrical cutoff switch near the fuse panel is turned off, the winch can still get power if the winch's power switch is in the on position.

Here's final pic of the compartment with the pulley stowed.

The winch came with a wireless remote which works great.
Old 07-31-2021 | 04:22 PM
Midwest C6
6th Gear

Thanks, exactly what I needed to see.

Appreciate the Porsche guys helping a Corvette guy!
Old 07-31-2021 | 04:39 PM
dasing
Advanced

Except I'm a Corvette guy too.
Old 07-31-2021 | 05:00 PM
Midwest C6
6th Gear

Nice!
Old 07-31-2021 | 05:47 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by dasing

I'm not sure what is in the plastic tube. .
I am a Yugo guy, let me answer the corvette guys…inside that tube is a “Mega Fuse” probably rated at a couple of hundred Amps (with possibly? a bus bar).
Find out the type and carry spare Mega Fuse with you. That Winch will draw a lot of initial current…

Last edited by Igooz; 07-31-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2021 | 06:37 PM
Midwest C6
6th Gear

Just finished installing, thanks for the help!

Old 08-04-2021 | 10:24 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 292 Posts

I had the winch in the pit as original equipment when I bought my 28 goose trailer. The concept looks really nice when buying the trailer. Total crap to use. They usually center the winch fairlead and few cars have a centered front tow eye. Winch will wind the cable all on one side and may possibly stall well under its load limit. I had to use a ****** block to make it work. Even then the cable sawed the fairlead right through.
I finally mounted the winch on the front bulkhead with a very HD slide bar so I could center the cable for a Porsche, to passengers side of nose, or a Mac, drivers side of center.
Old 08-05-2021 | 03:25 PM
Midwest C6
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I had the winch in the pit as original equipment when I bought my 28 goose trailer. The concept looks really nice when buying the trailer. Total crap to use. They usually center the winch fairlead and few cars have a centered front tow eye. Winch will wind the cable all on one side and may possibly stall well under its load limit. I had to use a ****** block to make it work. Even then the cable sawed the fairlead right through.
I finally mounted the winch on the front bulkhead with a very HD slide bar so I could center the cable for a Porsche, to passengers side of nose, or a Mac, drivers side of center.
You can see from my pictures I had mine offset to the passenger side to line up with my tow hook on the car.
Old 03-02-2023 | 03:11 AM
jareeymonda
1st Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dasing
Here are a few pics. The winch was installed offset so the pulley aligns with the tow hook on the front of my car. It is a Comeup Industries, Utility Winch 5000si, 1.7 horsepower. This one:

http://www.comeupwinch.com/pro/detai...&cid=113&f=102

Here's an overview view pic of the compartment with the pulley installed.

As you can see here in the upper right below the hinge, the negative wire is indeed screwed to the compartment wall. The positive wire goes into the plastic tube.

I'm not sure what is in the plastic tube. The connection between the winch's positive wire and the wiring going to the battery and maybe there is also a fuse. I'm not sure. The winch is wired directly to trailer battery and not through the power distribution/fuse panel of the trailer. So even if the electrical cutoff switch near the fuse panel is turned off, the winch can still get power if the winch's power switch is in the on position.

Here's final pic of the compartment with the pulley stowed.

The winch came with a wireless remote which works great.
I agree with you, you are right. I had a similar problem three months ago today when I installed a winch in my car, but now after seeing your description and the related information picture of the winch, I am reassured about it. The winch related information was very helpful.Thanks
Old 03-02-2023 | 01:59 PM
dasing
Advanced

Quick Reply: InTech Trailer Winch Question