Notices

E-track vs D-ring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021 | 01:14 AM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default E-track vs D-ring question

Regarding the question of D-ring vs E-track, I digged the forum all the way to 2006 but could not find a clear answer. I do found out people always prefer D-ring in enclosed trailer. I thought E-track is a much better way to tie down the car since it will not pull the wheel into a particular direction (may change the alignment?). The only disadvantage I have found out is tight space in a enclosed trailer, which can be a big pain to work with. So why?
Old 03-30-2021 | 08:25 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

I have E-track and D-rings in my enclosed trailer. I use the E-track. D rings would get me a wider angle on the straps though. E-track does imprint hot tires if I pull in at the end of the day. I have L-shaped cabinets at the front of the trailer which limit the angle I could get with D-rings in the front. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both. E-track definitely is more versatile, I can tie town anywhere the length of the trailer, or strap down extra wheels on the floor or anything else.
Old 03-30-2021 | 10:33 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

My trailer came with E track front to back on the floor and it also had D rings , i did not trust the locking capabilities with the E track so i removed it all and use
the D rings.It also left imprints on the race tires ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-30-2021 | 02:50 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 184 Posts

Since we're on the topic trailer tie downs, I'd like to add one more option to the mix. I'm about to upgrade the tie down system in my enclosed aluminum Featherlite trailer from the D rings to track as well due to increasing variations in track and wheelbase of the cars I'm transporting. I'm trying to decide between E-track and L-track. I'm leaning toward L-track as it is aluminum (as is my floor) and has a smaller footprint. Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2021 | 09:09 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
Since we're on the topic trailer tie downs, I'd like to add one more option to the mix. I'm about to upgrade the tie down system in my enclosed aluminum Featherlite trailer from the D rings to track as well due to increasing variations in track and wheelbase of the cars I'm transporting. I'm trying to decide between E-track and L-track. I'm leaning toward L-track as it is aluminum (as is my floor) and has a smaller footprint. Thoughts?
For what it's worth, you can also get aluminum e-track
The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021 | 11:07 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,543 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
For what it's worth, you can also get aluminum e-track

yea but the holding capacity of aluminum e-track is reduced. I believe the L-tracks capacities r based on the al track.
Old 03-31-2021 | 03:01 PM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
I have compared E-track and L-track. I believe the L-track is higher when installed on the floor (not pre-installed). I would put E-track on the floow and L-track on the wall.
Old 04-03-2021 | 09:53 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

E-track on the floor of my trailer is mounted below the deck by about 3/8" which reduces the tire imprinting but it still happens some.

Quick Reply: E-track vs D-ring question